Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Grey Fortress Jamboree  (Read 7652 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
The Grey Fortress Jamboree
« on: July 01, 2009, 03:51:56 PM »

Attention miserable Canuckistanis! Your hour is at hand! Now is the time to repel the infidel. For this great and noble cause, you are called to the 1st ever:

PYOKON NORTH!!

Recap of discussion so far:

Plans are for folks to converge on Toronto for a weekend-plus-one in August. Probably not in the first week. Fan Expo (the major annual comic con in Toronto) was raised as an attraction (it takes place on the last weekend of August from the 28th to the 30th, but most folks would prefer to save their money and stick to a gathering with less financial temptation.

Potential attendees, their points of origin, and likelihood of attending:

- Me (Toronto) - NO PROBLEM (also, my wife Starr)
- Buge (St. Catharines) - GOOD TO GO
- SCD (Kingston) - READY AYE READY
- Geothermal (Cambridge) - WHAT ME WORRY?
- Fort (also St. Catharines... I think?) - possibly HEROIC CONFIRMATION
- Koipond (Toronto) - almost certainly (it will be better for Koipond the earlier we finalize plans).
- Fredward (Montreal) - depends on finances
- ZedPower (dark wilds of Lower Canada) - probably not, but it's not totally ruled out

Logistics:

I can put up two people here in the apartment. If it's mostly a one day thing, Geo can probably just drive back and forth (though that's not really a great solution and kind of limits his participation, I'd imagine), if it just winds up being SCD, Buge, Geo, Koipond and I. I know Koipond will NOT be able to host anyone due to, ah, family concerns.

Important note: I OWN TWO CATS. Hope nobody's allergic.

So, if it begins to look like many folks will attend, we may want to look at a large shared hotel room for the vi sting folks. One big enough for us to hang out in. Basically, if more people need to crash here than I can hold, well, you should at least be able to divide up a hotel room without too much cost. On the other hand, if it's a small number of folks, I can put you up.

I would therefore suggest that we try to figure out who is attending and when we want to do this. The sooner we can figure that out, the sooner we can take the next step.

Entertainments:

I have some solid and fun boardgames, yes. But Koipond OWNS A GAME COMPANY (however small), so we will have no shortage of nerdly pursuits. As far as things to do around town, we can work that out depending on how long folks are planning to stay. I do not have a Wii or any other group-friendly console, though I do have a good-sized TV at least. If you folks are going to be here longer than a day, then by god I will INSIST we get outside at least one of those days. I also have movies and will be greatly upset if I don't con at least a few of you into watching Black Belt Jones.

Food:

I'm sure we can find something (LOL). Also, I have a barbecue which can easily be pressed into service for a mass-gathering if we want to do that. My wife is a vegetarian, so those who are also so inclined should not worry about starving.

So, if anyone else thinks they might like to come, let us know. Let's try to get this scheduled so that folks can book time off work etc. I think SCD needs to find out when he free weekends are and Buge, Geo and I are all okay for most of August so long as we give work enough notice. Koipond will be able to let us know as soon as we have a firm date.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Pyokon North
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »

I vote for a new name as these are no longer the Pyoko boards and as such we don't label ourselves with a name that was originally created by a bipolar, weeaboo, yaoi obsessed, transgendered nerd who resembled a Tim & Eric character minus any of the irony.

How about...

The Grey Fortress Jamboree!
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 04:11:52 PM »

My wife wanted to add one other relevant item: We do not have a car or parking. However, I think only Geo would drive here, and there's places to park nearby, though it might be a couple of blocks away (not that far, five-minute walk) so that's probably a non-issue.

No one should need to 'play taxi' as it were, because Toronto is mercifully blessed with a transit system which actually goes somewhere and does something (most of the time). TTC fares are $2.75 and will take you pretty much anywhere that's relevant for the duration of the weekend.

Fortinbras

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »

Fort really is in St. Catharines and will risk maladies and crippling injury to attend if that's what it takes.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »

I vote for a new name as these are no longer the Pyoko boards and as such we don't label ourselves with a name that was originally created by a bipolar, weeaboo, yaoi obsessed, transgendered nerd who resembled a Tim & Eric character minus any of the irony.

How about...

The Grey Fortress Bonanza!

I can get behind the general sentiment behind this notion, though I don't get the specific 'grey fortress' thing at all.

EDIT: Wait ... your old SMW map?

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
WCN(N)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:17:02 PM »

Pyokon North?  More like the Worst Convention Ever (N), or WCE(N) for short. 

Chicks dig the TLAs

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Grey Fortress Jamboree
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:18:16 PM »

Yeah, the Grey Fortress was the marker for Southern Ontario pretty much and it's Super Mario Brothers 3, btw.

I like "Kaneda Clusterfuck" too.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »

Perhaps even "Kaneda Klusterfuck"?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 08:36:58 PM »

Kaneda Worst Ever Convention, or KWEC?

No one should need to 'play taxi' as it were, because Toronto is mercifully blessed with a transit system which actually goes somewhere and does something (most of the time). TTC fares are $2.75 and will take you pretty much anywhere that's relevant for the duration of the weekend.

I'd also like to add that all-day passes are $10. Good for explorin'. And cats? I love 'em!

Here's a list of gamey things I can bring:
Magic cards
UFS cards
Arkham Horror
GG: The Works
Apples to Apples
Milles Bornes
Pictionary

I volunteer to crash on Mongrel's couch.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 10:43:16 PM »

aw shit yes milles bornes

So yeah, my attendance depends on the date set (before 12th is no go, before 20th is possible, but unlikely, and end of month is ideal), and my financial situation vis a vis the cost of transportation and lodging. But it sounds like good times!
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 08:53:09 AM »

Come on guys. Let's get a date set. If everybody is going to go all waffle-licious on me, then I'm going to start things rolling.

