Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 [173]

Author Topic: Shit Days  (Read 214919 times)

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
Re: Shit Days
« Reply #3440 on: January 08, 2014, 05:57:34 AM »

It's not even my computer that's doing it I think. Pretty sure it's all the money counting at work.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »

I've mentioned before in this thread and in general about my dad's back problems. Occasionally he'll get hit with I guess a pain spasm and I'll need to carry or hustle him towards bed, get water, etc, generally make sure he's comfortable until it goes away.

Tuesday was the worst I'd ever seen. It struck when he was in the kitchen, so I hustle down, get him to his office chair, get him water, a pillow, and then for the next two hours he's screaming and howling in pain into the pillow in a horrific noise that's going to be in my head for weeks.

Whenever he could form words it was just "Why, God, Why" over and over before it was back to screaming. And I couldn't drown it out, my mother wanted to play the crying martyr and mope about instead of help, so I had to keep my headphones off and door open in case he got coherent enough to speak, or worse. During the entire screaming fit I was deathly afraid that I'd hear a gunshot and then it'd stop.

Just, fuck. It's still in my head.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #3442 on: January 09, 2014, 12:05:27 AM »

That kind of shit sucks. My mom has leg cramps wherein she just sits in her bed crying and saying stuff like, "Make it stop" and I know she's not talking to anyone in particular, and I know she knows there is nothing I can do about it but I feel a crushing sense of failure for not being able to do anything that will make her feel better. Never mind the fact that I'm pretty sure seeing your parent cry from pain is like the worst thing. If you ever need to talk about that stuff I'm sure any one of us would at least be able to listen.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: January 09, 2014, 05:24:58 AM »

My dad had the same thing in his legs, but it wasn't half so bad. We did have to come and jump on his calves (my brother and I were small) sometimes though (not THAT hard). I've had the same thing in my own legs very rarely, but only briefly. I'm sure that if it went on for hours I'd be howling too, but thankfully that's never even come close to happening.

Luckily it stopped for my dad when he started running regularly (my dad is probably healthier than I am) and as long as I bike or walk regularly I don't seem to have trouble. Not saying that would work for either of your folks though; their problems seem much more severe.

It's not even my computer that's doing it I think. Pretty sure it's all the money counting at work.

Well, it's not much of a consolation, but how many people can say "I got carpal tunnel from counting too much money."? :richiam:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: January 09, 2014, 07:02:54 AM »

"I got carpal tunnel from counting too much of other people's money."

:cratchett:

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: January 10, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »

Lyrai, can't he get painkillers that would help with that? Or is it just so bad that nothing would help?

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: January 10, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »

He's already on very strong painkillers. The pain is just so bad, they do little to nothing sometimes.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: January 10, 2014, 03:04:03 PM »

Sounds like a tolerance issue?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: January 10, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »

Anything back-related needs some pretty damn strong narcotics to even put a dent in, unfortunately. And anythingth at strong is going to be pretty nauseating, not to mention tolerance/addiction. My deepest sympathies; I've been throughthe ffixable stuff and it was almost too much.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: January 10, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »

Yeah, I mean in theory there are painkillers for just about any level of pain. The problem is any sort of long term use of that is suuuper-problematic for about a half-dozen reasons. 

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3450 on: January 14, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »

This is sort of minor for me, but it'll be a fucking heartbreaker elsewhere.

So months back, on the euro wargaming forum I go to, I put up a cartoon character image and was basically "Hey does anybody make a mini like this?" That's not a super-uncommon thing to do at all. I liked the character design and it actually looked similar to some of the existing game figures, so I figured, hey maybe there's a licensed version or a knockoff or something.

For some reason, one of the younger guys on the forum, a German kid, got all excited. He really liked the character image and said he wanted to practice sculpting and that not only would he sculpt one, he would send me a copy when he was done. Well, I was impressed. Custom mini's something people charge a lot of money for! I didn't think much of it though... I figured eventually he'd lose interest or get frustrated with things not working, or whatever as usually happens.

But months later, the same kid messages me, showing me a finished sculpture. Now, it looked a little crude, but it was really well done for a guy just starting out. But... he's not really going to send me one, is he? Casting stuff is it's own horror show.

And indeed, the kid had all kinds of trouble casting up the mini - most of his attempts were a write off. His amateur efforts also had him using a polyester resin which was quite fragile. But finally, after many tries, he had some good copies. How many, I don't know. It's certainly possible that he only managed two good ones.

Well, now I was amazed and really flattered. This kid, who I had never talked to previously, had spent months labouring to produce a custom made mini that I asked for. He had followed through at every step of way, apologizing for delays, and never asked for even a cent for postage. I swore to myself I was gonna paint that fucker up and do the best damn job possible and put up the pics in all the places I always do, because I suspected if there was anything that kid wanted to see, it would be that. Somebody really valuing all the hard, careful work he'd poured into this thing.

Well, I got the mini today. And this is a post in Shit Days, so this ain't no happy ending.

It was perhaps not packed as securely as it might have been. He was very careful and had hand-shaped a very nice little styrofoam form to carry the mini. Only it wasn't very strong. Somewhere in the mail, the head had been obliterated. Like, dust chips.

I... don't even know what to do here. Do I tell him? I mean that's a case of "break his heart now or later" but maybe he's gonna try and send me another! He might send me his own copy and I don't want him to do that if that's all he has left! Do I try to swap heads (that'd be pretty noticeable!)?

Fuck! 

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: January 14, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »

Tell him.  He seems to be embracing and learning from his mistakes; this is one more mistake for him to learn from.  Chances are he'll apologize, make a new one, send it the right way, and feel that much more triumphant when he gets it right.

You'd better damn well have your paint ready.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: January 14, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »

Yeah I was leaning that way anyway. I mean, it's gonna come out sooner or later since he'll eventually want to know what I've done.

One thing I was thinking of is asking if he had a miscast figure where the body was bad but the head was okay.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #3453 on: January 19, 2014, 12:24:42 AM »

So I was making garlic toast and the pan started slipping out of my hand and I grabbed it with the hand that had no oven mitt on reflexively and now I have burns on three of my fingers, my thumb and my palm... all because I refused to drop my toast :(. Also all the burns are on my main hand. shit is rough. Only consolation is that I just found the perfect avatar.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 [173]