Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

How do you access the WFE?

Bookmark.
- 46 (51.7%)
Google (page rank!).
- 2 (2.2%)
worstforumsever.com into address bar.
- 7 (7.9%)
sharkey.gamespite.net into address bar.
- 19 (21.3%)
Wait we're not at either of those addresses any more.
- 15 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 74

Author Topic: State of the Worst  (Read 119335 times)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: State of the Worst
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2008, 11:24:07 PM »

I'm kind of confused as to why there's no thread page numbers at the top of the page, only at the bottom.

That makes the two of us, as it should be appearing. No dice. Time to dive back into the code again.

First off: I had no idea this thread had more than the third page until a few days ago, due to this. It’s not really a huge deal, I suppose, as most people here know to look to the bottom for page numbers, but it’s going to throw off anyone linked here in the future.

Doom had asked if the board split was permanent, and if the future of The Mayor was up in the air, to which I replied 'Most assuredly.'
I've answered anyone who asked me privately, and was careful until I had the design and articles backed up. The closing and potential reopening of the Mayor has been out of my hands.

It’s not that you haven’t explained yourself, because you gradually have over the course of the past three months. It’s that it took two weeks of waiting, speculating on what happened or if it was actually dead, and finally Doom’s PM to finally get the whole story. It’s that you didn’t even think of letting anyone who’d helped out on The Mayor know why the kick-ass sofa fort we’d been building had burned to the ground, rather, waiting quietly over here for someone to come to you, and carry:
Rest assured, the KKK will be launching a community site for the WFE this month, once Parish creates the sub-domain. I'll see if he can do as such this weekend, so I can have some working version up next week.
back to the thread.

Why’s it been so difficult to get you to explain yourself as of recent? It took eight pages of a thread devoted entirely to asking you about the bannings for you to say that you thought it was a bad move, and that there wasn’t any particular reason for it. Be as mysterious as you want, Arc, but if we’re not in on the joke it gets stale fast; the fact that we have to keep chasing you down for little snippets of information just makes it seem like you don’t respect us enough to make the meager effort of a single concrete statement.

Not my intention to give a hearty fuck-you. My access to The Mayor FTP was blocked, and when I tried to change anything through WordPress, the index page was later blocked and changed to the readout you see now.

I’m honestly not really sure if you were even aware of what a fuck-you the disappearing act was, cause it seems to completely defy logic that someone as consistently responsible as yourself would up and do something so broadly spiteful. I’m glad you meant no malice by all this, but this random new tendency of yours to leave the community out-of-the-loop is an actual, genuine problem if you’re gonna be running the show here. I’m hoping these were just isolated freak incidents caused by gamma radiation.

On the factoid side, my initial first (junk) post (that is inside that text) reads like a going away statement. Suh-weet.

Thad pointed out the date to me in a PM earlier this week. I had, until then, taken this as pretty solid proof that you’d been the one to take the site down. I get the feeling we’re never going to know for sure who took down the site.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2008, 11:35:26 PM »

Well, as usual, all evidence points to the Gender Confusion Mafia.

But Kabbage: Your grievances largely mirror my own, back when the RING RING thread was first posted.  I was deeply frustrated at the time by the GCM's actions (a trend that continued up until I divorced myself from the Pyoboards entirely, to much rejoicing) and Arc's behavior at the time set off several alarm bells in my head.  So, I told him I wasn't coming back here, we had some PMs, yadda yadda, and Arc finally explained himself and everything was fixed.

I've received a lot of flak for threatening to fuck off so often, but things tend to get fixed after I do it.  Stop reinforcing the behavior if you don't want to see it.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2008, 11:40:05 PM »

Man, Japan has a mafia for everything nowadays.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2008, 11:46:54 PM »

Well, as usual, all evidence points to the Gender Confusion Mafia.

I'd say the evidence is circumstantial.

I don't think there's any hard evidence pointing one way or the other; I simply choose to believe Arc because he has not, to my knowledge, ever taken down a website and then lied about it.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2008, 11:53:12 PM »

Well, 99.9% of the childish administrative bullshit that the community has endured came from the GCM, so, I mean, if I were a betting man...

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2008, 12:08:34 AM »

Am I the only one who believes the "community" or whatever needed this kind of threshing?

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2008, 02:51:35 AM »

Nobody in this free-to-use messageboard owes you people anything, most especially the admin who spend selfless hours working for the satisfying reward of not getting paid and user-bitching. If every one of them banned us all and quit tomorrow there would STILL be absolutely no call for the random bouts of "Wah wah you owe me such and such"

I'm not picking on you Kabbage. I've heard it from several sources and I think it should be curbed in the interest of community harmony common sense.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2008, 07:21:29 AM »

It’s that it took two weeks of waiting, speculating on what happened or if it was actually dead, and finally Doom’s PM to finally get the whole story.

In the first two weeks, I had my doubts The Mayor would be staying around. I still uploaded the stories as they came along (Thanks to Doom for providing further updates), but let's face it, the site was on Pyoko webspace. Terra & Arcturus hated the design from beginning to end, told me it wouldn't grace the main page of pyoko.org as such, and likely wasn't going to remain running after I left their boards. Sure enough, I'm blocked out. Understandable. Sure, I wish an alternate webspace had been available here in February, but alas.

I’m hoping these were just isolated freak incidents caused by gamma radiation.

The Bananaphone Massacre of '08 was entirely my fuckheaded mistake, out of mild paranoia, spite, and misunderstanding. The Mayor has been out of my hands, but if I had read that thread before today since leaving, I would have addressed you sooner. The Anti-Christ sounds more hospitable than me after reading all that.

