Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Game News Dump  (Read 280912 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Game News Dump
« Reply #3180 on: November 03, 2011, 05:43:09 AM »

Arguing the popularity of something as a reason for its quality is not a good path to walk. For example, the Kim Kardashian is more of a creative genius than the Beatles.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: November 03, 2011, 06:05:03 AM »

Call of Duty must be the best game series ever.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: November 03, 2011, 06:12:04 AM »

Arguing the popularity of something as a reason for its quality is not a good path to walk. For example, the Kim Kardashian is more of a creative genius than the Beatles.
That comparison is dumb, and you are dumb for making it.

I'm not sure how to qualify how enjoyable a game is if not how many people enjoy it how much. The Elder Scrolls games create a universe and story with a massive following, and games that play well and provide interesting and fun worlds with open options for how to experience them.

Even Bal who is trying to say the games are bad admits they're fun when heavily modded, which uses resources bethesda has made available for users to do just that. I'm pretty sure the argument "god, call of duty is shit until people start doing knives only servers" has never come up ever. And yeah, the CoD games are fun, just in a totally different way.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: November 03, 2011, 06:24:24 AM »

Bethesda sucks at making great videogames. They are good at making backbones of games that you add cool shit to when you get tired of how it is at release.

While it is hard to commend someone for that, it is pretty damn nice to see a company who lets their fans fix their game for them. People have been trying to chip away at Far Cry 2 for years, but there still isn't a way to make the guns not disintegrate or the patrols to not respawn when you look the other way. Far Cry 2 could have been a good game, but the developers fucked up at some point like they usually do nowadays. Bethesda has decided to give their players the tools to add shit to their game, and that is one of the main reasons the PC version sells as much as it does. As for the console versions? A whole lot of people who didn't start playing games until Morrowind came out I guess.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: November 03, 2011, 06:33:39 AM »

Giving players a way to play around and make their own content for your game is a good way to give your game a really strong fanbase.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: November 03, 2011, 06:54:13 AM »

Even Bal who is trying to say the games are bad

I'm not "trying" to say anything. I am flat out stating that Bethesda makes bad games. Even my favorite game of theirs, Fallout 3, is only good in spite of their best efforts. The main quest is total garbage, and the engine is a horror show. Fortunately they had a setting and design aesthetic created by much more talented people that let them create a fun wasteland. So long as you just forget the story completely and play as Mr. 101 Wasteland whatever-you-want then you're golden. That said, the best thing Bethesda has done with that license is give it to Obsidian.

Elder Scrolls is worse because it's aesthetically and mechanically bankrupt in addition to being poorly written.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: November 03, 2011, 06:57:47 AM »

Bethesda makes bad games ... Fallout 3, is only good in spite of their best efforts.
:scanners:

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: November 03, 2011, 07:19:50 AM »

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: November 03, 2011, 07:22:16 AM »

Wow, I didn't know damning with false praise would make your fucking head explode.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: November 03, 2011, 09:21:08 AM »

Mythic super-roman empire is a viable and reasonably interesting setting for a sandbox.

I even enjoy the writing, in spite of it not being "good". I actually feel nostalgic for some of the storytelling cliches they employ. I think that's kind of the point.

And mechanically, it's fun to grow in power basically without limit.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: November 03, 2011, 09:46:11 AM »

I think a lot of TES's faults are strictly intentional.  The thing is built, specifically, to be modded - the developers have called it a "RPG operating system" at one point - so the product as presented is specifically made as bland as possible.  Cardboard people inhabiting a cookie-cutter world, engaging in pantomime combat and playing out a pulp story.  It encourages two important things: modders to build off of the very basic template presented, and players to suffer no illusions that the unmodded game is a "pure" state worth giving a shit about.  And it works, too.  I don't know of anybody who gives a rat's ass about dredging through the default main quest; even if they don't mod, players invariably end up fucking off and turning themselves into vampires or turning invisible and trolling people or filling houses with every single stolen object in the world.  So focusing on TES's technical faults is kind of missing the point.  It's not the sandbox, it's the nagging mother telling you to turn off th video games and go play in the sandbox, and it only does it because it loves you.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: November 03, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »

Mythic super-roman empire is a viable and reasonably interesting setting for a sandbox.

It would have been nice to see Cyrodiil as the designers originally indended: Roman Society with Oriental architecture in a sweltering jungle.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: November 03, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »

In my latest game, i've been collecting every single skull I find, and I want to put every single one into some guy's house, I have over 250 of them.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: November 03, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »

You are one sick motherfucker Stush. It is a pleasure to have you on my team.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: November 03, 2011, 09:33:51 PM »

Well, i'm mostly just bumming about and raiding dungeons, so I need stuff to keep me sane. Like filling a dude's house with skulls.
I also have a huge amount of jewels and gold, I'd love it if i could make a huge loot pile in my house, like in fable 3.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: November 03, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »

I would suggest that any person who claims that Elder Scrolls games are consistently excellent, but that Hellgate: London was not great, is guilty of a cognitive dissonance.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: November 03, 2011, 09:57:17 PM »

I would have liked to play that, but the servers went down, didn't they?

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: November 04, 2011, 02:52:06 AM »

There's a free korean hellgate now. It suffers from Diablo S yndrome though, so you need to get a full group and just push to beat it before you realize all you're doing is breaking your left mouse button.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: November 04, 2011, 08:33:03 AM »

The aforementioned Anno 2070 in motion. At least as gorgeous as Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery, but all future-y. I want it bad.

Debut Trailer HD - Anno 2070

The demo is now available:
http://www.gamershell.com/news_128212.html

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: November 04, 2011, 09:05:23 AM »