Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 281026 times)

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #2980 on: August 07, 2011, 12:37:17 PM »

Graphical upgrades aside, All-Stars is actually a pretty lousy port, particularly with regards to SMB1. The only real improvement is the save feature.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2981 on: August 07, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »

Well yes, if you omit the two things that are major improvements over the previous versions of the games, then it doesn't really have any improvements over the previous versions of the games.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: August 07, 2011, 09:28:19 PM »

I remember the physics being jankier than the originals, but I was probably already nostalgia-addled at the time.  In all honesty if you go back and play the originals the physics are, uh, pretty fucking janky.

<joke about Sonic 4>

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: August 07, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »

The physics in the All Stars version of SMB1 are different from the NES version; as I recall, they backported the SMB2j physics. The main difference is that you bounce higher off enemies.
...but is it art?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2984 on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:06 AM »

Hm, didn't remember that but I'll grant I probably spent less time on SMB1 than any of the rest in that collection.  Main difference I can remember is that the scrolling background made it harder to judge where to jump to get the 1up on 1-1.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: August 08, 2011, 01:45:45 PM »

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: August 08, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »

The funny part about all of this is that back in February, Bethesda posted a “quest” for fans of the game, that if they could birth a child on the release date of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (November 11, 2011) and name their child “Dovahkiin” (which translates to “Dragonborn” in Dragon Tongue), they’d win a special prize. They later revealed that the child would get every Bethesda game ever (past and future) for free, along with other unannounced “loot.”

Man, i'm just so glad that the well of reasons to look down on Elder Scrolls fans never runs dry.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: August 08, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »

Buge you are bad at linking fix it

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: August 08, 2011, 02:26:36 PM »

Buge you are bad at linking fix it

Okay, fine. Also, 3000th post in this thread wheeee

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: August 08, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »

I can't wait for the inevitable teamup between Dovakhiin and Turok.

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: August 08, 2011, 03:21:54 PM »

wonder if it'll look anything like the classic teamup between Klebold and Harris

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2991 on: August 08, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »

The funny part about all of this is that back in February, Bethesda posted a “quest” for fans of the game, that if they could birth a child on the release date of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (November 11, 2011) and name their child “Dovahkiin” (which translates to “Dragonborn” in Dragon Tongue), they’d win a special prize. They later revealed that the child would get every Bethesda game ever (past and future) for free, along with other unannounced “loot.”

Man, i'm just so glad that the well of reasons to look down on Elder Scrolls fans never runs dry.

Hey, it worked for Acclaim.

...Oh right.

...The point is, I want more Quantum and Woody comics, god dammit.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: August 08, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »

There's a genuine question here of whether the kid would be completely fucked up on the basis of being named an embarassing name after a word in a fake language in a video game, or on the basis of being named an embarassing name so his/her parents could themselves get free video games.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: August 08, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »

The name itself is probably the least of the child's problems.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: August 08, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »

The parents named the child "Atari".

fffffffffffffffff

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: August 08, 2011, 06:05:39 PM »

Quote from: the mother
Regarding "Atari," that name is not in honor of the longtime brand in video gaming. "The name Atari comes from the name Ataru which means 'to hit a target' and the word Atari is used when a prediction has come true or someone has won the lottery. Her first and middle name together mean 'To hit a target, from the lake'. The name is not everyone's cup of tea. We assume that by the time she is in high school, most of the children her age are not going to know what an Atari is, considering a lot of kids while we were in high school had no idea."

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: August 08, 2011, 06:13:02 PM »

That baby's gonna inherit the brownest little eyes.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: August 09, 2011, 06:04:27 AM »

Regarding "Atari," that name is not in honor of the longtime brand in video gaming. "The name Atari comes from the name Ataru which means 'to hit a target' and the word Atari is used when a prediction has come true or someone has won the lottery. Her first and middle name together mean 'To hit a target, from the lake'. The name is not everyone's cup of tea. We assume that by the time she is in high school, most of the children her age are not going to know what an Atari is, considering a lot of kids while we were in high school had no idea."

Yes, of course a woman who got engaged on stage at QuakeCon and went to E3 when she was due to give birth would name her child "Atari" not in tribute to the gaming console of her youth but as an elaborate pun in a foreign language.

Never mind that, can somebody help me figure out what this strange little animal with the feathers and webbed feet is?  The incessant quacking is driving me crazy.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: August 09, 2011, 08:10:03 AM »

Yes, of course a woman who got engaged on stage at QuakeCon and went to E3 when she was due to give birth would name her child "Atari" not in tribute to the gaming console of her youth but as an elaborate pun in a foreign language.

Never mind that, can somebody help me figure out what this strange little animal with the feathers and webbed feet is?  The incessant quacking is driving me crazy.

You know, this is one of those times where the referent events and topic of debate exist entirely outside of objective reality. If you want to say that P. Birdy stands for Peony Birdy instead of Paco Bird, I'd be inclined to give it to you without further comment.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: August 09, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »

IN ACTUAL GAMING NEWS

Dead Island Co-op

I guess it wasn't totally unexpected? I'm still carefully excited about this game.