Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: City of Heroes  (Read 11062 times)

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: City of Heroes
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 02:02:07 PM »

Yeah, the CoJ is around.  If you still IRC, check out the Espernet channel #urbanvigilante.

And yeah, pretty much the only two servers that have any amount of regular players are Freedom and Virtue.  Freedom is full of babbling cocktards, and Virtue is full of half-vampire succubi werewolves. 

inyandep

• the black cat of ILL OMEN
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 05:37:47 PM »

freedom is a good server for just. having lots of people on it that aren't total jagoffs. of course, they're all idiots. just sayin'. freedom and virtue? like matter and antimatter.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »

Who are you and why don't you understand punctuation and capitalization?

Wait... Noro, is that you?

inyandep

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2009, 06:02:05 PM »

Wait... Noro, is that you?

oops you got me !

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 08:45:09 PM »

Fuck, this game is way more awesome now.

inyandep

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 07:05:34 AM »

yeah, it's way better designed with S+ costume pieces. now hop into mission architect and get yourself about 50 levels.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2009, 09:27:27 PM »

I unlocked the epic archetypes last night. My night widow to be hit level 10 and I decided to give her a better costume.

The government will never suspect her in her position as secretary of state.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »

:perfect:

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »

So, this thread hasn't been posted on in over a year.

What's happened with City of Heroes?

Well, now there's something NEW for all you level 50 kids to fool around with: The Incarnate System.

Basically, it's an advancement system that is still being rolled out and tested.  However, the first tier of this system, the Alpha Slot has already been unlocked.

With the Alpha Slot, you select one of four primary attributes (Recharge, Damage, Accuracy, and Endurance Cost), and work on its progression by using Incarnate Shards, which are salvage items that will drop from any level 50 enemy.  When you load the Alpha Slot enhancement in to the slot, it will give you an across-the-board bonus of its type to all of your powers.  They recharge faster, or deal more damage.  Since this is an enhancement bonus, it is subject to the Enhancement Diversification penalties that have been in place for many years.  However, as you improve your Alpha slot enhancement, its bonus will grow, and a portion of that bonus will not be subject to the ED rules.  For example, the top-tier Musculature enhancement I'm seeking for my Blaster boosts the damage of all my powers by 45%.  2/3rds of that bonus is not subject to the ED rule, so by using that, I will have, at the very least, a 30% damage boost across the board.

Also, at a certain point, the Alpha Slots will also grant a Level Shift, which will increase your base stats for HP, base damage, and so forth, to an effective level of 51.  This will be reflected by the number 50 (+1) when targeting a player character. 

This is all just the beginning of the Incarnate system.  Already, the next 4 slots are in beta, and they promise to be some really nifty things, including a summoned pet for any archetype, a new AoE blast, and much more.  I don't even know what all it is.  TA?  Care to elaborate on what else is coming?

Anyway, now's a great time to get back in to CoX if you were ever waffling on it.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »

This week is Decrepit MMO Update Week.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »

oh man I just picked up the 307th expansion for EQ and it is a game changer

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 12:35:17 PM »

Hey, it might be, for all I know.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2011, 02:02:37 PM »

And free to play is now live for all previous subscribers.  Any paid time you accrued for the veteran rewards program carries over, but if you had a server full of characters, you can only unlock five of them or so for free.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2012, 09:50:46 PM »

Welp, unsurprisingly, CoH is shutting down by the time the year's out.  Pretty good run, really -- how many MMO's have made it 8 years?  There's WoW, FF11, the Everquests, Ultima Online...Galaxies shut down right around the 8-year mark...

And I guess there's Gemstone 4, if we want to open THAT can of worms.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2012, 02:44:45 AM »

That's a shame. I always really enjoyed City of Heroes, but I never stayed subbed for the same reason I think a lot of people didn't. I always felt like the game didn't have enough variety and just didn't do a good enough job of setting late game goals. I'll be sad to see it go, though. I had a good four or five months playing it.

I'm a little surprised that going to free to play didn't save them, as it did for so many other MMOs. Maybe it was too late. :(

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »

Welp, unsurprisingly, CoH is shutting down by the time the year's out.  Pretty good run, really -- how many MMO's have made it 8 years?  There's WoW, FF11, the Everquests, Ultima Online...Galaxies shut down right around the 8-year mark...

And I guess there's Gemstone 4, if we want to open THAT can of worms.

It is entirely surprisingly, actually.  The game was and is profitable, more than paying for itself in a time when NCSoft is posting losses from their Korean games.  There was a lot of new content in the works and on the test server, including major mechanics overhauls and a new powerset released last week.  Even the development team didn't know this was coming until the same day.  Shutting CoH down makes no sense.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »

My only hope is that they release a stand-alone character creator from all of this.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2012, 10:22:52 AM »

The game was and is profitable
Maybe it wasn't actually as profitable as you were led to believe? Or maybe the suits didn't see the studio breaking even overall and just decided to dissolve it.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »

"So another theory on the Paragon closure is that apparently when Cryptic and Paragon split, they only licensed CoH to NCSoft for a five year period. Five years are up this year and Perfect World, who now owns Cryptic, doesn't want  NCSoft to renew the license and have it compete with their own super hero MMO (Champions Online)"

From a friend of mine, but I don't know anything about how accurate it could be.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4