Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics  (Read 21984 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »

Also

Bane became a victim of one of comics’ most annoying tropes: rubber-banding. Rubber-banding is what happens when a character is developed in a new way and a new writer decides, “Fuck all that. I’m making him like he was during his Greatest Hits phase so we can tell the same stories all over again.” Other victims of this include Magneto, Riddler, Sandman, Two-Face and Deathstroke. Riddler’s pissed me off the most.

They need to stop doing this. Especially Geoff Johns and Brian Bendis.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2013, 06:36:19 PM »

Hey, this comic actually sounds awesome.  Not awesome in, like, an objective sense, but awesome in a "points for creativity" sense.  If it was meant to be dead baby comedy or whatever real people are calling it these days then bravo.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2013, 12:12:20 PM »

Part 2: Black Adam, Catwoman, Cyborg, Deathstroke, and Doomsday.

So, Doomsday is in this game, but not Blue Beetle or Booster Gold. Not to be , but COME ON.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »

Awww yisss

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »

Coming soon: Itty Bitty Hellboy.  A Hellboy comic for kids.

Not a joke.  Not a spoof.  Not one of those winking ironic "kids' comics" that's actually a satire of kids' comics and is really intended for adults.  An actual, honest-to-goodness Hellboy comic for kids, by Baltazar and Franco.

Do you have any idea how happy the very IDEA of this thing makes me?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2013, 05:17:01 AM »

Welp, one of the comics I've been most looking forward to is out this week: Jeff Lemire's Trillium.

It's two stories in the pulp tradition: in one, The Soldier, a PTSD-suffering WWI vet searches for a lost Inca temple; in the other, The Scientist, one of the last survivors of the human race attempts to make inroads with an alien civilization, hoping to find a defense against a sentient virus.

It's a flipbook -- two front covers.  Hold it one way and it's The Soldier; the other and it's The Scientist.  And as you might expect, the two stories meet up in the middle.

(Seeing as you can't exactly duplicate this technique in a digital comic or a trade collection, it gives the individual issue something unique to set it apart.)

The conceit is a good one and it fits the premise of two worlds unexpectedly coming together well.  But the work is good enough to stand on its own without the extra format tricks.  I find Lemire at his best when he's creating his own worlds and writing, drawing, and coloring them himself -- he shares a color credit with Jose Villarubia, and the colors look fantastic; they're an improvement over Sweet Tooth, and I thought Sweet Tooth looked great.

This is cool stuff, and well worth checking out.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »

Oh I'm a little late on this but Top Shelf's annual sale is on.  This year's highlight is probably the first book of March, written by Congressman John Lewis and Andrew Aydin, with art by Nate Powell.  It's currently half off at $7.50, which is cheaper than the digital price.

Other titles to watch include The Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire at $10 and Blankets by Craig Thompson for $20 (or $5 more for the hardcover).

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »

Sandman is the reason I wish Neil Gaiman wrote more comics.

And what I like about that sentence is that it can be applied just as easily to Sandman as a body of work or to the issue of the new prequel series that's just out last week.

Williams is the perfect artist for the story Gaiman's telling here.  Fractals and layers and some very nice Kirby and Ditko homage stuff at the end.

Welcome back, Neil; we missed you.

And Mr. Williams, it's a shame about Batwoman but I will follow you wherever you go.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »

30 years in, Love and Rockets continues to be one of the best goddamn comics there is or ever has been, period.

There's a whole lot more I could say about the latest issue -- and I'm only halfway through it! -- but man, mostly it's just fucking breathtaking that these two guys are still at the top of their fucking game.

There are plenty of creators who've been in the game for 3 decades -- or longer.  There are a handful who did truly seminal work that has been canonized among the best the medium has to offer.

Of those, it's hard for me to point to many and say their latest work is as good as anything they've ever done -- Crumb and Aragones are the others I can think of off the top of my head, and they're the guys Los Bros were reading when they were kids.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]