Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100073 times)

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in the Theater
« Reply #760 on: May 06, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »

I liked Thor. It was as good a visual adaptation of the crazy Kirby shit as anybody could hope for, the writing was good, and they made good compromises between mythology and story, which is prudent - there's just too much mythology for them to have actually kept it all. No prophecy, no mention of Ragnarok, and a fairly limited cast of Asgardians; a few nice bits if you know what to look for (Sleipnir makes a cameo); and good writing. The only point which I have actual objections to is the fairly explicit implication that Odin lost his eye in battle with the frost giants.

It did not work in 3d very well at all; the insane color palette of the cosmic scenes just don't agree with the glasses. I'll see it again in 2d next week, and I suspect it will look a lot better that way.

I also like how they worked Donald Blake in. Very cute.

The credit candy was disappointing, though - [spoiler]I didn't know what the Cosmic Cube was until just now, and there's no apparent link between it and anything else, although apparently it's the source of the Red Skull's world domination plans in Captain America (hence Fury's mention about history?)[/spoiler]

THAD EDIT: Tagged for spoilers.  Dude, seriously?  The movie came out TODAY.  You are literally describing the LAST SCENE IN IT.  You should not have to be told that is not okay.  Fuck you.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 06, 2011, 04:46:27 PM »

Cool spoilers, bro.

But yeah, don't bother seeing it in 3D.  Which is generally the case for ALL movies.  I was actually 3D surprised (my pass last week mentioned nothing about it until they gave me the glasses) and would have been happier without.  It's not painful, it just rarely helps anything at all in the film.

And re said spoilers: [spoiler]Well yeah, each stinger has lead into the next movie, but this is the first time the next movie has technically taken place beforehand.  They explained what the cube was just fine for the purpose of the credits, which was that it is a powerful thing that Loki wants.  I mean if you didn't know what Mjolnir was, you'd be just as confused by the stinger at the end of Iron Man 2.[/spoiler]
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 07, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »

Thor, I feel, captures the correct vibe that Marvel Comic Book movies need to have; a tongue in cheek rompy feel that builds up with some comedic moments and finally throws it all aside to watch the superhero do his thing.

If I have any criticism of the movie, it's that Thor was not naked from the waist up nearly enough, and Natalie Portman was never naked at all.

also I kept wanting to say to that one guy looooook into my eyes, I don't need therapy, wooOoOooOOooo

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 15, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »

Just got back from seeing Priest.
I really liked it. It had everything I wanted. Post apocalyptic totalitarian sci-fi western with old school monsters [spoiler]motorcycles hitting vampires in the head, Asian chicks in leather with chain whips, a scene where the monsters comedically tumble inside a spinning train like they were in a dryer, and the good looking hero who gets left behind and catches up and the end and everyone knows he was worthless the whole time[/spoiler]

I honestly enjoyed it. Laughed for the entire [spoiler]John Stamos Van Helsing vs Bald Neo[/spoiler] fight but it was great.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 18, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »

Saw Pirates: On Stranger Tides last night.

It's... not very good. I suspect it suffers primarily from bad editing; there's a lot of plot holes (I'm very confused about mermaid physiology), but I get the feeling that a lot of those holes were probably resolved in scenes that didn't make it into the movie.

Having said that, it's not terrible, either. There's some good jokes, and Penelope Cruz is all kinds of fun.

There is not a single naval battle. In fact, I don't think there's even a single cannon fired in the movie.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: May 18, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »

Kate Beaton can inform you on everything you might ever need to know about mermaids.

Well, her or Mark Siegel.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 19, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »

I do not remember [spoiler]Scorpion-style kelp lashes[/spoiler] in Beaton's comics.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 19, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »

The Tuxedo: Chink in Knight's Armor.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #768 on: May 28, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »

Thor was a fun if mostly by-the-numbers story, but where it really impressed was in its set and costume design.  Absolutely fucking gorgeous, and the Kirbyest movie I have ever seen.

