Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Make Your Own Magic Cards  (Read 4590 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Make Your Own Magic Cards
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 11:18:31 AM »

Man, talk about a strong card outside of block.

sigh
Poison Pizza     BB2

Play Poison Pizza only if you have one or more poison counters.

Draw Five Cards. You gain three Poison counters.

"Oh no, I'm not making two stops."

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 03:05:19 PM »

THAT'S MORE LIKE IT
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 05:54:26 AM »

Okay, this isn't a MTG question, but MTG is peripherally relevant. I'm trying to help with some CCG design work for a non MTG game. There's a small number of cards that need to be made that embody a gambling minigame. One is called "High Stakes" The other is called "Double-Cross".

These cards actually need to be kind of universal, without much to anchor them to the game's specific mechanics. Examples of Magic cards with a somewhat similar idea:

Goblin Game
Menacing Ogre
Cursed Scroll

High Stakes is a creature/character combat-related card, where both sides are playing a sort of a 'blackjack' game. The aim is for two players to be gunning for the higher number, without going over or tying: Here's what I made yesterday after fumbling around for a while (this idea does not work properly, but gives you an idea of my text limitations - brevity is critical due to space considerations):

If combat was just initiated, each player secretly picks a
number between 0 and 7 and then reveals that number.
The higher number is added to that player's combat total
and the lower number is subtracted from that player's combat
total. If there is a tie, each player loses 2 life instead.

In addition to the fact that this sample is BAD AT MATHS, I can't have folks choose a number secretly, because this must work for online play. So while IRL you can write down a number, that's a nonstarter here.

In terms of maybe using a card from hand, all cards in the game have at least one statistic in common, a value that runs from 0 to 7, so maybe there's something to be based on one player setting aside a card and having the opponent bet on the value?

I don't yet have an idea for Double-Cross, but I wanted it to be some thing like both players fight to avoid the lower or 'worse' value, and possibly making it a character-removal card.

You don't need to know much about the game, excape that it's closer to Wars or the old Star Wars CCG than it is MTG (the 'common stat' I mention above is very much like destiny numbers and covers the same range).

I'm sure I'll figure out something eventually, I'm just wondering if anybody had any ideas. If it comes to it, I don't mind stealing text wholesale from another game.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 06:38:35 AM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile