Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: Random TV Thoughts  (Read 58106 times)

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Random TV Thoughts
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »

b-b-but

I thought I was turning you gay!

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2008, 11:36:09 PM »

Stealing credit from the ice stripper?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2008, 12:50:20 PM »

Smallville's back to form.  Not a great show by any stretch, but thoroughly enjoyable as schlock.  The first ep was pretty much the writers scrambling to resolve a cliffhanger ending with the sudden loss of the guy who had second billing in the credits.

Since then it's typical formula stuff -- meteor freak, pilot for a spinoff, alien, psycho who kidnaps and tortures people -- but fun to watch with a beer in hand.

Good points: Mercy's turning out to be a decent enough villain, and her sexual chemistry with Ollie is almost as entertaining as the absolutely atrocious dialogue they keep spouting.  And speaking of villains, the show's actually managed to make Doomsday, the most boring character ever, somewhat compelling (though he's only been in two episodes and may get boring once his story's actually explained).  And finally, it took them FIVE EPISODES before they resorted to Kryptonite (although Clark was depowered in the first one, so maybe that counts too).  And it's great when they just go deliberately schlocky -- I'm surprised it took them this long to get to the Maxima story as it's a perfect fit for Smallville.

Bad points: Chloe's now as bad a deus ex machina as Clark.  And all the usual stuff that's bad about Smallville.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2008, 11:41:27 PM »

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2008, 07:54:40 PM »

It's not enough of a deal to go in the Internet Superstore thread, but I figure The Real Ghostbusters: The Complete Collection has to be relevant to somebody's interests around here.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »

...Meanwhile, Big Guy and Rusty - The Boy Robot and Megas XLR remain locked away in underground, arcane chambers guarded by cel golems.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2008, 08:44:25 PM »

It's not enough of a deal to go in the Internet Superstore thread, but I figure The Real Ghostbusters: The Complete Collection has to be relevant to somebody's interests around here.

Wow.  That's... wow.

I mean that cartoon was actually pretty fun once in a while, but out of those 147 episodes I think you can maybe make one season of really worthwhile ones.  I'd pay for a DVD of just those.  Maybe.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2008, 11:04:31 PM »

relevant to somebody's interests

:wheeeee: Hands on!

:shrug: The surgery can wait.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2008, 11:16:25 PM »

...yeah, count me in the "waiting until it's released season-by-season (or at least until they're on Netflix)" camp.  The later eps can kiss my nads.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2008, 12:42:49 AM »

I caught snippets of the first couple eps of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and was nonplussed, but I'd recently heard some good buzz about it and eventually decided to give it another look.

I still haven't seen enough to vouch for the series as a whole, but the recent season finale, The Nightman Cometh, was fucking awesome.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2008, 02:44:10 PM »

TNT or Fox or one of those prehistoric cable TV stations were running a House marathon late Thanksgiving night. Good cast, interesting stories, and a setting I find oddly relaxing considering the fact that folks are being stabbed with needles and defibrillated'd half the time. Something about the way scenes are shot... lots of natural light and open areas. Must be how little it all resembles an actual hospital.

I caught snippets of the first couple eps of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and was nonplussed, but I'd recently heard some good buzz about it and eventually decided to give it another look.

It's Always Sunny has gotta have some of the worst acting I've ever seen, particularly Dennis, but the writing's usually solid enough to make it a fun watch. Yeah, it's not particularly clever - their problems are always self-created out of boredom, rather than resulting from their own neuroses or quirks - but it's weirdly probably the most realistic comedy I've seen. A good chunk of the humor comes from the fact that their schemes usually play out exactly like they would in real life, making the episode's telling title scroll a pretty funny joke in of itself.

Kaitlin Olson's pants are usually tight enough to forgive a pretty big portion of the show's problems.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2008, 03:01:26 PM »

I can't stand House. I tried to watch it a few times, and every episode I've seen boiled down to a "guess the disease" plot. I kind of could see myself liking the characters, but the framework they're built around is terribly unengaging to me.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »

The diagnosis usually goes over my head, but at least they have the good sense to visually show us, at a microscopic level, what's going wrong inside the patient. I'm less interested in the actual medicine than I am about the method the cast follows to figure it all out - I might not know what the kerjeebers neurocystercercosis is, but the way they reach that conclusion makes sense to me, I can see the techniques they're using, and it all seems realistic.

I see the episode's payoff as the cast making the right series of logical decisions in the right situations, to narrow down the diagnosis, rather than House's super doctor powers randomly guessing the right disease.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »

every episode I've seen boiled down to a "guess the disease" plot.

House is basically a detective show, only in a hospital.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2008, 03:31:31 PM »

www.politedissent.com reviews all house episodes and explains what medicine is accurate and what isn't

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2008, 03:35:39 PM »

I like police procedurals, though. It might be because the mystery parties are typically humans, rather than random, amoral ailments.

Or maybe it's just because I've spent way too much time in hospitals, and I secretly wish House was real and could figure out what's wrong with my sleep cycle.  :painful:

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2008, 08:45:20 PM »

you have lupus.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2008, 08:51:42 PM »

I always thought House was more like Star Trek. Every seemingly average planetdisease has a horrible secret. And they use unorthodox methods and complex technology which can be explained by simple analogies to solve them.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2008, 08:51:58 PM »

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2008, 08:05:48 PM »

I don't follow TV, so I know I'm the last person to note this, but...

They've got River Tam on this show playing a strange quiet girl who occasionally flips out and kills everyone.

That's gotta take some adjustment all right.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30