Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100306 times)

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in the Theater
« Reply #880 on: October 09, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »

So, Real Steel is pretty good, I thought. Pretty Solid over all, great fight sequences that actually do a pretty decent job of getting you to root for the protagonists.

The female love interest was about as generally ancillary as you can get, though. [spoiler]There also seemed to be the implication that the main robot, Atom, and the champion, Zeus, were both built by the same guy, Tak Mashido, but that was never directly referenced and never went anywhere.[/spoiler]

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 09, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »

50/50 really played up the comedy in the trailer. I kind of expected a light-hearted romp using cancer as a plot-device.
That is NOT the case.

Good movie but had I known better, I probably wouldn't have gone. Serious cancer movies hit a little close. Of course, I should have just made a "no cancer movies" rule.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 11, 2011, 05:47:33 AM »

Of course, I should have just made a "no cancer movies" rule.
It's never too late.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 23, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »

So I watched Paranormal Activity 3 today because I thought the first one was decent. I didn't see the 2nd one but thought, you know, since this is a prequel, it shouldn't matter.

I was right, it didn't matter. The move wasn't enjoyable no matter what would have preceded it. Do not watch this movie.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 23, 2011, 11:20:44 AM »

Yeah, judging by the commercials alone they seem to have really gone overboard with the OH NO LOOK A SPOOKY GHOST bullshit. The first movie never really did that, I don't recall, until the ending.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: October 25, 2011, 05:57:25 PM »

Well, I have friends who complained about the exceptionally misleading trailers, so that may or may not be representative of the actual movie with regards to your specific issue.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 27, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »

The trailers were not very representational of the film. In fact, there are scenes in the trailers that simply were not in the film (or maybe I was in the restroom when they happened, but I'm pretty sure that is not the case). It's honestly just a watered down version of the first one. There was nothing new except for some revealing shit at the end that made no sense and just kind of pissed me off more than anything.

So I just got back from watching The Ides of March and that one was really good. If you are interested in politics (not policies, but the actual art of getting people to vote for your guy) it is worth watching. The acting is good, the story believable (hell, it's probably true), and the setting relevant (it's 2012 and 2 democrats are fighting over the Ohio primary). It is not very suspenseful, and there is no violence or anything like that, which is why it stands out to me against all the other films that are about people blowing each other up. The fact that it started out as a live production probably has something to do with this.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #887 on: October 27, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »

Oh hey Ghostbusters is apparently currently enjoying a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run.  Check your local theaters and times.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 27, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »

tell me how

please provide a descriptiove link please

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 27, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

I would watch the shit out of Ghostbusters on the big screen

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 27, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »

Unfortunately it seems like it was only for Thursday in theaters in my city. I missed all the showings before I found out.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #891 on: October 28, 2011, 06:52:55 AM »

tell me how

please provide a descriptiove link please

I use moviefone.com because it had advertisements with that guy with the funny voice in the 1990's.

Unfortunately it seems like it was only for Thursday in theaters in my city. I missed all the showings before I found out.

Sorry 'bout that; I only noticed because I was looking for a movie to go see and BAM! Ghostbusters.

Double-check your listings for Monday; we've got several theaters around here running it again for Halloween.  (And one running it on Tuesday.)

Anyhow, I got to see it and it was great!

I think what stuck out the most is how clearly every single person involved in making the movie was enjoying the hell out of themselves.  The cast, the effects guys, the set/costume/prop designers...clearly it was a blast to make, and it's still a blast to watch.

And one of those movies I think honestly can't be improved on.  (Even if it had been made a decade later and the bluescreen/stop-motion stuff had been less hokey, I think it would have been a worse movie for it.)  I can see how the sequel is a disappointment simply by comparison, though I never really understood the hate for it; Ghostbusters 2 is a perfectly decent movie and one of the better sequels I've seen over the years, it's just that the original is unbeatable.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 01, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »

In Time is just all over the map.

The plot is a big allegory, and they don't do much to hide it. Sometimes the acting is fun and the storytelling works; sometimes it's incredibly hamfisted. The biggest issue is that, for a movie where time is a very important plot point and a recurring motivator, there's a lot of weird jumps in the timeline. In one of the many scenes in which a character has JUST MINUTES/HOURS/SECONDS to live, there's a scene transition and suddenly it's not dark out anymore.

I can't think of any other movies I've seen in which an incorruptible cop is a bad guy. That's worth a point. (But they're bad cops. You can tell because they have leather coats.)

The design is great, too. There's a lot of brushed steel, and a lot of work was put into the cars; they all sound electric. And the cop cars have flashing white LEDs.

Finally, mad props for making a setting in which two-men-enter-one-man-leaves arm wrestling is a plot point.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Da_Beerman

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »

Finally, mad props for making a setting in which two-men-enter-one-man-leaves arm wrestling is a plot point.

is this a remake of Over The Top?
XBL gamertag: bakedplayaslaya
Steam ID: Da_Beerman
Limits will be pushed

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 01, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »

You know, Da_Beerman doesn't post a lot but I've never read a post and thought ill of the guy.
Post more you bastard.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 01, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »

That's a stupid idea. Encouraging someone to post more is encouraging them to send out material they aren't proud of. Never do that.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 02, 2011, 04:58:43 AM »

Why not? We let you do it.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 02, 2011, 05:27:53 AM »

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 02, 2011, 07:06:36 AM »

Why not? We let you do it.

You are exactly proving my point. It's eventually going to evolve into a mad, constant, passive-aggressive hatred for you. And every post is going to exist for the express purpose of your slow destruction.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #899 on: November 22, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »

I am very much looking forward to seeing some Muppets.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 59