Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics  (Read 13459 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:28:21 PM »

Hoy!

I have been wanting, for some time, to start a Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics thread.  It would also be a good website feature, but I think it is a subject with lots of room for discussion and outside contribution!

I intend, at some point in the near future, to talk about Maus, Heartbreak Soup, and The Tick: The Complete Edlund, but I don't really have time at the moment.

However, I figured I should start the thread anyway, to remind everybody that Free Comic Book Day is this Saturday, May 2.  Go to your local comic shop and check out the free things.  See if there is something you like!  I find that Fantagraphics and Top Shelf put out consistently great FCBD books.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:31:46 PM »

I'm going to say Fables, because of all of its merits that make it a great read yes, but with the important bit being that by using fairy tale characters you already have a high concept that people can understand the minute you tell them about it, and broad strokes for the characters themselves when first easing into the story.

Thanks for the heads-up on FCBD.  I will need to stop by the LCS if I have time before work on Saturday.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »

I took two days off work to go back to school and help out loiter at my old comic book store.

I fucking love Free Comic Book Day

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 10:17:35 PM »

My local comic store doesn't do FCBD.   ::(:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 11:36:22 PM »

:fukit: :serious:

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 01:23:50 AM »

Shit. I completely forgot. I probably need to work, then.
Ah well. I could use the cash.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 03:16:54 AM »

My local comic shop is doing 25% off collected-editions that day.  I am going on a shopping spree.  Must have more classic batman story arcs to read.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 07:40:06 AM »

A friend of mine showed me Transmetropolitan over the weekend.  I don't know if it's a good candidate or not.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 07:44:06 AM »

Need recommendations for decent stories that are in a single collected edition.  Still working through V for Vendetta.  Sin City looked tempting, but it looks like it spans many many volumes.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 08:12:55 AM »

Yeah, but I think each volume is a single, complete story.

BŁge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »

For the most part. But there's little links between them all that reward reading the complete series.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 08:43:22 AM »

Currently looking to nab Batman: Longest Halloween.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »

The always-excellent Joanna at Comics Worth Reading has a list of FCBD recommendations.  I totally should have remembered to include Owly and Drawn and Quarterly.

Max: Have you read Bone?  It's available in a single volume that's VERY reasonably priced considering its page count.

As for the others I mentioned at the top of the thread -- Maus is in two volumes but you can get the both of them fairly cheaply, Heartbreak Soup is technically part of a series but is totally self-contained, and The Tick: The Complete Edlund is pretty pricey but well worth it if you're a Tick fan.  I'm assuming you've probably heard of Maus; Heartbreak Soup is a collection of stories about the people in a Central American village.  Again, I intend to go into more depth on these books and why I love them later, but I'm in a bit of a rush just now.  Suffice it to say that neither one of them is very much like Batman.

Oh!  Also, Ghost World generally goes on most people's "comics for people who don't read comics" list, and is a single volume.

(And yes, I got Ghost World from Batman because of Clowes's appearance on Simpsons where he said he just wanted to draw Batman.)

EDIT: All-Star Superman is another one that's two volumes but is reasonably priced, represents everything I love about comics, and requires a much longer discussion when I have time for it.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 04:25:06 AM »

Let's see...going over my trade shelf, the Contract With God trilogy, Mouse Guard, Pride of Baghdad, Sandman, and Y: The Last Man are all good beds. Oh, and maybe Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, which is pretty well self-contained.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »

Was limited to TEN free comics.  Of stuff not directly aimed at kids (NASCAR comics? What?), I found nine including an aliens comic.

I picked up at 25% off
Aliens Omnibus 1 - 6 (About $18 a book)
Batman: Longest Night ($15)

Shop owner looked at the list of comics I've bought from him to date (his computer tracks all of this), and recommended I start on the Frank Miller Batman stuff like Year One.  I plan to go back and get the AvP omnibus books in the future, he only had the second one there today or else I would have gotten it.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 11:39:49 AM »

I've said it before but it bears repeating: Batman: Year One is the only thing by Frank Miller I've ever really liked.  (Although I hear good things about Daredevil and Ronin.)

Oh, and nice icon choice, Arc.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »

Just read 'The Stuff of Legend' by Th3rd World comics.  The last double-page art in this one alone is worth picking up.  Borderline grimdark.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 12:11:21 PM »

I'm only two pages into 'Attack of the Alterna Zombies' but uh, it's Jesus and Abe Lincoln fighting zombies and they just ate some mushrooms...

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 01:03:21 PM »

ALTERNA! LEND ME YOUR POWER!

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »

Bone's rad. I read it for the pictures AND the story!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10