Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100076 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in the Theater
« Reply #900 on: November 22, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »

Some, but not all.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 22, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »

My boss saw a trade screening some weeks ago. She's been looking forward to it coming out just so she can see it again.

She believes that being a Muppets fan is, in her words, a "lifestyle".
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 24, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »

There is nothing to gain by trying to criticize The Muppets. It’s a fool’s errand. Trying to find fault with The Muppets is like scaling a skyscraper made of ice, like swimming up Niagara. I’m sure it’s possible, but anyone that puts in enough effort to find something wrong with The Muppets is probably a spectacularly unpleasant person to be around. It’s not a perfect movie, but the sum of its parts is more than perfect: It’s sublime, capable of bringing the kind of joy they sing about in holiday songs. It won’t kill cynicism; it will transform it into bliss. It will melt the black off of coal. It doesn’t matter how many terrible films you’ve seen in your lifetime, The Muppets is a freight train of emotion and it will make you believe in the magic of movies again.

I actually feel like they undersold it a little.  Nostalgia is a terrifying power.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #903 on: November 25, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »

Not just nostalgia but pure, undiluted sincerity.

There's no cynicism to be found anywhere in the movie, and only the barest hint of irony.

The Muppets have always mixed childlike playfulness and wonderment with adult subversiveness.  Segel, McKenzie, and everybody else who poured their blood, sweat, and tears into this movie Gets It.

Let's make it a third trilogy.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 25, 2011, 05:43:53 PM »

I went to see this last night. I'd normally say here "I love the Muppets" but after thinking, I'm not sure you could find someone who didn't.
And I liked the movie. I did. But.
The movie kind of was eh until The Muppets actually showed up. I mean, I get why they weren't around for the first 20 minutes or whatever but the movie didn't start until Kermit popped up. After that it was gold. Pure muppety gold.

EDIT: EXCEPT IT NEEDED MORE STATLER AND WALDORF.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 26, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 26, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »

Also, there seems to be some sort of problem with the way the birth scene has flashes of red light in it, causing photosensitive epilepsy.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 26, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »

Causing? Like, people go into it without epilepsy, and leave the theater with epilepsy? I didn't know that was a thing.

Although recently somebody claimed the beeping of our popcorn poppers could cause autism. Like, in adults. That was pretty great.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 27, 2011, 09:26:37 AM »

It's not a cause, it's a trigger. They had it when they came in, it just never activated before.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 27, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »

The fact that people are having seizures when Rensnensnanemansanewhatever the fuck her name is is born is nothing short of a direct message from God Mormon Jesus.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #910 on: November 27, 2011, 05:04:29 PM »

Mormos.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 27, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »

Hugo is a stealth hagiography of Georges Méliès. Which I am 100% okay with, because it's the hagiography Méliès deserves.

The whole thing is just a way of tricking theater audiences into learning about early, great film history. There's truly just a part of the movie which is SURPRISE HISTORY LESSON, but it's a montage of great early film sequences (with the interesting omission of Odessa Steps, now that I think about it), so they're images that people kind of deserve to see.

There are segments of the film that I think Scorsese included simply for the pleasure of being able to duplicate, shot-for-shot, sequences of Méliès films. (That, or so he could have a duplicate of the Man in the Moon from A Trip to the Moon hanging over his fireplace.) But it's a joy to see something like those films in modern definition and color, so it's kind of a universal boon.

Of course, all the bits that aren't about Méliès are pretty good, too! (Mr. Cohen is a particular delight.) My only real complaint is that it runs a little bit long, but honestly? It's really worth seeing.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 28, 2011, 01:02:48 AM »

Today I learned what a "hagiography" was!

I'm never using that word.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 29, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »

Hugo is a stealth hagiography of Georges Méliès. Which I am 100% okay with, because it's the hagiography Méliès deserves.

The whole thing is just a way of tricking theater audiences into learning about early, great film history. There's truly just a part of the movie which is SURPRISE HISTORY LESSON, but it's a montage of great early film sequences (with the interesting omission of Odessa Steps, now that I think about it), so they're images that people kind of deserve to see.

There are segments of the film that I think Scorsese included simply for the pleasure of being able to duplicate, shot-for-shot, sequences of Méliès films. (That, or so he could have a duplicate of the Man in the Moon from A Trip to the Moon hanging over his fireplace.) But it's a joy to see something like those films in modern definition and color, so it's kind of a universal boon.

Of course, all the bits that aren't about Méliès are pretty good, too! (Mr. Cohen is a particular delight.) My only real complaint is that it runs a little bit long, but honestly? It's really worth seeing.
The movie is based on the absolutely delightful, 2007 Caldecott-winning The Invention of Hugo Cabret, if anyone in interested.  It really is fantastic.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #914 on: December 10, 2011, 04:45:59 PM »

The Muppets: "Man or Muppet" Music Video

Spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: December 11, 2011, 06:17:57 PM »

As you may recall, I work at a movie theater.

Today, some kids bought tickets to New Year's Eve, with the intent of sneaking into Immortals. They weren't very subtle about it, so one of my coworkers was watching them, and lo and behold.

Normally we'd kick them out, but he instead just sent them back into New Year's Eve - he figured that was punishment enough.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #916 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:53 AM »

Yeah, Hugo really is great.

Scorsese doesn't always hit it out of the park, but this is one of those occasions where he did.  And what's particularly delightful is his easy knack for taking shit that is usually awful and showing that no guys, this can actually WORK if you do it right -- the 3D is used to brilliant effect, the clockpunk feels like more than a just-for-the-hell-of-it creative anachronism, the scenes that dial up the blue and orange do it for a reason, the child actors shine even in a cast that features Ben Kingsley and Christopher Lee, and Sacha Baron Cohen's over-the-top French railway inspector suggests that even the Pink Panther remakes could have worked in the right hands.  The symbolism isn't subtle but neither is it overbearing or preachy.  It all seems so effortless, because Scorsese is just that good.

A great movie, and it makes me want to learn more about Melies.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 18, 2011, 09:59:31 PM »

Life's list of things to do before I die:

[_/] Kill that whiny fuck Arthas
[   ] Attain inner peace
[   ] Attain peace with family/forgive family
[   ] Ride a shark
[   ] Ride a shark on Mars
[   ] Marriage, babies, suburbia
[   ] Write a novel
[_/] See Robert Downey, Jr engage in entirely mental "physical" combat with Professor Moriarty while simultaneously beating him at Chess
[_/] Win as the Vampires

But seriously, great movie. Regarding the inevitable comparison to the first: Both are good. I guess you could decide to like one more than the other if that's your thing.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 18, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »

Oh.

I guess I'll turn into a shark then.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 18, 2011, 10:49:53 PM »

Ride a chrome shark on Mars.

... or model for a Boris Vallejo painting. Same thing, really.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 59