Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Random TV Thoughts  (Read 58207 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Random TV Thoughts
« Reply #500 on: May 06, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

Yeah, I've hit a point where I seldom watch the extended interviews anymore, and in Barton's case I didn't make it through the regular interview part without shouting at the TV, so.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #501 on: May 11, 2012, 09:56:18 PM »

You know, I liked The Finder.  For two main reasons:

1. The procedural genre seriously needed some fucking levity;
2. Michael Clark Duncan makes EVERYTHING better.  (Even Daredevil.)

Well, looks like it only made it the one half-season and got cancelled.  It ended either on an unresolved cliffhanger or a Pythonesque/Seinfeldian downer, depending on your perspective.

My fiancee is very frustrated about that.  It's cute.  It's her first experience with Fox unceremoniously cancelling a show she liked.  (We all remember our first time, right?  Mine was The Critic.)

Course, the other thing is that Finder was backdoor-piloted out of Bones and I'm sure Hart Hanson is aware he can always pull a Chris Carter and just give it a backdoor finale.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 12, 2012, 09:11:19 AM »

So, Veep is sorta like Joe Biden: The Show.  With Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Joe Biden.  Also, Matt Walsh and Tony Hale are there.  It's pretty funny, but ... smart funny.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #503 on: May 14, 2012, 09:06:42 AM »

Bleeding Cool is talking about Wastelanders, a Whedon/Ellis collaboration that they intend to make into a Web serial.

Quote from: Joss
It’s riskier than “Dr. Horrible.” There is no soundtrack album. It’s not kid-friendly. It’s kind of a darker piece. But I’m in a position to take some risks and I feel very strongly about the material…

With “Wastelanders,” my intent is to put it on the internet. That’s the notion, to create an entertainment for people that works as a series and then comes together as a movie. The internet is interesting to me as a destination.
Quote from: Warren
WASTELANDERS is where Joss’ sense that too few people followed the example of DR HORRIBLE meets my obsession with the QUATERMASS serials, which were half-hour episodes. Short-form genre serials of the kind that tv just doesn’t make anymore. What we eventually came up with was very much a fusion of British and American styles, and very much a fusion of my style and Joss’ style. And full-on science fiction.

Hell yes.

I think I am even more excited about this than the Dr. Horrible sequel.  Because Dr. Horrible was exciting precisely because it was Different and Risky, and as much as I look forward to revisiting that world those values must necessarily diminish in a sequel.

Wastelanders sounds like it, too, is Different and Risky, and has an entirely different sensibility from Dr. Horrible.

Ellis is simply The Best at dark high-concept SF.  And maybe with a collaborator like Whedon he can actually create something with a satisfying ending.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #504 on: May 18, 2012, 09:58:33 AM »

So have we talked about the upcoming Cosmos series yet?

Ann Druyan (Carl Sagan's widow) is directly involved, Neil DeGrasse Tyson will host, and it's going to be on Fox because Seth MacFarlane has put his weight behind it.  Good for him.

Dorothy Pomerantz at Forbes has a MacFarlane-focused writeup (Jesus Christ, he was TWENTY-FIVE when Family Guy started?), and io9 has a video of the interview.

Some interesting bedfellows -- not only because the show's appearing on Fox, but

MacFarlane’s path to Cosmos started with the Science & Entertainment Exchange, an organization set up by Airplane director Jerry Zucker to help Hollywood work with scientists to ensure shows like CSI are factually correct.

Interesting, and good for Zucker.  He and MacFarlane certainly have a similar style of comedy, but they don't seem to have a hell of a lot in common in their political beliefs.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 18, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »

Man. Fuck.
So Blue Moon has a TV spot that I thought was kind of neat.

Brewmaster's Touch :30 TV Commercial

The first person who thinks that this is a great encapsulation of my lack of taste...
... I guess they're not the last?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 18, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »

Also, the community S3.e20 "Digital Estate Planning" is another episode carefully tailored to exploit my nostalgia.

Yeah, I voted that the 16 bit era was the mightiest.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 25, 2012, 06:37:51 AM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 25, 2012, 06:49:48 AM »

Is that who I think it is?  :whoops:

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #509 on: May 25, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »

GOD DAMN IT PAM

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #510 on: June 14, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »

On the one hand, "Munsters Remake" is not a phrase that fills me with excitement or longing.

On the other hand, Eddie Izzard as Grandpa, Portia de Rossi as Lily, and the guy from Sliders as Herman are all really excellent casting choices.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 14, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 05, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 05, 2012, 09:31:16 AM »

I watched some episodes of The New Girl while I was over at my cousin's house. It's basically The Big Bang Theory if someone did a find/replace of "awkward and nerdy" with "quirky and sophisticated" and then cut the laugh track.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 05, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »

That's just a word for word reshot of the original IT episode, complete with other nerd. And Joel McHale is the token "good looking guy" on shows. I don't understand why they thought he should play an ugly nerd.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 05, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »

Oh. And the reason I came to this thread is because apparently Neil Cicierega is doing music for the upcoming cartoon Gravity Falls.
I'm sold.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 05, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »

Haha, no shit? Hope the credits actually just say "Music by Lemon Demon".

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 05, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »

Neil Cicierega was asked to do theme music, but his pitches were REJECTED! Also the show is no longer "upcoming" as it already aired. Everything Lottel says is a lie.

Although Kristen Schaal is on the show so don't let Lottel's Lascivious Lies lure you away from the show.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 05, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »

So does anyone actually like Battle Star Galactica sincerely?

Because I'm pretty sure the only reason to watch was fat Apollo.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 05, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »

First two season are bangarang. Third season starts off okay, but has problems like how the only way to show character change is by physical changes (Apollo is fat, Adama has a mustache, Tigh is Cyclops), then scuttles their unique premise for more wandering aimlessly in space action. Which is okay, but eventually it settles into a kind of slightly grazes deeper themes and focus more on unraveling the Lost-levels of mythology. And some of the most interesting plots (Baltar on a Basestar!) go nowhere, and some things are explained but not really clarified or answered. Then it kind of all comes to a more-or-less satisfying finally that holds things together for at least the first two-thirds.

So yeah, I sincerely enjoyed it. The second-season destabilized enough to make it lose "Best On Television" status, and the remaining seasons just kind of keep it above water. That first season though, man, what a doozy.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30