Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100317 times)

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I watched a movie!
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2008, 09:52:19 PM »

Clicking on the Foreign Box Office tab illustrates that it still has plenty of territories to open in, but...

:shrug: Wake me up for AH&HB plz

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »

Wake me up for AH&HB plz

Fantasy where scrappy white hero finds God and a hot sassy girl amongst the A-RABs? HOW CAN THAT NOT BE A-MAZING!?

... That is basically how the book goes, right?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2008, 11:57:18 AM »

And a condescending talking horse.

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2008, 12:30:52 AM »

...I just had an epiphany:

Mostly Harmless is The Last Battle as written by an atheist.

...Seeing as we're pretty much off the rails of the Prince Caspian movie, now may be a good time to split.

...Maybe tomorrow.

EDIT: I just used the phrase "off the rails" in reference to The Last Battle, didn't I.
:endit:

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »

Kung Fu Panda.

All in all, a very fun movie.  Got me psyched for whenever Brutal Legend comes out.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2008, 11:44:40 AM »

A debate with some friends over the highest-grossing movie of all time (so far I'm winning) lead to me finding this website: Take a look at the last entry in the chart, Zyzzyx Road.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »

Adjusted for ticket price, it's Gone With the Wind.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »

Incredible Hulk was actually surprisingly good. a much better villain, no hulkdogs, decent plot, and a pretty sweet cameo from tony stark.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2008, 11:57:56 PM »

Hulk was grrrrreat.

Shamalama's new movie is unbelievably bad, however.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »

Shyamaleman's newest is getting a 20% on RT.  Fucking sad.  Does he know how to make a movie that isn't 99% setup, 1% payoff?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »

The Happening (or "Whats Happening" as listed on my theater's marquee) has [spoiler]no payoff[/spoiler]. That's the tweest! The Suicide Club angle is matinee worthy, but there simply isn't enough plotline to warrant a full movie production, even a ninety minute affair such as this one. It plays out like the best student film you'll ever see. Airbender is going to be downright ethereal by Hollywood standards.

While walking out after the film, stop suddenly, and then slowly start walking backwards with a few friends. EDIT: Would've harked on how the film is anti-society and anti-scientific theory, but Night is a well known fundamentalist assbag, so no point speaking further on the subject.

Hulk smashed.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2008, 08:55:49 AM »

Hulk smashed.

This was, in fact, on the itinerary of my friend's Friday the 13th birthday party. Sadly, I was the designated driver.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2008, 10:55:16 PM »

Hulk was pretty good.  Not as good as Iron Man, but had a much better climax.

Very curious to see all the cut footage that Norton's so pissed about losing, including the Cap scene.  DVD should be interesting.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »

To note that Get Smart's funniest bits are all callbacks to the TV series doesn't really qualify as a complaint; Get Smart wouldn't be Get Smart without the shoe phone, the Cone of Silence, "Sorry about that, Chief," "Missed it by THAT much," and "Would you believe...?"  ("I asked you not to tell me that," surprisingly, is not uttered.)

Carell and Arkin are impeccably cast, though the Chief spends too much time kicking ass and not enough being exasperated with Max.  Also, Bill Murray and Patrick Warburton put in fantastic cameos; Warburton's such a perfect pick that I knew which character he was playing before his name was uttered.

All in all, it's not nearly as brilliant or as funny as the source material (well...maybe the last couple seasons), but it's not a bad homage.

The TV show's been out as a Time-Life DVD collection which is available practically nowhere for several years; the first season is finally getting wide release in August.  (To tide you over, the horrible 1990's revival starring Andy Dick is available now!)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2008, 10:01:23 PM »

Holy balls did The Happening suck.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2008, 07:05:06 AM »

Why do people go to see such obviously shitty movies? Damn it Kabbage, It was a Shamalama Ding Dong movie, what the hell did you expect?!

I mean, alright, that scene in the trailer with the construction worker hitting the pavement and then the other guys walking over to see what the hell happened and then looking up to see three more bodies falling almost lifelessly towards them was a well composed scene that really deserves to be put in an actual good movie at some point down the road. But fuck man, don't fall for good art direction in one scene, Shammy always has that and it is always a sham!

I'm gonna spoil this movie right now because it's so shitty, and Dimastines, an other poor fool who went to see this told me about it, there is no standard twist, it actually is the plants that they think is doing it the whole time that is causing the problem. I don't know what these plants are, or where they came from because I haven't seen the movie, but they are the culprits. I caught them red-leaved!
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2008, 07:36:20 AM »

I think it's just that it's been so, so long since a horror movie has even remotely entertained me, that I really would love to be genuinely surprised or outright disturbed by whatever completely alien situation Shyamalan might throw on screen. I mean, what's been scary to me, and most people I figure, is the unexplainable - forces which could potentially exist (i.e. none of this unbeatable demon magic bullshit), yet play by a completely different set of rules that aren't immediately apparent, that the cast has to grapple with and figure out.

I loved stuff like Cloverfield, Dawn of the Dead, most of War of the Worlds, and even fucking Signs because although in most cases you could piece the overall story together, a lot of it was the cast being shaken out of complacency, having to adapt and survive in the face of something which, as far as they knew, they weren't very likely to fully understand. Shyamalan's a bad director, The Happening kinda forced me to face that, but at least he seemed to of been, well, trying to actually scare me.

Alex

• the Slug
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2008, 08:23:14 AM »

I just watched I Am Legend the other day and...wow.  I enjoyed it significantly (especially the ending because it wasn't the freaking book's ending) and was pretty surprised to see Will Smith do a mostly serious role as well as he did.  I wish I could say the same thing about Adam Sandler.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »

They have an alternate ending that somehow got cut out in favor of world-is-fixed-now, which I am forever baffled didn't make the cut. God forbid you give the movie some depth.

YOU DECIDE :imagination:

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2008, 09:16:15 AM »

I Am Legend had more potential than a barrel of potential monkeys, but it had garbage payoff.

The alternate ending is about ten times better, but ten times crap is still crap.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 59