Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 138

Author Topic: Your Job: The Movie  (Read 167433 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Your Job: The Movie
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 02:44:26 PM »

Koipond was promoted today. He just went from cheif tech support agent to the IT pool. Which is sort of going from the 4th circle to the 1st (maybe limbo on a good day).

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »

I didn't even know Ron Howard had a brother.  I guess he just walked upstairs during season 1 and never came back down.

He does apparently, and if you beleive the crazy bastard i talked to, he does a lot of coke.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »

So I got a promotion today

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 05:09:38 PM »

gratz

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 05:13:02 PM »

I got, uh, laid off today.

Which was actually a promotion.

MY LIFE IS WEIRD OKAY

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 06:59:43 PM »

so...  you're still employed?

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 09:06:43 PM »

Being your own boss might sound awesome, but working as a freelance web developer suffers the drawback that you're trying to sell people websites. You might as well be selling jars of air. Minus the jars.

Nothing undermines a sale price like using dozens of sites for free on a daily basis. Youtube is free. A videogame is $50. Why am I paying $500 for some fancy pages of typed-up text?

It's also a fact that everyone has a nephew who "knows Dreamweaver." This annoying (and often fictional) competitor will cost you no end of sales.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 09:36:13 PM »

I am that nephew.

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 11:01:13 PM »

So, Brent, I've been thinking of breaking into the industry... :pimp:

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 03:05:27 AM »

I got, uh, laid off today.

Which was actually a promotion.

MY LIFE IS WEIRD OKAY

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 10:43:56 PM »

So I guess I'm officially done with the Square gig.

Short story: they called me today, asking if I was available, and I had to say no.  Because I'm not available.  Tomorrow I deliver my third website in two weeks, and on Monday I send out two seperate invoices for $2000 and $1000.

In two weeks at Square I'd have made $800, minus the hundred that gas probably would have cost me.  Granted, I would have played a bunch of video games and gotten a lot more sleep, but the point stands.

Life isn't just about the money, but when you're kind of in the hole and your choices are between a job that will get you out of the hole and the job that put you there in the first place, you have to kind of question how insane you really are.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »

Dare I ask where the connections came from?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 01:58:49 AM »

Friend of a friend of a relative.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 02:35:56 PM »

So it's 3 in the afternoon on Wednesday and I'm just getting into work.  The boss is putzing around like he usually is when I show up, and upon noticing me, he pulls me aside while getting ultra friendly with me.  Now, Marty is typically a laidback and jolly guy, but this was THAT kind of friendly.

: (Uh oh, I know where this is going already.)

The conversation starts up with him complimenting the good work I've been doing to make second shift a lot less shitty and how everyone is saying good things about me, district manager included.  When he thinks I've been sufficiently buttered up, he drops the bomb on me.

"Alex, buddy, I need you to do me a favor."

: (Son of a bitch!) What's up, Marty?

"I know you're supposed to be off on Friday and Saturday, but I need you to come in on Saturday at 7 AM to cover for someone on 1st shift."

: (NO NO NO NO NO NO YOU BASTARD FUCK YOU!) Yeah, sure.  I can do that.

"Great, you were the only one I could ask to do this for me.  I've got the paper work done already and everything.  I'll give you Thursday off instead of Saturday and I'll make it up to you for helping me out like this.  Trust me!"

: (With what?  Some free hotdogs off the grill?  Oh wait, I already get that!) Oh, cool.  Thanks.

"No no, thank you, buddy.  You're a legend in the making here!"

If there's one thing I hate, it's being given a choice for novelty purposes only.  But wait, there's more!  The gas station I work at had the most drive-offs in the state of Wyoming for a month, so the district manager had the store switched over to pre-pay only right before I started.  This is fine, because it's less likely I'll get put in the noose for letting punks get free gas because I'm busy trying to work.  The problem lies in the fact that no one else knows, so at least 75% of people who show up for gas become irate.  Especially this guy who showed up on Thursday night right before my shift was up and was apparently in a hurry to get somewhere.  Since the situation was so dire, finding out that he had to either pay at the pump or come inside to pay me first in order to get gas shattered his grasp on reality.

So buddy comes storming in raging about how he's gotten gas from us hundreds of times and he's a loyal customer and it's clearly because I'm a lowly (black) gas station clerk that he is being forced to walk twenty feet to come inside to pay for his gas with a check card instead of simply paying at the pump.  Now, while I work, I'm always stupidly cheerful just in case someone from corporate shows up to make sure all the slaves employees are maintaining a soulless smile while milling about like empty husks, but in the face of a customer who has just insulted how my mother raised me, I was forced to point out that if we based our business on loyalty, the station wouldn't be there anymore because our loyal customers keep driving off with our gas.  By now, my replacement has shown up and I've explained the situation to her.  Sympathetic, she hops onto a register while I leave the champion of the free people with her to punch out.  As I come out and head out the door, buddy is stomping back to his car just as a cop pulls in to get his nightly cup of coffee just as he does every night.  Without missing a beat, I pass by him and mutter something under my breath.

Officer Johnson takes a look at buddy and in less than ten seconds, has him pinned to ground.

It seems that the guy has been making a habit of driving off without paying for his gas and has been frequently changing cars to avoid getting caught until now.

Best night of work ever.

While I meant to just get him in a fair amount of trouble for harrassment, I can definitely settle for him getting arrested instead.

But still!

Edit: I think the best part is that it was a skinny pasty guy.  So when he gets sent off to prison, they'll use him as currency.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 03:17:24 PM »

You don't have red contact lenses and you don't have this soulless evil grin on your face.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »

I can give you red, but I don't know about the soulless evil grin.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 03:27:05 PM »

Nah.  That's cool.  E for Effort.  Now, if you were REALLY awesome, you'd be wearing one of those David Clark headsets, the ones they use in helicopters (You can see the D/C logo clearly in the first X-Men movie when Mystique puts them on in the helicopter.)

Guess what I swiped from my squadron when I got out of the Navy, among other things.  :wuv:

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 07:56:29 PM »

Alex is my new favorite poster.

Highlights from work tonight: Inspect driver's license while accepting check. Lisa Gayla Booze. Maintain World's Greatest Poker Face.

Korean Wii Mafia representative stops by. Sell him 27 copies of WiiPlay on the last night of Buy 2, get the 3rd free. Glad I've already covered with my boss at least twice that we don't care as long as they pay legitimately.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 09:06:59 PM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 138