Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Your Job: The Movie  (Read 167009 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Your Job: The Movie
« Reply #2660 on: May 21, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »

Smaller yet: the lady I know from high school and the lady I know from college (years apart and in completely different parts of the state) are on the same team.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: May 23, 2013, 05:37:38 AM »

So in the very first project I've been assigned to at my new job, the technical lead does not know what unit testing is.

This should be fun.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: May 23, 2013, 06:06:12 AM »

Are you sure they're not just using different jargon?
I can't believe anyone could be a tech lead without at least knowing what unit testing is.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: May 23, 2013, 06:10:53 AM »

Nope, and when it was explained to them, they didn't seem to understand why we even need to do unit testing. I am as mystified as you are.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: May 23, 2013, 06:19:45 AM »

Well, I mean, I guess you don't need to do unit testing, and you can waste a lot of resources on poorly designed and poorly allocated unit tests* but...
Is it a really small project?

*in university a colleague once wrote a bugged unit test that we were using as part of a regression testing suite. Eventually we kept adding features to the point where we got buggy output on a new "unit," which narrowed down where to seek out the problem. I had to go through a half dozen tests to find the broken unit test. In my colleague's defense, I didn't notice how badly they'd fucked up until I'd concluded something must be wrong with the tests and started going through introducing output errors to cause test failures. Probably one of the more instructive wastes of 8 hours I've ever went through.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: May 23, 2013, 06:53:32 AM »

It's a project to implement a new, computer-based system for requesting, scheduling, and tracking all facilities maintenance operations for the entire campus, so no, it's not a really small project.

My guess is, he was attempting to push responsibility for all testing off onto the FM folks. I just started this week, but apparently he's been butting heads with them for a while over the structure(or lack thereof) of this project.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: May 28, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »

I got a perfect score on my performance review.

If you knew more about my company's standards you'd know why this is absolutely terrifying.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: May 28, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »

Terrifying as in "Great work, Brent. Here's some more responsibility!" or "Goddamn it Brent, you're making the rest of us look bad. The whole department's on notice because of you."

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: May 28, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »

Terrifying as in "Anybody who sees this is going to question these numbers."

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #2669 on: May 29, 2013, 11:36:46 AM »

"Sleeping your way to the top" kind of questioning?

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: May 29, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »

Cover your ass.

Actually sleep your way to the top, too.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: May 29, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »

I feel like those two things might be mutex in Brent's place of work.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: May 31, 2013, 07:20:50 AM »

So all the sales staff in the multinational pharmaceutical corporation I work for have been getting moved over to ipads for the last couple of months over their old, shitty Windows XP tablets. It's great, except the packet they sent out with all the ipads has numerous typos, errors in process, and outdated processes (that were outdated before the ipads ever shipped) that have necessitated pretty much the entire sales staff calling the helpdesk nonstop to get their ipads to actually work. They are still sending out the out-of-date packet.

The most damning is a guide for one of the apps that suggests you print it out, but has a link you have to click on the third page - if you don't click the link, you have to manually configure the connection, but the server listed in the packet changed between the time the packet was written and the launch of the program, and they didn't bother to update it, so it's literally impossible to connect using the manual instructions.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: June 05, 2013, 06:57:11 AM »

What kind of 14 year old has six abortions and what kind of parents let them keep seeing each other and WHY DOES MY JOB NOW INCLUDE DEALING WITH THIS

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: June 05, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »

You know... we all now that bullshit is everpresent and inescapable, but god help me, ever y day I live I have less and less patience for crap that has nothing to do with my performance or no impact on it.

I'm a good boy, by and large. I show up for all my shifts, I do all my work and then some, I treat all the customers I deal with as much fairness and decency as I can muster, and I never turn down a co worker who asks for help. Will I never find a place where people aren't sweating the trivial policy shit?

That's a rhetorical question of course. The only possible answer is "No".

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: June 05, 2013, 10:35:29 PM »

My work has been without a reach-in refrigerator for about two months. Management has been focusing on... which bus tub in our dishwashing area gets the plates and which one gets the glasses.

Now our walk-in cooler is overloaded and starting to not work, because we have to constantly go in and out to get things that really should be kept in a reach-in. This means that we will shortly be entirely without refrigeration.

But God help you if you put a bowl in the glasses tub.

So petty policy crap that ignores issues of actual importance is everywhere, yeah.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: June 06, 2013, 01:59:48 AM »

The theory that people rise to their level incompetence is a nice sounding, believable little business idiom, but it's far too unrealistic and optimistic for my taste. You can just say "people" and "incompetence."

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: June 06, 2013, 02:39:21 AM »

My biggest problem is that I eventually start calling that shit out and then I get fired. I mean, I'm in no danger of being fired here yet, unless I did something catastrophic (this is one of those places where the regular process would take six months to a year and be REALLY OBVIOUS... sometimes bureaucracy works both ways), but still.

My manager leaves me alone other than to carp about something trivial once a week, which is a significant upgrade over management I've had elsewhere, but he's still pretty damned useless.

I dunno, I've been hating this place a lot more since a couple weeks ago, when I got shot down hard after I took on extra work that we were once encouraged to do, which is also much more interesting, and whose administrators were very happy to have help on. Nope. Our bullshit mop-and-bucket tasks have instead grown to the point where they consume everything. The managers bitch about their bonuses being affected, so we get the shovels.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: June 06, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »

Management has been focusing on... which bus tub in our dishwashing area gets the plates and which one gets the glasses.
There are three ways to deal with bullshit like this:

If owners / whoever is directly monetarily impacted know your name at all you can go directly to them with pleas for reason or alternate ideas where the case may be.

If they don't know you're a good worker or are still confused and think the idiots slowing things down are good at what they do, you wait it out and let stuff go wrong until you're in a position to be able to step up to the plate.

If the owners are the ones making the decisions You take this opportunity to find another job before that place closes down.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: June 18, 2013, 06:25:19 AM »

I'm messing around at work and no one can stop me