Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Happy Current Holiday!  (Read 21763 times)

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Current Holiday!
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2011, 07:38:11 AM »

Thanks, Thad.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2011, 08:08:04 AM »

You earned it.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Kara99

• Queen of Darkness
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2011, 08:54:34 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving!  May your day be full of turkey and pumpkin pie, and your night be full of indigestion!
-The girl formerly known as AlexChiu (the #finalfight regular, not the madman).

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2011, 07:42:54 PM »

I like you guys better than my family, and I'm glad you're here while I hide on the internet so I don't have to talk with them.

So yeah, I'm thankful for the internet, and for #finalfight, and for the Brontoforumus. Here's to another year of an ossifying community bound together by video games and dick jokes. May we stumble on for another year.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2011, 05:39:42 PM »

Spent all of Black Friday shopping. Didn't buy anything, just went for the fun of it. Was dancing and singing the Muppet Show theme the whole night. Apparently a few of the shoppers "found my cheer annoying."

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »

Happy Winter Solstice!

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2011, 06:47:57 PM »

You guys better have the raddest Christmas in history, or else...!

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »

HAPPY CHRISTMAS, BITCHES!

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2011, 08:24:29 PM »

I am probably going to be cutting wood?

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2011, 10:50:07 PM »

Well that's one tradition ruined

God damnit Data just open the shit you are holding EVERYONE UP HERE JESUS CHRIST

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2011, 03:58:28 AM »

Merry Christmas to all you crazy bastards

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2011, 05:23:00 AM »

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2011, 05:31:02 AM »

When I was young, Christmas was the best day of the year. For one day my family would put aside its shit and pretend to be a normal family. Even my father would relax and let us do what we wanted. We could get away with anything on Christmas. My dad would just smile and say "It's Christmas, today is special," and let us off the hook for whatever crime we had committed. My mother's insanity would be monitored by my dad, and whenever she got too overbearing, he'd gently remind her that kids only get to be kids on Christmas a few times in their life.

It was a strange transformation from the norm. As we got older, the rules of Christmas started to break, until finally one morning my brother, aged 14, failed to open the wrapping paper correctly according to my mother's control freak wishes. He tried, of course, as hard as he could, because he could see my father's bright eyes as well as I could, a clear warning sign that he had been up all night drinking and that he now was in the incredibly dangerous state that alcoholics reach. He now waited, like a coiled snake, for any chance or excuse to strike. But perhaps inevitably my brother's fingers slipped and he accidentally tore a strip of paper from a small gift.

"Bring that to me," commanded my father in a carefully controlled voice.

My brother glanced at me and our mom, then walked it over to him.

"I thought I heard your mother tell you not to rip any of the paper," said my father.

I remember thinking, as my brother might have also been, that we were trapped in a play. A script. A heavy sense of inevitable doom hung over us. We could see it, smell, hear it pressing in our ears, but despite knowing exactly what was to come were powerless to escape it.

Don't say anything, I thought. You'll only make it worse.

"Dad --"

The backhand came so fast. Again, looking back, my father seems like a viper striking.

My brother, to his credit, did not fall and begin crying like I would have and had done many times before. He simply gathered himself, and wiped the small trickle of blood from his nose away. My mother watched impassively. The memory sharp within me now, as I write this, I suddenly realize that I hate her more than anything else.

"But dad, today is Christmas," my brother says softly, a quiet, last desperate plea.

"You're not kids anymore," my father replied. "It's time to grow up."

So it was that my last Christmas I loved was that year when I was 12. From then on, Christmas became just another day to me. I severed it from myself so that it could not hurt me again. My father struck deep at me, and though the majority of his physical abuse over the years was directed at my older brother, his fists could hurt even when they weren't hitting you.

All throughout my teenage years and early twenties I did not care about Christmas. When I was young I'd dutifully wake up when my father ordered it and joylessly hand out and open the gifts, pretending to be happy and excited so that my father would not be angered. Later when I moved out I'd sleep in till 10 or 11, simply not caring. I spent many Christmases alone, but that fact did not bother me in the slightest. My father died, drank himself to death, and still I did not care.

Then a strange thing began to happen, very recently. I started looking forward to Christmas again. Not because of the gifts, but because of the goodwill. I started to mean it when I told my friends "Merry Christmas" or "Have a good Christmas". I wanted them to be happy. I wanted them to have a day of real joy, of real happiness, in their lives.

Why am I telling you all this? you may ask. You didn't ask for this window into my personal life history. I fully realize I am not the only person who had an abusive parent(s), much less a difficult childhood. I'm not asking for your sympathy. Believe me, I don't need it. I am only telling you this to give you some sort of understanding of the depth of what I mean when I tell you all that I wish you a Merry Christmas. Those words are empty, repeated endlessly so many times that even a Christmas fanatic derives no meaning from them. They are just a thing that is said at this time of year, like "Have a good day" when you leave the drive through window. They are decorative words.

But perhaps now that you see the real emotion behind them when I say them, to you, you might take more notice to them than when a retail clerk at JC Penny says them to you. I hope each and every one of you has a day filled with peace. Today, like the days when I was young, may you find respite in this holiday. This community is an important part of my life, and you all make up the community. I care about you. I'm old enough now to realize that friends, even LOL INTERNET friends, are far more valuable than anyone can imagine.

So, Merry Christmas.

Assholes.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2011, 06:06:01 AM »

Friday, I don't know what relations are like with your brother, but my brother and I were each other's only allies* through an entirely-different-but-all-too-similar childhood.

If the same holds true for you, I hope you get to see and hug your brother this Christmas.

*(of course since we were two brothers, we also beat the crap out of each other constantly, but you know, we usually forgot about that an hours later)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2011, 06:21:15 AM »

I had to separate this bit off, because articulating it without coming off like an asshole is difficult [joke about this being all my posts].

I have come to see Christmas as "just another day" but from a different sort of angle. I have come to hate (or well, dislike anyway... hate might be a bit strong) the idea of there being "special days" when people should be encouraged to treat each other nicely. I think that sort of goodwill should be applied all year long.

That doesn't mean I go around griping about it, or trying to grinch up other people's holidays. This post is not meant as a some kind of reproach on how you should or shouldn't celebrate a holiday. I think it's a good idea in practice to focus on "special days", because having them is a way to break through the complacency of everyday living.

However you choose to celebrate it, I hope you you find some peace and happiness. And if for any reason you cannot, I hope a way opens up that you might look forward to such things in the future.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2011, 06:40:44 AM »

I will now never be able to picture Friday as anything other than a blonde Phoebe Cates from Gremlins.

.. which doesn't actually belittle me saying MERRY CHRISTMAS YOU BASTARDS.

probably.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2011, 06:42:59 AM »

Sappy mode here. It can be nice to have context for your life on occasion, especially at a time like this. Your story means a lot to me Friday. Merry Christmas Friday, Merry Christmas Mongrel. Merry Christmas everyone else too.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2011, 07:38:33 AM »

Hope everyone us enjoying Isaac Newton's birthday!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13