Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 59

Author Topic: Movies in the Theater  (Read 100075 times)

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I watched a movie!
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »

Speed Racer

Visually innovative

An absolute thrill ride

I paid for the whole seat but only used the edge

I was wondering when an action cinema would use CG to showcase rapid-motion landscape pans. Bravo to the brothers W for mainstreaming yet another filming trope to go along with bullet time.

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »

I forgot to post about how I seen Iron Man like a week ago.

The story was really good except that at the start they tried too hard to make Tony Stark a dick. The graphics were very impressive, and the music was cool too. The only thing I didn't like was how umm...we don't have spoiler tags? Well...

SPOILERS

Iron Man has to fight at the end as a cripple. I mean, would it have killed to end it with a full power one on one fight? Also, at the end when he reviles himself to be Iron Man was kinda  :derp:.

END SPOILERS.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 05:03:21 PM »

If writing above a seventh grade comprehension level is "intellectual dick-waving"

I posit that demeaning someone for not understanding what you've said qualifies as "dick-waving". A reader does have some obligation to bring some basic understanding to the table, but purposefully excluding someone from a discussion above and beyond the barriers their ignorance creates is immature and sadistic. Do you agree?

That said:
he reviles himself
REVEAL you ignorant smegma licker!

Some things are just unacceptable.

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 05:05:44 PM »

If writing above a seventh grade comprehension level is "intellectual dick-waving"

I posit that demeaning someone for not understanding what you've said qualifies as "dick-waving". A reader does have some obligation to bring some basic understanding to the table, but purposefully excluding someone from a discussion above and beyond their ignorance is immature and sadistic.

That said:
he reviles himself

And just what is a "posit" Mr.spelling correcter?

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 05:14:01 PM »

And just what is a "posit" Mr.spelling correcter corrector?

posit, transitive verb.
1. To assume the existence of; postulate.
2. To put forward, as for consideration or study.
3. To place firmly in position.

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »

:derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp:

posit, transitive verb.
1. To assume the existence of; postulate.
2. To put forward, as for consideration or study.
3. To place firmly in position.
:sadpanda:

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 05:17:16 PM »

It's another chance for you to fail. Seriously, it's stereotypical erudite babble. Don't you watch TV? Ever? Before you realized it was mostly awful?

EDIT: Thanks Zara for being less of a shit about it.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »

I posit that demeaning someone for not understanding what you've said qualifies as "dick-waving". A reader does have some obligation to bring some basic understanding to the table, but purposefully excluding someone from a discussion above and beyond their ignorance is immature and sadistic.

That said:
he reviles himself

i am framing this post on my wall
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 07:17:36 PM »

:facepalm: I hate you all.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 09:05:50 PM »

I posit that demeaning someone for not understanding what you've said qualifies as "dick-waving". A reader does have some obligation to bring some basic understanding to the table, but purposefully excluding someone from a discussion above and beyond the barriers their ignorance creates is immature and sadistic. Do you agree?

Agreed.  There's speaking above a seventh-grade level, and then there's being so arcane that nobody knows what the fuck you're talking about.  I'm still trying to figure out what you meant when you said the movie was lifeless.

Why, it's a week-long posting ban!  :victory:

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »

hahahah oh wow

That post was... beautiful.

Speed Racer

Visually innovative

An absolute thrill ride

I paid for the whole seat but only used the edge

I was wondering when an action cinema would use CG to showcase rapid-motion landscape pans. Bravo to the brothers W for mainstreaming yet another filming trope to go along with bullet time.

I liked how it looked. I like how Christine Ricci looked. I liked John Goodman and the guy from V for Vendetta. I can't say a whole lot more for it.

Granted, I never watched the show, and likely never will.
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 11:44:25 PM »

:facepalm: I hate you all.
I understood you, Arc.
...but is it art?

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2008, 07:03:44 AM »

Welcome to the Eighth grade, Bill. Here, I'll share my Sunny D with you.

I'm still trying to figure out what you meant when you said the movie was lifeless.

I meant just that.

Everything outside of the performances is by the book. I speak not of the comic book, but of cinema craftsmanship. Due to this, the movie lacks a life of its own. Labeling my comments as 'arcane' is really reaching, and leads me to question if you are being obtuse.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2008, 09:15:55 PM »

You are being vague to the point of incomprehensibility, an unfortunate habit you have developed.

Okay, you're talking about cinema craftsmanship.  Good, okay, that's a clarification and helps make your point easier to understand.  I'd still say that simply waving your hand at "everything" instead of providing any actual examples is unnecessarily vague, but I've got a good idea what you mean now.

I'm just not sure how that's different from where I said it was conventional.  And, seeing as you said it was okay to be conventional but not lifeless, you are clearly saying they are not the same thing.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 06:00:00 AM »

See Arc, once someone has given a particular opinion it becomes passe and irrelevant.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 07:50:31 AM »

Best to just copy + paste from Rotten Tomatoes then.

Thad, our posting styles honestly haven't changed in any drastic manner over the years, let alone in meaning and comprehension. I still inject quips, you still pound away the paragraphs. Going into length about how the origin story may remain intact, but loading on example after example of how the surrounding film is a dry affair (outside of the performances) simply doesn't interest me as a writing exercise at the moment.

It's a one off personal observation, made to be brief. If you wish to point out where my 'arcane', 'vague', and 'incomprehensible' text exactly is, it'd be helpful and I'd listen, as I legitimately don't see this in my messages.

At least the confusion over By The Book was a hoot.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 09:02:38 AM »

Arc just smokes cigarettes to look cool.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 10:30:24 AM »

This could be due simply to the fact that I'm a genius, but the original post doesn't seem overly cryptic or meandering, at least not to the point of incomprehensibility. I'd much rather read something somewhat funny or clever than a crushingly complete, militant affidavit*, for The Records, of Arc's exact thoughts on Iron Man.

I'm as annoyed as anyone by pointless literary masturbation, but I don't really think that's what's going on here. Think we just need more of those magical little one-word descriptive modifiers when busting out hellageneral terms like "life" in reference to what I'm sure is an hour and a half of Robert Downey Jr diving away from exploding oil tankers in bullet-time.

:slow:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 10:50:17 AM »

See Arc, once someone has given a particular opinion it becomes passe and irrelevant.

Do you just not have time to read the posts you're responding to?  Or is SoraCross really contagious?

loading on example after example of how the surrounding film is a dry affair (outside of the performances) simply doesn't interest me as a writing exercise at the moment.

False choice.  A few examples would be fine.

It's a one off personal observation, made to be brief. If you wish to point out where my 'arcane', 'vague', and 'incomprehensible' text exactly is, it'd be helpful and I'd listen, as I legitimately don't see this in my messages.

Iron Man needn't have been unconventional when handling the origin. It just simply wouldn't have hurt to have pumped some life into the proceedings.

Once again, I don't see what you're trying to say here.  What's the difference between being unconventional and "pumping some life into the proceedings", given that you have said that, by the latter, you meant that it was too by-the-book, ie conventional?  You're drawing a distinction between these two things here, and I just don't see it.

At least the confusion over By The Book was a hoot.

I meant it less as "straight out of the comic" and more as "following the formula of most superhero movies".

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »

oh uh, to clarify my position: I thought both Arc's post and that article were perfectly understandable. I'm just morally opposed to umlaut abuse.
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 59