Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

IF YOU HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE, which would you want?

Keep the current map, peaceful mode
- 6 (17.6%)
Keep the current map, survival mode
- 5 (14.7%)
Generate a new map, peaceful mode
- 2 (5.9%)
Generate a new map, survival mode
- 21 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 72

Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 100743 times)

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:03 PM »

That is something you should send to the creator, legitimately.

I was meh about the game, but seeing that now I really, REALLY want to get it.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2010, 01:37:47 PM »

This whole thing is pretty fucking incredible, all in all. Where did you get all the stone for that, anyway? Just the pits at the bottom of the castle?

Man, I wish. Digging the pit is the last thing I decided to do, so now I have hundreds of extra stone blocks stored in the chest near the entrance, and that's not counting the silly amount of dirt and gravel I had to outright throw away because I didn't want to bother making storage for it. The castle and lighthouse were built from stone excavated from the tunnels underneath the hut. You know that gigantic hall you reach when you go down the ladder in there? That used to be solid stone with a few pockets of gravel.

At first I was just mining for ore, and that's why I made all the random descending tunnels. Then I decided to do something with all the rock I had, and eventually demand overcame supply and I had to start collecting stone from closer to the surface for efficiency's sake. Besides, I have lots of iron, gold and redstone stored in the hut already (plus some diamond), and it'll be a long time before I need any more.

The next step is decoration, I think. I kind of want to put a layer of dirt on the towers, plant some trees up there and call it a day, but that's plan B; mostly I want to figure out some architecture instead and see if I can make the tops look cool. I tried crenellation but I couldn't get it to look right.

Zed? You're insane. It's the brilliant kind of madness, but madness nevertheless.

How long did this take?

And that bridge! Did you lay down all the ice and everything before you excavated out everything under it, or did you build some kind of scaffolding?

I never attempted to count the time, and I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't want to. :nyoro~n: God bless the podcast, is what I gotta say.

As for the bridge, it's a little of both. I originally put a thin, crappy little bridge on top of the ice just so I could get to the back of the fort without going all the way around, but as I got deeper I eventually decided it should be fancier. Thing is, you don't really need a scaffolding to build horizontally across empty space. It's possible to inch forward on a cliff so that the center of your player entity is over the edge, then look back to the side of the block you're partially standing on, and attach a new block there. That makes it really easy to fall off though. If you've seen my retardo sunblock ziggurat on Smiler's server, that entire construction is made possible by that technique.

That is something you should send to the creator, legitimately.

Hmm, maybe once it's less obviously a work in progress... I'm not even done putting windows on the inner walls!

My only regret is that I didn't build it on an MP server. Unfortunately, when I started, the game wasn't exactly in a state where this was feasible.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »

You could transfer it to an MP map, I think. I think there's ways to do that.

I'm hosting an MP server, but it's mostly for real life friends at the moment. I've got a suitable mansion that I'm working up skywards and down into the giant mountain I built it on. My friend is building his evil lair under my pool.

I've spent basically all of today playing Minecraft. Fuck, you just lose the hours in this game.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2010, 11:52:24 PM »

Dwarf Fortress map to Minecraft converter.

I'm just in awe. Wish I still had some of my fortresses around actually.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »

NEW MINECRAFT IP: Joxam.no-ip.org:25565

Come on someone build stuff. :(

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2010, 11:31:28 AM »

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2010, 03:38:30 PM »

Like he was gonna say no to Gabe. :whoops:

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »

It's not like it wasn't on the agenda with the furnaces left half-fixed last week.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2010, 08:56:31 AM »

If you want to make your own creations look like shit, just check this out.

I can only imagine how long it must have taken to build all that.  I'd love to get that save so I could explore it myself.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2010, 09:17:04 AM »

Sweet jesus

Detonator

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »

Oh yeah, the new update is "out", that is, it would be if the servers weren't overloaded with 100,000 people trying to download the update.

The only confirmed features are fixed furnaces and "sneaking", which makes you move slower and won't let you fall off ledges or trample crops.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Detonator

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2010, 02:19:56 PM »

Okay, there's been a temporary fix for server problems.

Incidentally, this means free Minecraft this weekend.  I'm not sure if this includes multiplayer survival, but you should probably check it out anyway.

Detonator

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »

tooling around on joxam's server now if anyone wants to join

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2010, 04:28:34 PM »

Multiplayer seems fairly unfun. :|

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »

You're fairly unfun. :|

Also if you aren't going to play anymore could you give us your stuff. :nyoro~n:

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »

No way! who knows when better functionality will be patched in! But right now the whole experience seems far too.... dry for me. The concept is pretty great but theres not a lot going on besides building houses to seem awesome or something.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »

I dug a hole to the bottom of the world and jumped off to see what happened.

Because of the server's infinite health mod, I can't die. It remembers my position, so I can't disconnect.

I DON'T WANT TO BE STUCK FALLING FOREVER
...but is it art?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »

I WANRED YUOU BOUT STAIRS BRO

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2010, 12:48:26 AM »

And then I fell in a second time on accident. Carrying a bunch of shit that I think we're going to want, using a nick that I know I'm going to want to use.

Fortunately, the third time I was able to seal up the hole, and the character is still alive, so that if a recovery is possible we'll be able to keep those fifty-three units of redstone. Smiler or any other operator, when you get this message and are willing to help sort things out, please yell at me to sign on.
...but is it art?

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2010, 01:19:07 AM »

There's a lot of cool skins here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 72