Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 58

Author Topic: What's Cookin'?  (Read 88352 times)

EmaWii

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Game Blog
What's Cookin'?
« on: March 28, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »

Back like a thousand years ago when I was a lurker on Pyoko the food thread was one of my favorites, so I'm starting one here.

Look, I made chili!  ::D:

Wanted to do it with venison and fancier cheese, but the grocery store failed me and I didn't have the inclination to run around, so it's just beef and colby-jack. Sourdough bread. Yummoo!

*EDIT* And yes, I'm having issues getting pictures on here for some reason...

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: What's Cookin'?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:05:56 AM »

cheddar is best and only cheesing for chili

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »

You all need to learn how to make sushi, especially if you live near a body of water. 

A good appetizer.

EmaWii

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Game Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »

cheddar is best and only cheesing for chili

I got the recipe from my dad and when he made it for me he had this type of cheese called...canestrato. You grate just a tiny bit on top and it transforms the entire flavor. Delicious!

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »

You all need to learn how to make sushi, especially if you live near a body of water. 

I still maintain that sushi gets better the further inland you go, at least in the States.  The best sushi ever is Sushi Zanmai in Boulder, Colorado (halfway up the Rocky Mountains), followed by Sushi Fever in Las Vegas, Nevada (halfway through the Mojave Desert) and then by this one place that, I swear to God, is in an airport in Washington, DC.  Meanwhile, I've been down a good section of the western coastline and the sushi here is pretty disappointing across the board.  Badly preserved, sloppily prepared, overpriced and trying too hard to be inventive.  I suppose people just put more effort into it in places where you can't just go catch your own damn oceanlife.  Also yeah once you learn to make it yourself you realize just how silly the prices you pay for "master" chefs are.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 12:33:47 PM »

Yummo.  Ouch.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 02:18:35 PM »

Sushi? In a cookin' topic? It's more likely than you think.

After finding out that mercury levels are freakin' sky high in my favored nigiri toro, I've cut down on my raw fish consumption, keeping it to three rolls a week. Turns out this country has weak sauce restrictions on that front, surprise surprise.

A compadre got a little too fancy with his Sloppy Joes last week, tossing diced tomatoes into the mix. Without draining them. Not only did it wash out the Manwich, it washed out the beef. No seasoning or spices could save such a Food Failure.

McFrugal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 02:33:11 PM »

Flour might've.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »

The thing about sushi is that it doesn't have to be just fish. 

Sometimes, I make tempura of various thin-sliced vegetables, other times yam works just as well.  This is always a hit when you need to serve to the vegetarian crowd, but only when it is kept to an appy context. 

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 03:42:39 PM »

Sweet potato tempura rolled in rice and seaweed is a gift from the gods.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »

Dal madras over rice with poached eggs.

EmaWii

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Game Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 10:13:18 AM »

Has anyone ever made cookies with white pepper in them? I have a friend who suggested it. Chocolate chunk and walnut, but with this pepper kick that is supposed to make them taste warm even when they're a few days old.

To me, they just tasted like pepper in a mostly unpleasant way. I don't think it's a food failure, because he seemed to like them, but I also don't think it's an experiment I, personally, will be repeating.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 10:35:17 AM »

Is it possible that you used too much pepper?  That sounds like the sort of thing that might well work, but you'd need to be very careful with the quantity.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

EmaWii

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Game Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 10:46:59 AM »

Maybe. I thought I must have at first and was going to apologize for ruining them, but my friend was happy, so *shrug* I put in the amount listed for the recipe, but I think I'm just not into any heat effect enough to want to taste the pepper.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 11:01:55 AM »

Garlic soup! :9

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »

Garlic anything is wonderful.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »

Garlic anything is wonderful.

Overcompensating.

TA.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »

I am just getting into this cooking game now that I'm not living with old people who cook bad food but don't charge me for it anymore. Picked up a nice, but dirt cheap knife and decided to test it out today with some veggie chopping.

I took out some frozen tilapia we picked up at wal-mart on the cheap (I'm in Oklahoma - cheap fish is ten bucks a pound, so frozen's all a poor man can get, and I'm pretty new to cooking fish - I managed to horribly mangle a 30 dollar side of fluke a couple of weeks ago and I learned my lesson but good) and tossed it in a baking dish with some white wine, chopped celery, onion, lemon and various herbs and spices. Baked it for a half hour and cooked up a sauce with the juices, a little milk and some tempura batter to thicken. It was gone before I could get my camera out, I'm sad to say.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 07:12:40 AM »

I made chili yesterday with the consistency of pudding as part of an experiment with peanut butter and tomato soup. Since it bordered on a FOOD FAILURE, I decided not to throw in bananas.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 58