Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NetHack  (Read 6249 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
NetHack
« on: July 26, 2009, 08:45:57 PM »

a

Go Team Ant!

NetHack!

Begins the 1st

Ends the 30th by 11:59 PM

Use the latest! That's 3.4.3 as of 7/31!

Newbie Bracket

You are bad at NetHack and will admit it. Download NetHack. Learn to play it over the month. Surprise us with what you can do. Post your best score. Bonus Points for hilarious stories. Judges will determine what is hilarious, commoner.

Pro Bracket

You are Shinra or you can beat the game. You know how to deal with the named monsters. You don't get killed by giant ant packs anymore. You know how to engrave Elbereth. You play the Tourist Class for reals.

The biggest score helps and pros know how to pad this already. But maybe you can impress us with a vegetarian ascension?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: NetHack
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 11:59:04 AM »

Hello, I am a total NetHack newbie. Sometimes I can reach the gnome mine. I have already forgotten how, though. I will play the game with a wiki open in another tab at all times.

Let's Play NetHack!

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »

Is pudding farming okay?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 12:11:49 PM »

I don't care, but congratulations on being flagged for the Pro Bracket.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:14:32 PM »

Is pudding farming okay?

Anyone who applies arbitrary rules to what you can and cannot do in nethack unless challenging oneself is a Huge Faggot. Anything goes, including boulder farming death for max score ascensions.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »

Kind of hoping you have the time for this, Shinra, since you appear to have competition.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 07:20:14 AM »

I keep a spare rusted -7 knife named 'Puddingbane' on my mantle for just such an occasion, Doom. I would be glad to show all comers how Nethack is actually played.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »

Well, i usually get YASD'ed or BORED OUT OF MY FUCKING MIND IN GEHENNOM

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »

my start scumming (as a freelancer unless anyone wants me) starts tonight.

Dogstar

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 01:11:06 AM »

Is there anything against me using Vulture's Eye (provided I can get it to finish downloading) or should I stick with the basic tileset? (which is killing me as much as anything else...)

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 01:44:39 AM »

as long as it doesn't make any changes to  gameplay its fine.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:42:16 AM »

I want to note that graphical tilesets are for super chumps, but if you guys need a crutch that's cool :rolleyes:

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 01:40:03 PM »

Which of the emoticons here makes the best replacement for a male human knight @? is the obvious choice, but I'm afriad it's too obvious.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »

:itsmagic:

Is he a... BLACK KNIGHT, by any chance?

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »

In the last week I have learned to play and built ascension kits for Rogue, Tourist, Caveman, and Archaeologist. I regret to state that all of them are rotting on floors without bones generation. The caveman was the most heartbreaking - complete ascension kit and resistance to everything but disintegration, and I died by choking on a unicorn corpse.

To those of you who may be interested in this competition and have not seriously played nethack in the past, Google and the wiki are your friends. I would recommend not playing with tiles on, I find them to often be a distraction. Play carefully, don't hold buttons down and never take unnecessary risks. You can check if something is blessed or cursed by dropping it on an altar - equipping something without knowing what it does first is a recipe for disaster. You can get away with it on the first five floors but after that you're gambling with your time. And learn how to use #name - items of the same type that are different when identified can be differentiated with naming an item - for example, there are three items that appear as bags - bags of holding, sacks, and bags of tricks, and only two items that appear as lamps - magic lamps (when blessed, grant a wish) and oil lamps. Using #name can help you identify items when you don't have a scroll on hand, simply through process of elimination. Knowing what lamps are magic in minetown helped me get my first ascension. Lastly, Barbarian or Valkyrie. They have their advantages and disadvantages, but they are far and away the two easiest ascensions. They are incredibly forgiving and have a lot of advantages that other classes don't - in starting equipment, ascension gifts, intrinsics, and in the case of the valkyrie, a really amazing quest artifact. Don't shoot yourself in the foot and start with a hard class - and some of those, by the way, are deceptive. Knights are terrible. Don't play them unless you want a challenge.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 11:51:32 PM »

I want to note that graphical tilesets are for super chumps, but if you guys need a crutch that's cool :rolleyes:

I would recommend not playing with tiles on, I find them to often be a distraction.

shinra.jpg
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:46 AM »

Yes, and? In one post I was being facetious, and the other post I was providing serious advice. I don't see why this is a distinction that actually needs to be pointed out.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 08:01:34 AM »

I dunno if I can learn two rogue-likes in a month but I'm noticing a trend here in the Worstlympics and I am happy to give Shinra an excuse to play a game he loves so I will honor his insurmountable courage with my own feeble journey.

this was the very first time I've ever let the game auto-gen for me

I left auto-pick-up on and managed to fall down three stairways before a pair of giant rats put me out.

But I am now currently and technically the only possibly person who can win the Silver. Swish.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »

i wonder

i wonder if anyone but me would be interested in a Dungeon Crawl competition

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »

i wonder

i wonder if anyone but me would be interested in a Dungeon Crawl competition

I would! But it's a little late.

Come on guys, the month's almost over. It does not take a lot of effort to do your best at this game.
Pages: [1] 2 3