Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Suicide Club!  (Read 27025 times)

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Club!
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2009, 09:43:56 PM »

My favorite author suggested that the question of suicide is the first serious hurdle for a developing intellect to overcome.

This thread has a lot of merit, so far, even among the posts which seem mutually exclusive.  Two opposing ideas can still both be right.

Iron Mongrel's right about the sex issue: the more it bothers you that you aren't having it, the harder it is to get.  Once you stop caring, it'll happen when you least expect it to.  The problem with knowing that is that it's easy to convince yourself that you "don't really care" when actually, you do.  About the only thing you can do is throw yourself bodily into other activities and interests.

Whatever you do, don't stop making games.  People will criticize them, often unfairly, but don't let any of that stop you.  If you spend 10000 hours making games, you will be a master, and you will make something people enjoy.  It's easy to let yourself stop; you shouldn't.  I'm pretty fucking envious of the fact that you and the other guys around here are able to.

Also, keep posting.  I wish Dogstar would post here more often, which is proof that just because you take a lot of crap from people around here doesn't mean your presence isn't enjoyed.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Fortinbras

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 10:17:06 PM »

Weirdly well timed thread.  A good friend and roommate of mine has been quietly talking about suicide recently.

I recommend endorphins to anyone in your shoes.  The motivation to get out and run or bike or generally just break a sweat is hard to come by when you're pretty depressed, but if you can lug yourself outside and just work out, preferably in the sun, you'll feel a lot better.  Especially if you do it with a goal in mind.
also.

I'll always try to talk someone out of killing themselves if they're thinking about it but if someone's successful they'll have nothing but sympathy and understanding from me.  It can be a real bummer to be a human being, especially if you're one with mixed up brain chemicals.

The usual argument from me aside from insisting on my high degree of give-a-shit and convincing people as best I can that they've got a fan in me is that all the best stuff is in the future.  Great people and TV and movies and books and games are on the way and it's all going to be even better than everything you've seen so far.  The hope and love that's missing?  The future is where they're hiding it.  Stay alive and let's go together and it will hurt like hell but it'll be fucking amazing.

Which isn't what someone whose neurochemistry is fucked up needs, IM and SCD are exactly and inarguably on the ball about real and practical improvements coming from actual good medical help, but then no matter why someone's that far down down I figure, I hope at least, that sympathy and positive attention will be worth something.  Way too often mental healthcare in a given area might as well not even exist, and then all you can do is feebly distract people from their misery until a real solution presents itself.

There's a bit of weight to the suicide-as-deplorable argument, but usually not much and any serious neurological disorder obviates all guilt as far as I'm concerned.  The trouble is nothing to do with the act itself but it's really tough on the people who get left behind.  Moving on after something like that is a responsibility the living didn't ask for and usually don't know how to shoulder.  When someone leaves dependents behind it's even harder to stomach.  Still it's impossible to put together much anger for someone who was so beaten down by being that like Vonnegut said of Camus, the only question they had was "why not kill yourself?" and they had no answer.

re: fighting: I am firmly in the Norondor corner with nothing substantial to add.  Nor, you are arguing humanely and passionately with an internet tough guy and even though it's a fool's errand I'm totally cheering you on.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 10:23:57 PM »

I don't really think of Ryg as an internet tough guy. I actually really like him and think he's a funny and interesting fellow who is a credit to this community. But my highest loyalty isn't to anyone in this world.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »

My pastor always says, "Growing old is not for wussies."

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »

Which isn't what someone whose neurochemistry is fucked up needs, IM and SCD are exactly and inarguably on the ball about real and practical improvements coming from actual good medical help, but then no matter why someone's that far down down I figure, I hope at least, that sympathy and positive attention will be worth something.  Way too often mental healthcare in a given area might as well not even exist, and then all you can do is feebly distract people from their misery until a real solution presents itself.

Distractions that work for me:

Volunteering.  I do a rescue ranch whenever I'm in town.  i suggest you look for the same or hit the SPCA.  Animals make people feel good about themselves, plus you meet non-assholes this way. 

Strongly worth looking into also.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 12:05:16 AM »

I'd like to go back to something Brentai said on page 1:

If you're, say, trapped in a Vietnamese prison, or missing all four limbs, or a vegetable, or staring stupidly at a bunch of Reavers off-camera, then yeah, I think it's in the interest of humanity that you put an end to it.

How's someone going to off himself with no arms or legs? Roll like a sausage to the ocean? Headbutt a glass onto the floor and hope it breaks the right way to fall on it?

More serious: Suicide is dumb. If you don't agree, then either you're dumb too because I'm right, or you're smart and I'm wrong. If you're smarter than me, and I'm not exactly a village idiot, you've certainly got something to live for.