It did a pretty admirable job of combining my favorite elements -- Kirby and Simonson both present in the designs of Asgard and Jotunheim, Simonson's Casket of Ancient Winters a major MacGuffin in the story, Coipel the most obvious influence on the costumes (though of course they're his version of Kirby/Simonson designs), a dash of JMS in the scene where Sif and the Warriors Three are just strolling down the street getting sidelong glances, and a good bit of Millar/Hitch in the "everybody thinks Thor is crazy" bits.

Where it really fell down, though, was (one of many places) where Thor: The Mighty Avenger excelled: the Thor/Jane relationship.  It feels like it happens because it's supposed to, not because it flows naturally or organically from the story.  A pity.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 03, 2011, 01:19:57 AM »

I... I liked First Class. It was actually really good.
Two things: [spoiler]When they recruit, one of the guys is Alex Summers. Seriously? I just felt they could have chosen a different guy for the role.[/spoiler] But that's just me being nitpicky with things, I suppose.
The other thing being [spoiler]The moment I saw Darwin talking to the others I turned to my buddy and said "He's the one who's going to die." And ten minutes later, I was right. Not because he was black or whatever tropes you like, but because I didn't recognize him and if I didn't know who he was, he was expendable.[/spoiler]

Oh. And then my biggest complaint: Not enough Nazi killing. Not spoiling it because I always complain about that in every movie. Every movie ever made would be improved by more Nazi killing.

JOXAM EDITED YOUR SPOILER TAGS: LOTTEL, LEARN HOW TO DO SPOILER TAGS. JUST BECAUSE I WORK IN A THEATER DOESN'T MEAN I DIDN'T WANT TO SEE THIS MOVIE D:

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 03, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »

SORRY JOXAM.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #771 on: June 03, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »

...Jesus fuck.  I hate to toss out two ban threats in as many minutes, but we just went through this shit.

Next person who has to be warned about spoiler tags gets a two-day posting ban.

Next person who has to be warned about spoiler tags ON THE SAME FUCKING PAGE WHERE SOMEBODY ELSE JUST GOT WARNED ABOUT SPOILER TAGS gets three.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #772 on: June 03, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »

lottel actually tried to do spoiler tags, he just sucks at them apperently. for future reference its 'spoiler' not 'spoilers'.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 03, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »

I know. I know. I'm just extra letter happy. I always type "spoilers" instead of "spoiler." I just usually fix it after I post.

SORRY JOXAM.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 03, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »

Whenever I remember that maybe I'm spoiling something someone other than me cares about I use the "preview" button for exactly that purpose.

At one point I also did that to make sure I remembered the emoticon tags as well, but I just don't care anymore.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 13, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »

I've said in the past that I just don't trust trailers anymore. Super 8 is a good example of why.

Disregard the trailers; they are lies. Super 8's chief influence is not The X-Files, not Cloverfield, and not (as some have suggested) E.T. Mark my words, the chief influence of Super 8 was The Goonies. It's the same kind of movie - a team of spunky kids have a fantastic adventure etcetera etcetera - and I thought it was quite good. Make sure you stay after the start of the credits for what might be the best part.

Midnight in Paris is the best film I've seen this year. I absolutely love it. Don't read anything about it, it's a movie that can't be explained in concept without spoilers that will quite honestly take away something from the film. Just go see it.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #776 on: June 13, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »

...now see, Goonies is EXACTLY what I got from the trailer.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 13, 2011, 07:01:03 PM »

It's possible that some trailers lied more than others. The one we've had playing on loop in the lobby is just the train crash with a Thing punching a door off a wrecked car - makes it look like a horror/action movie, which it really isn't.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 14, 2011, 05:40:31 AM »

The "interactive trailer" that you get with the PC version of Portal 2 made it seem like a nearly post-apocalyptic horror film. Plus, when people hear JJ Abrams and "monster movie" they immediately think of Cloverfield. That said, I was hoping for something more live-action Iron Giant from the trailer I saw. C'est la vie. It's still an Abrams film though, so I don't know if I'm eager to rush out and see it. What I am looking forward to seeing, though, is Tree of Life, which looks gorgeous and captivating just from the trailer:

THE TREE OF LIFE Official HD Trailer

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 14, 2011, 07:10:23 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 59