Anyways, good to have you around, drop me a message anytime man.

I've received a lot of flak for threatening to fuck off so often, but things tend to get fixed after I do it.

That had no bearing in my messages to you. Nyah!

Nobody in this free-to-use messageboard owes you people anything, most especially the admin who spend selfless hours working for the satisfying reward of not getting paid and user-bitching.

The Mayor is a different beast, though. Terra wanted a new central site, I made my proposal, Terra approved, and then I asked others to come aboard. Kabbage is correct in saying I should be responsible for updates on that end. I stayed discrete and only addressed questions by private messages initially while backing files up, but now there is no reason not to go public.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2008, 07:25:05 AM »

I'll grant that my magical whining powers aren't responsible for everything good in the world.  Doesn't stop me, though.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2008, 07:42:11 AM »

So what is exactly is preventing the Mayor from just popping up somewhere else?  If nothing else, I can provide website on my domain just to get things moving.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »

You know, I think that if the Mayor were just a front page that fed from several people's own independent blogs, it'd be easy to manage and easy to update.  I know a lot of people were frustrated by how long it took their updates to get edited and posted; I'm not sure the editing staff and the writers were communicating well before the whole thing went south.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2008, 10:32:44 AM »

Or just communicating at all. Less overhead is a must.

I'll wait for Sharkey's reply for now, but Super Rad on Constantine for the offer.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »

Am I the only one who believes the "community" or whatever needed this kind of threshing?

Perhaps.  But there are about a million ways it could have been handled better, most of which boil down to people actually SAYING "I have a problem with you and would like you to leave."

Nobody in this free-to-use messageboard owes you people anything, most especially the admin who spend selfless hours working for the satisfying reward of not getting paid and user-bitching.

Owes?  Maybe not, but it's not a community without people.  Over on the other side, Vance is doing his damnedest to find out what a messageboard looks like after everyone who disagrees with the admin team leaves.  It looks kinda lonely to me.

The admins aren't the only ones spending hours of their time on the benefit of the community.  All the regulars here have done that, and deserve some basic respect and acknowledgement for it.

If every one of them banned us all and quit tomorrow there would STILL be absolutely no call for the random bouts of "Wah wah you owe me such and such"

Guild, you ARE aware of why there is a new messageboard here, yes?

Arc's a great guy and a great admin.  But he also kicked off this forum with a bunch of arbitrary bans, and it took a bunch of us raising hell to get them lifted.

This isn't a democracy, and the admins DO get final say.  But if they act like bastards and piss off the majority of contributors, it's going to get awfully quiet around here.

Anyway.  As Arc already pointed out, you are once again talking about something completely different from everybody else.  And I am once again dumb enough to respond.  Everybody loses!

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »

This is going exactly where I thought it was going to go.  Still squabbling over past events.  Yes, I know there was a lot of bullshit going on, and we don't precisely know where to point the finger.  Some really cool content was lost.  But from what I'm reading here, there are some plans to look into restarting that effort.

I usually try to stay the hell out of the community bickering, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think there is anything we can do about what did happen.  I would much prefer to look at what we can do now.  For those of you seeking a witch-hunt, I think the wolf games are a better alternative for you.

While the board is not a democracy and admins are the final rulers, I do like to think that with substantial reason occasionally backed by majority opinion has some influence on various issues.  Sometimes not.  This is just the nature of the beast boards.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2008, 01:09:17 PM »

I can see the per-day breakdown of posts in a month, but not how many posts an individual user (other than myself) wrote in that month.  Since I can see my OWN posts per month, I assume that's just a flag that needs to be set somewhere in public profile settings, but I can't say for sure.

Try any member now under their Profile Info > Show Stats (For Global Mods only, SMF is too jacktarded to give such rights to standard members).

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2008, 01:21:13 PM »

I usually try to stay the hell out of the community bickering, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think there is anything we can do about what did happen.  I would much prefer to look at what we can do now.  For those of you seeking a witch-hunt, I think the wolf games are a better alternative for you.

Well hell, either we call shenanigans when something goes horrendously wrong, or we pretend everything's peachy, let it fester over the course of several years, and eventually watch it blow a forumwide rift during some random thread about gay men. This wasn't a witch hunt, this was me making sure the horsehockey with The Mayor and the bannings wasn't indicative of "policy" around here. If I'd let sleeping dogs lie, I'd still be all set to go down with Pyoko instead of hearing Arc's explain his reasons.

While the board is not a democracy and admins are the final rulers, I do like to think that with substantial reason occasionally backed by majority opinion has some influence on various issues.  Sometimes not.  This is just the nature of the beast boards.

This doesn't throw accountability entirely out the window; awesome as Arc usually is, I don't think there's ever been an admin who's been completely, infallibly perfect in all respects. Save, of course, for myself, during the short-lived Golden Age of Brontoforumus.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »

This doesn't throw accountability entirely out the window; awesome as Arc usually is, I don't think there's ever been an admin who's been completely, infallibly perfect in all respects. Save, of course, for myself, during the short-lived Golden Age of Brontoforumus.

This is the part where the bronto banner falls majestically across a roaring T-Rex ala Jurassic Park.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2008, 01:31:26 PM »

Still squabbling over past events.

SERIOUSLY WHY THE FUCK DO YOU THINK BOTS ARE A GOOD THING IN FPSES WHEN WE'RE TRYING TO PLAY WITH EACH OTHER
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2008, 01:49:17 PM »

An Adventure 65 Million Posts In The Making...

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »

THE BOOK AND THE MOVIE AND THE GAME AND THE NEW FLAVOR OF DEW WERE ALL EQUALLY PERFECT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 74