Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Let's Play Let's Play Watching Game!  (Read 9789 times)

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Let's Play Let's Play Watching Game!
« on: May 16, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »

So I've been going through a bunch of let's plays lately. It's nice ear-candy while I practice my drawing, it doesn't require the same level of attention as a podcast, it allows me to relive the best moments of videogames I've already played without having to play them again, and it shows me what people like about games I don't plan on ever playing. It's kind of frustrating sometimes, especially when I know the games ("no! it's the middle door! you haven't been there yet! no oh god don't backtrack noooooooo!"), but that's why I never just sit in front of the things and watch them like TV.

I've half a mind to actually make some myself, but I'm not sure. Maybe for Baroque, or the Shadowgrounds games, since those haven't been done yet and I know them inside and out. The main obstacle is that I'm pretty sure no one would watch. But I'll certainly replay those sooner or later, so I might as well, you know?

Alright so uh yeah let's share some decent ones if you've seen any. I'll list those I've seen, but be warned: I don't pay a huge amount of attention to these things and I have extremely low standards. It takes some pretty severe douchebaggery from the player to make me quit watching entirely, so follow at your own risk.

Eversion by Quantum Crayons
This is the first one I've watched, because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and I was too much a a wuss to play it. It's a blind run too (meaning that it's the player's first attempt at the game), and those tend to be a lot of fun. Now I wish I had played it, it's really not as bad as I thought. Though I might be saying that because someone else was busy getting spooked in my place.

Metal Gear Solid 4 by Turmio1
I watched this one because I'll probably never buy this game, but I went through all the MG games before and wanted to know how the whole thing ends. It's a no-kills run, which is pretty interesting. And the guy has this awesome Indian (I think) accent and is pretty liberal about the swearing. Gat dammit! He knows to keep quiet during the cutscenes, which is a huge plus.

Valkyrie Profile by crimeinpartner
This one's pretty good, it's a hard mode run and he does all the endings and the Seraphic Gate. And he makes it look frikkin' easy. I've also seen his Castlevania: SOTN run which is reasonably thorough and an okay watch if you're not utterly sick of the game by now.

Fallout 3 by Arm4g3dd0nX
This is a blind run, which usually bodes well, but this guy refuses to use anything but the 10mm pistol until he runs out of ammo for it, he reloads every time he gets hurt, and he picks up everything off the ground. I mean everything. He spent like 10 videos gathering and selling every single empty can out of the Super Duper Mart. It's a fascinating study into obsessive compulsive behavior but it's terrible to watch. I quit that one completely, and link to it only for the curious and the masochist. (Oh my God he's up to 188 videos now someone help this man.)

Eternal Darkness by katrinonus
I started watching this one out of curiosity, then it made me play the game myself. Then I continued watching it. I think it's at least partially a blind run, though if I remember correctly she had seen parts of the game before. She's cleared the game with two of the three Ancients by now, Xellotath and Chatturgha, the latter of which she attempted to speed-run, and she promises to do something interesting with her Ulyaoth run. Also I gotta mention that I like her voice for some reason, so it may color my impression. From her I've also seen Haunting Ground, the Gamecube Resident Evil remake, and I'm just about at the end of Resident Evil 4.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic by johnofordo3
I like this game, and seeing someone go through it blind is a lot of fun. (To me.) The brit accent is just bonus. I've mentioned before that a certain roof-chase sequence in DM is a good example of first-person platforming done right, and in case anyone's interested, it's shown in this part.

Alright, I have some more but this should be a start.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Let's Play watching game!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:36:34 PM »

Kaizo Super Mario World by SirRonLionHeart
You will either love this guy or hate him.  Fortunately, it doesn't take too long to figure out which.  He has over 550 videos, the majority of them are him playing the N64 Zelda games.  Other than this game (a super-hard hack of Mario World), he knows the games very well, and does 100% completion.  Yet he still acts surprised at everything and repeatedly gets into arguments with the characters (that he voices himself).
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

PhoenixUltima

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »

A let's play of Baroque would be awesome. The game looks like it has a really neat story, but the actual game is nearly unplayable because of the broken-ass camera. That, and every enemy on the level seems to know where you are at all times.
The captain of the gravy train!

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:28:28 PM »

Wow. I didn't think it was possible for Sir Ron to top himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8sElnS1rfQ&feature=PlayList&p=6805729040D24BD0&index=1

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Let's Play Watching Game!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:03:40 AM »

:ohshi~:

Let's Play Nethack

I don't know what's worse, that someone made this, or that I want to watch it.

Spikey

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 11:35:07 PM »

If you enjoy watching other people suffer, I reccomend pokecapn's Sonic 2006 blind runthrough.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Sonic2006/

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 06:09:01 AM »

This guy is lping warcraft 1. I can't emphasize how badass that is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrVoGoFMPJQ&feature=related
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »

I have to suppress my urge to click on the screen while he's moving his guys around.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 04:49:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-T04xS6VF0&feature=related

Pretty hardcore, though a questionable voice and would be more impressed with something beyond level 10.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 08:35:13 PM »

He's only level ten at episode seventeen?

I was never really that hardcore a player, but I'm pretty sure I remember being around level fourteen after a little over an hour.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 11:47:16 AM »

7-10 minutes per video + extra shit + presumably brand new + Goldshire has some death traps + typical Let's Play time-waste faggotry

Hell you're probably misremembering or mentally knocking off time for some "trivial" task like traveling. It's almost physically impossible to solo to 14 in an hour.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 12:00:30 PM »

Human starting area is a FUCKING PAIN. Defias pillagers! hurrr

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 07:35:18 AM »

Which were emulated in the Murloc, Gnoll and (later)Kobold camps.

Did you roll a class that benefits from fine-tuning all the way down to level 9? No? Get fucked by groups of mobs that can only aggro in packs of 2-5.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 01:25:11 PM »

Did you roll a class that benefits from fine-tuning all the way down to level 9?

This sentence has no content, please revise

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 06:03:59 AM »

2.0 and 3.0 and general quality of life enhancements

or

you're a druid who still has to punch his way to level 30 to have even a passable rotation in non-caster form. Pulled three adds? Die horribly, Vanilla style.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLmpcgMr5Yc&feature=related

I found someone worse than me at Knytt Stories.
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 08:29:21 PM »

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 08:33:50 PM »

How does Dredd sound so much like Peter Cullen?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2 3 4