Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100315 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in the Theater
« Reply #400 on: December 22, 2009, 10:12:45 AM »

Sort of like a Conan who grew up, found the world to be a dark and empty place, and drank himself to death. Not that that makes a bad story.

As opposed to a Conan who never left home, found the world to be a dark and empty place, and shot himself in the head.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 22, 2009, 11:14:20 AM »

Sort of like a Conan who grew up, found the world to be a dark and empty place, and drank himself to death. Not that that makes a bad story.

As opposed to a Conan who never left home, found the world to be a dark and empty place, and shot himself in the head.

That's another way of getting the gist of it across, yes.

EDIT: YES, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE. :oic:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 22, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »

:3

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 23, 2009, 06:37:32 AM »

So I watched the avatar 3D last night. 

Not bad.  The sort of Sci fi that would fail to be in a book, but enjoyable nonetheless.  I have to say though that the movie has so many components of the Alien movies that it's not funny. 

Corporate douchebag
Ripley
Alien force overpowering space marines

The list can go on.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 23, 2009, 09:58:06 PM »

Black Dynamite available for streaming here

Two things: 1) Only 'Version 13' works on the above page, every other version is a dead link. 2) Do not ever pause the movie, it FUCKS the feed and makes it an unwatchable stuttering mess. Connection speed seems to be immaterial here.

No time to watch it right now, but hopefully I can see it in the next day or two before it gets yoinked.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #405 on: December 26, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »

Sherlock Holmes sets the record for most uses of the phrase "ginger midget" in a movie.

Also, pretty much the reviews are right: it's a pretty dumb story saved by the chemistry between Downey and Law.  The guy who plays Lestrade is pretty great too.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 26, 2009, 09:19:32 PM »

Koipond keeps telling me he wants to go see it just to see the abovementioned chemistry.

I find the same thing tempting, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to stand this movie, untless it's actually a sly tongue-in-cheek self-parody.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 27, 2009, 08:17:36 AM »

I'm sure there's a way you can determine that by how often Robert Downey Jr. takes his shirt off.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #408 on: December 27, 2009, 09:23:33 PM »

Avatar is a three-dimensional film with a cast of two-dimensional characters.

Really nothing to add to what everyone else is saying.  It's a phenomenal step forward in technology, at least as important as Terminator 2/Jurassic Park/The Mask and maybe as important as Star Wars.  It also has a fucking awful script; seriously, in two hours and forty minutes there was not a single good line of dialogue.  I am not exaggerating.  Just bad bad bad bad bad writing as window-dressing to an incredibly gorgeous movie.

See it in IMAX if you can, and at the very least see it in 3D.  If you can't see it in 3D, don't see it.  Because that would be like seeing The Wizard of Oz in black-and-white.  If The Wizard of Oz had a shitty script.

On the 3D: it took about an hour for my eyes to adjust; prior to that anything I wasn't focused directly on would have a double-vision thing going.  But it's an improvement over previous 3D live-action I've seen, like Superman Returns, which felt like layered paper cutouts; the figures here had actual depth.  (Again, I am speaking only in terms of visuals!)

On the world: WETA has fucking-well not rested on its laurels.  Remember how big a deal Gollum was compared to the CG critters we'd seen before?  Here's a whole world of realistically-rendered alien flora and fauna.  Cameron's vision in finding a new way of making films is fully borne out here.

On the story: ...Jesus Christ.  I really can't overstress just how bad it is.  If you can't see the movie in 3D and feel like you're missing out, just rent Dances With Wolves or Fern Gully.  Do not watch it in 2D.

(ALSO: This year saw the release of movies titled 9, Nine, and District 9.  There are going to be some confused people at Blockbuster in the next few months.)

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 29, 2009, 10:53:23 PM »

Saw the Princess and the Frog today after well over a week of trying to get someone to go with me. It struck me as the kind of movie a guy can't go to alone, you know?

The movie was great, The story was great. The songs were fantastic. I enjoyed the Voodoo guy. Of course, some parts of the film were too scary for the kiddies. There were a few screams during a couple of parts. It was a nice, touching, funny movie. It was a lot better than what I expected. I'd say it's easily better than Lion King, Little Mermaid, and the other films they are comparing it too. I rank it under  Aladdin, I think. A lot of the animation reminded me of Jungle Book. And the Jazz songs were great.

Well worth the afternoon matinee. Especially since it was free popcorn/soda day.

Transportation

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 30, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »

Yeah, the part where [spoiler]Facilier is dragged to voodoo hell[/spoiler] was pretty terrifying for a kid's movie. Not that I'm complaining.

The swamp part felt like it dragged a little despite being needed plot-wise. This may or may not have something to do with me being a little drained from having a musical number every five seconds.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 30, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »

Well, I don't mind lots of songs but did everyone need an introductory song?

I mean, [spoiler]Ray didn't need a song, nor did his family, and ESPECIALLY not Evangeline. Hers was ok, I think. But not needed with the other songs.[/spoiler] Of course, though [spoiler]Mama Odie and everything that Facilier touched[/spoiler] was gold.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 31, 2009, 02:59:06 PM »

Avatar proves once again that there's no problem that can't be solved by having the biggest dragon.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 05, 2010, 09:56:44 PM »

princess and the frog had terrible, unmemorable music.  but man, dr. facilier, yes.

sherlock holmes continues robert downey jr.'s campaign to glue my lips to his dick
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 05, 2010, 10:42:56 PM »

I liked Princess and the Frog a lot, but I don't care much for the whole middle part of the movie. The opening is well-done, and the ending is great, but the bayou stuff is just "here's several boring songs and a few gags". Okay, the stuff with the frog hunters was some decent Looney Tunes-like humor.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 06, 2010, 01:32:55 AM »

It's really a continuation of the Disney tradition of "90% of this fairy tale movie is mice getting into trouble"

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 06, 2010, 07:39:17 AM »

The opening scenes were great, Facilier was an excellent villain who was really underused (his evil scheme never got past the planning phase, whereas most Disney villains at least execute some kind of tyrannical takeover that must be undone), and the animation throughout was lively colorful.  But on the whole I can only view the film as rather average, not a return to glory.

For one, they spent a lot of time on background paintings and beautiful animation, but the majority of the film happens in a swamp, which no matter how they light it or paint it, is still a swamp.  It's sad to be treated to the opening vistas of a lively, detailed New Orleans only to spend most of the film staring at weeds and moss.

And the music was incredibly forgettable.  I recall there was a zydeco piece but nothing else.  Nothing that really stood out, like "Be Our Guest", "Friend Like Me", or "Hakuna Matata".  They were just songs, and I was glad when they were over.

Also, in the final scenes, when [spoiler]Ray's body was lifted in to the heavens and became a star[/spoiler] I nearly vomited all over myself.

The film wasn't horrible, it just wasn't a return to their greatness of their first stuff or even the early 90s stuff like Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.  See it as a matinee if you see it at all.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 07, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »

fuck it, avatar was pretty, i don't care if it was just dances with wolves.  shiny.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 07, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »

fuck it, avatar was pretty, i don't care if it was just dances with wolves.  shiny.

SIGOURNEY WEAVER'S AVATAR WAS THE MOST FRIGHTENING THING I'VE EVER SEEN

AND JUST THIS MORNING I HAD A DREAM ABOUT JESUS EATING A CYLON

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 07, 2010, 06:54:31 PM »

don't be silly

jesus ate nine I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 59