Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100319 times)

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in the Theater
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2009, 09:55:11 AM »

I was thinking it should be an hour longer.

Typically, Tarantino brought out a bunch of really interesting characters and then murdered the lot of them.

Perhaps, but the movie is meant to be his Dirty Dozen and well, pretty much everyone dies in that too.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2009, 10:04:09 AM »

9 was pretty crappy. It looked really nice but frankly that's basically a given for computer animated shit these days. The monster things were pretty bad ass but the clichéd generic characters and nonsensical plot made it fall apart for me.

Fortinbras

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2009, 10:24:45 AM »

Oh no, not being down on it for the ending at all.  I loved the end, how could you not [spoiler]love machinegunned Hitler[/spoiler]?

I read that the thing has had like a million rewrites and was once three movies long.  I would love to have 4+ hours of Basterds.  The second chapter in particular deserved to have more to it.

Still loved it tons.  Like, literally my only criticism is that I want more of it, which is not so bad as criticisms go.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2009, 10:30:32 AM »

Aww.  That's a shame.  I did get a bit of a "generic" vibe off "9"'s trailers.

Inglourius Basterds was pretty swank, though.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 11, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »

From what I've read, the short film 9 (which the feature-length version is based on) is a lot better. The story is tighter in scope and not padded out by hordes of characters and subplots.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 11, 2009, 11:12:12 PM »

9 was pretty crappy. It looked really nice but frankly that's basically a given for computer animated shit these days. The monster things were pretty bad ass but the clichéd generic characters and nonsensical plot made it fall apart for me.

This is exactly true.  9 was well-animated, and the voice acting was competent, but in every other possible way it was absolute shit.  I am amazed at their ability to be both completely nonsensical and insane, and yet at the same time ridiculously cliche and by-the-book.

Also: [spoiler]when 9 plugged in the Plot Device and the thing ate 2 and 7 was like "What were you thinking?!?"[/spoiler], that is a damn good question.  I was wondering that myself.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 12, 2009, 05:51:54 AM »

Because SEVEN, EIGHT, NIIIINE AAA-HYUKYUKYUKYUK!!

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 12, 2009, 11:50:43 AM »

It retrospect, it was probably fitting that we went to see it on 9/11.  It was that bad.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #308 on: September 13, 2009, 11:47:35 AM »

Went to a double-feature at the local drive-in last night; saw Halloween 2 and The Goods.

Halloween 2 was a Halloween movie.  I didn't see the first one of the new series so I didn't get the backstory about how it's all Linderman's fault that Mike Myers became evil and how the main girl is his sister, but the movie kind of caught me up.  Best parts:
  • Weird Al heckles Linderman on a talk show
  • In the tradition of the genre, you know exactly who is going to die, but this is the first time I've ever seen "who's going to die" telegraphed by Halloween costumes.  The leading lady and her two friends dress as Rocky Horror characters; the one dressed as Magenta lives while the ones dressed as Frank and Columbia die.

The movie is very hard to make any sense of at a drive-in, because the poor lighting makes most of it impossible to see with city lights in the background.  I had great difficulty telling the characters apart and determining who was speaking at any given time.  However, I can't advise watching it anywhere else BUT at a drive-in, because Lord knows I wouldn't pay $8 to see this in a fucking indoor theater.  I'd say "wait for the Rifftrax" but honestly this would make a poor Rifftrax; too many long spaces where nobody says anything.

As for The Goods: it's a decent but forgettable movie in the Frat Pack tradition.  Not as good as, say, Talladega Nights or Anchorman, but fits in nicely with the tier-2 likes of Walk Hard and Blades of Glory.  I remember laughing but nothing really stands out as hilarious except Ferrell's cameo.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 24, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »

I saw Soul Power. It was amazing.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 24, 2009, 08:10:30 PM »

I saw it first though

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 25, 2009, 03:02:06 AM »

:khaaan: :enraged: :fuckyou:

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2009, 08:00:19 PM »

9: It's much easier to appreciate this one if you look at it as a surreal dreamy sort of thing instead of an actual coherent narrative.  If you even slightly scratch the surface of the plot, you'll fall in one of the many holes, but I don't think plot is the point.  It's very much a part of the Lucas-Spielberg Style-Over-Substance school of storytelling, with an emphasis on "telling" rather than "story", but it meanders a hell of a lot less than those two guys tend to do.  No, it never settles down to satisfactorily explain much of anything, but on the other hand that keeps it lean and tightly-paced.  And it's pretty friggin' gorgeous.

Extract: Not great, not terrible; a middling Mike Judge movie with a good cast.  Also an argument for my longstanding belief that Ben Affleck is great in supporting roles (I just hate him as a leading man).

Inglourious Basterds: Okay, so Tarantino's a genius.  I love the idea of a propaganda film about propaganda films, and the execution is even better than the high concept.  It's got all the Tarantino hallmarks: laughs, gore, postmodernism, and a great cast; Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz both put in fantastic performances.  Worth watching; worth owning.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 03, 2009, 08:46:08 PM »

Zombieland is the feel good family classic of the year.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 12, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »

Paranormal Activity is pretty much The Blair Witch Project 2: Niku Sleeps With The Lights On Again.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 12, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »

Wasn't there an actual Blair Witch Project 2?

Wasn't it completely atrocious in every possible way?

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 12, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »

THAT'S WHY THIS IS BLAIR WITCH 2 OKAY
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 12, 2009, 06:40:06 PM »

Zombieland:

I love zombies, and zombie movies. I love Night of the Living Dead, the original. I love 28 days later, the artsy one. I love Shaun of the Dead, the funny one. I love Resident Evil, the stupid one.

I came dangerously close to not loving Zombieland.

Wow-playing nerd survives the apocalypse and meets up with the girl of his every nerd's dreams and through zombie killing and heroic bravery idiocy wins her over so her can gently brush her hair back from her face? No thanks. I don't need to see the fantasy of every basement dweller brought to life on the silver screen.

The zombies were hardly scary, hardly gross. It's like they just threw them in as an afterthought after they were done writing a boy meets girl story. They paid zero attention to realism, (why is the fucking electricity still on everywhere?) which is fine, I guess, but just reinforces the carelessness of the writing.  Even Bill Murray's cameo was underwhelming.

Just based off the above, I probably would have filed this movie as the first zombie movie I ever saw and didn't like. (Note I have never actually seen 28 months later.)

Except for Woody Harrelson.

His character and acting literally saves this movie. Thank you, Woody. Please be in more movies.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 12, 2009, 07:12:45 PM »

I agree that "Every WoW player's wet dream come to life" sounded like quite possibly the worst description for a movie since "Keanu Reeves romantic comedy with poorly done traumatic WWII flashbacks", but plenty of folks I've talked to thought it was gassy.

Apparently, the key is to understand that the zombies are just tacked on to something that is essentially WOODY HARRELSON'S LAFF-A-MINUTE ROADTRIP oh and zombies, a nerd and some chick.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 16, 2009, 08:13:43 PM »

First Soul Power and now this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-wqmnJrOFM

HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT ELSE ISN'T PLAYING IN TORONTO!

FUCK

SHIT

FUCK

SHIT

FUCK

DAMMIT!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 59