Go for a walk or something and look at some green stuff.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 02:00:51 AM »

Bite off your own tongue?  Does that even work?

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 02:03:35 AM »

No, but if you're flexible enough you could bite off your own dick. You'd bleed enough to die from that. Then again, most people who can do that have to use their arms/legs as leverage.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 04:19:05 AM »

Hey!  Who Left This Chainsaw Running Next To My Bed?

(thanks, grandma)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 07:02:23 AM »

To: Cruel World
Re: Goodbye

You know, I've thought about suicide before. I came to realize that if you're going to give up your life, you might as well let somebody else make use of it. I don't mean put a post on craigslist advertising your willingness to explode in a subway station, but at least sign out a donor card or sell yourself to Gunther von Hagens or something.

Sometimes I think of ways to kill myself in unusual circumstances, like being naked in a 5x5 cell with only one hour before interrogation. Can you imagine the looks on the guards' faces if they came into your cell and saw you dead, with your fist down your throat?

...or chunk of your penis.

Suicide has affected me in the past. My current landlord attempted suicide after finding out that his friend, whom rumour has it he has a gay attraction to, would not be moving into the house. That led to my landlord not moving in, which meant this other guy moved in with all of his own stuff, and he put all of the stuff that was upstairs into the basement, which was where my landlord said would be a living space for me, leaving me no space to live aside from my bedroom and a hallway.
 :tldr: , I'm moving out

My best friend had suicidal issues as a kid and teenager but he's married and actually does stuff now. He just got back from Essex in Britain, getting his Master's Degree in something or other. Now he lives in Toronto, selling the internet to russian people.

And look Sora, there's probably a buddhist or taoist saying about experiencing the worst feelings ever will allow you context in experiencing the best.
...or words to that effect.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 07:04:13 AM »

Christianity considers suicide the moral equivalent of murder.  The reasoning for this is actually pretty sound; in both cases, the real victims are the people left behind.  What does the dead guy care about being dead?

So I guess if there's nobody who'd care about you being gone, it'd be okay to kill yourself.  But if there's nobody who cares about you being gone, you might want to take a good, hard look at that before doing anything rash.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »

I've thought about suicide when I was younger, I've had some genuine shit times. But now, thinking back on it, that would have been a retarded thing to do, even though the shit times aren't completely over.

I mean, I can listen to music I like, or read a good book, or wake up with sun rays warming a square foot of bedsheet on top of me, and I still think without an ounce of sarcasm: "I got beat up and spit on for a decade, I have a mysterious ailment, my family is fucked up, and I think I'm beginning to lose my hair, but I'll be damned if this isn't completely worth all of it." Talking a walk under the stars on a hot, breezy summer night sure beats the hell out of being worm food. I might meet a nice girl one day, or maybe I won't, but if one thing's certain it's that no lady I'd want to date would kiss a dead guy.

Life is a lottery from beginning to end, and everyone gets their ticket for free. The least you can do is hold on to it until all the numbers are up. If you think things are never going to get better, you're probably wrong. Can you really see the future?

And what the hell man, be considerate for the pallbearers. A suicided young man is way the fuck heavier than you'd think. It's not just a burden for the flesh.

That's one thing I wish I never had the opportunity to learn.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2009, 09:46:19 AM »

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2009, 10:47:41 PM »

Though I'm not keen on any of you dying, I feel obligated to make an idiot's comment.

Am I the only one that thinks "Suicide Club" sounds more like a tool for suicide than a group with which you can talk about suicide?

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2009, 11:20:26 PM »

You mean like in Team America when Spottswoode handed Gary a hammer to use if he was captured and needed to kill himself?
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2009, 11:35:05 PM »

:nyoro~n: I knew there was a day when never seeing Team America was going to club me in the skull. :facepalm:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2009, 04:13:51 AM »

Though I'm not keen on any of you dying, I feel obligated to make an idiot's comment.

Am I the only one that thinks "Suicide Club" sounds more like a tool for suicide than a group with which you can talk about suicide?

I've read too much about Japan to think of it as anything but Arc's intended descriptor.

Cyan Prime

• a little queer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »

So a fight about snapple has escalated into a knife threatening argument. My sister brought a knife out after I tried to drink one of "Her" snapples (That I paid for) and threatened me with it. I decided to show her that I wasn't scared of her knife by running it up and down my arm. (lots of minor cuts). When I removed her from my room she kicked me, so I decided to punch her ten commandments thing on the other side of the wall (cause if I hit her I'd go to jail cause she has tits and I don't...Well I do, but not the good kind). More minor cuts, but I think I put a good dent in it. Anyway, I am now barricaded in my room witting this, with thoughts of talking shit and not ever following through because I am a faggot. :nyoro~n:.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »

I sure wish I knew if you were telling the truth or not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17