The best weekends for me are 18th-19th and 25th-26th. If we're going to go three-day-weekend for this, Fridays are better for me, since we don't ship on Fridays, so the 17th-19th or the 24th-26th.

If it comes down to it, I can do the 11th-12th, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get that Friday the 10th off... I suppose I could try for that Monday if that was the only weekend we could make it work.

POST YOUR AVAILABILITY. SCD GET YOUR CO TO TAKE YOU ON GIVE YOU A DATE

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 11:32:15 AM »

You're reading the July part of your calendar, Mongo. I think you mean the 22nd-23rd or 29th-30th.

Both are good for me. Although the 22nd seems more appealing for reasons I am unable to articulate... Oh wait

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »

DERP DERP DERP :derp:

Yeah, that should read as:

The best weekends for me are 22nd-23rd and 29th-30th. If we're going to go three-day-weekend for this, Fridays are better for me, since we don't ship on Fridays, so the 21st-23rd or the 28th-30th.

If it comes down to it, I can do the 15th-16th, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get that Friday the 14th off... I suppose I could try for that Monday if that was the only weekend we could make it work.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »

Throwing down leave passes as we speak.

weekend of the 22nd will be when i come

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 02:12:43 PM »

Throw another vote in for weekend of 22nd, as I'll probably be getting smashed the next weekend.
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »

Okay, the 22nd was my favourite too. So, we have Buge, myself, SCD, and Fred for the 22nd. Koipond is also good for those dates (he has cons to go to on the two weekends either side of that one!). Tentatively, I'd say that's our weekend, pending the confirmation of Geo/Fort.

Also: How many of you think you might come on Friday the 21st? If so, when (i.e. maybe come Friday either during the middle of the day or late, leave sunday afternoon/evening)?

If most of you folks can get here by Friday night, we can try and plan something cool for the whole day Saturday. I was thinking our itinerary might look something like this:

• Friday - People trickle in throughout the afternoon/evening. This would be a good time for nerdly pursuits, with games, movies and the like. We can meet at my apartment. BBQ.
  • Saturday - We can have a 'big day' with some actual defined plan where we go somewhere and possiby even do something (CRAZY TALK). This can be as simple as "hang out on the beach", zoo/museum/whatever, or perhaps more elaborate, depending on what everyone feels like and how much people want to spend.
  • Sunday - Another lazy day, with more nerd stuff. Koipond may not have room in his place for someone to sleep over, but he's part of a co-op and can probably rent a neat good-sized meeting room for at least one day this weekend. Sunday would be a good day for this. Move over to the meeting room by mid-morning, game and hang out. People can then leave whenever they need to to get home. A reverse of Friday, basically.

Trying to keep it low pressure, so we can just hang out and have fun. Though it would be neat to have one group activity.

The other thing to figure out is if any of you folks want to club together to get a room. If so, I'll try and do a little quick research for some places near my apt in the next couple of days. We need SOME kind of plan, because I can't put up five people here.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »

ack

hotel research requested.

Will try to come on friday, but first i have to figure out who on the school lives in hamilton so i can hitch a ride - also possible that i could grab my car from ott, but that is not desired - bottom line - i'll be coming on friday late at worst.

While I'm pretty much down with hitting a beach and making sand sculptures of our favorite references, I am open to seeing To culture (it's not an oxymoron, is it?) and other suggestions. 

Will try leaving on sunday mid day.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »

Yeah, I mean I want to keep this simple and on the cheaper side because the more expensive and complicated this gets, the less folks are going to want in, but there are one or two things we're going to have to make sure are properly planned and it is going to cost us all at least a little money, certainly.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 06:49:59 PM »

Well, apart from hitting the beach and searching for used condoms and dirty needles, what else can we do that's relatively cheap? I'm open to a field trip. We may even get group rates if we have enough people.

Anyway. I do have friends and family living in Toronto (they may even want to come along), so I could probably stay at one or more places over the weekend if there's no room in the uh, principal gathering place.

koipond

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 07:24:57 PM »

I don't some checking around for the hotels in my area.  It's downtownish and close to Mongrel so we're all good there.  I cannot attest to the quality and security of all of these places, but they are here.  Some of them I also didn't wait to get the information because I started at 11:00 and they weren't able to pick up their damned phones.

http://www.ramadaplazatoronto.com/sql/content.asp?MainCataID=2  
300 Jarvis Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2C5
159$ - 149$ (4 Adults) 144 - 134 (3 Adults)
PH - (416) 977-4823

http://www.comfortsuitestoronto.com/
200 Dundas St East, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5A 4R6
PH -  (416) 362-7700

http://www.grandhoteltoronto.com/  
255 Jarvis Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2C1
169 (One King and a pull out) 189 (two Queen sized beds) per night
PH -  (416) 863-9000

http://www.downtownerinntoronto.com/  
177 Pembrooke Street, Toronto, ON M5A 2N9
60 bucks for a Double Room
PH -  (416) 925-8456

http://www.bestwesternontario.com/hotels/best-western-primrose-hotel/  
111 Carlton Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5B 2G3, CA
PH -  (416) 977-8000

http://www.choicehotels.ca/hotels/hotel?hotel=CN534&promo=gglocal  
592 Sherbourne Street, Toronto, Ontario, M4X 1L4
PH - (416) 921-3142

http://www.choicehotels.ca/hotels/hotel?hotel=CN534&promo=gglocal
179.99+taxes per night
15 Charles St. E., Toronto, Ontario, M4Y 1S1
PH - (416) 924-1222

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/yyzls  
111 LOMBARD STREET, Toronto, Ontario, M5C 2T9
2 Double Beds - 149.99+tax a night
(Free Breakfast and High Speed Internet)
PH - (416) 367-5555
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5