Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: Health Care Reform  (Read 36845 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Health Care Reform
« Reply #420 on: June 08, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »

PBS: Marcia Coyle runs down the issues at stake in the SCOTUS case, the possible ways the court can rule, and the impact such decisions will have.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 28, 2012, 06:07:54 AM »

ACA upheld in the Supreme Court

Republicans upheld the Republican mandate passed by Democrats. I guess it's good? Seems more like they just barricaded against single-payer to me.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #422 on: June 28, 2012, 06:49:44 AM »

Well, one Republican.  Roberts.  The other four dissented.

Interestingly, he rejected the commerce clause argument and said that the penalty qualifies as a tax.  I guess I can get behind that -- I still have a sort of gut opposition to the idea of the government forcing me to buy something from a private industry that happens to be corrupt as fuck, but when you start talking about taxes it becomes easier to remember that, oh yeah, the government already does that ALL THE TIME.

There's something in there about a narrow ruling on the Medicaid expansion but I haven't seen it parsed just yet.  Other'n that the whole thing seems to be pretty much upheld.  Which on the whole is a good thing.  My reservations about the mandate aside, it's the best option we've got right now and if it had been thrown out it might have been another generation before we had another shot at any kind of healthcare reform.  This, at least, is a start.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 28, 2012, 09:13:53 AM »

Interestingly, he rejected the commerce clause argument and said that the penalty qualifies as a tax.  I guess I can get behind that -- I still have a sort of gut opposition to the idea of the government forcing me to buy something from a private industry that happens to be corrupt as fuck, but when you start talking about taxes it becomes easier to remember that, oh yeah, the government already does that ALL THE TIME.

As I understand it, the ruling is basically "The Government can't force you to buy insurance, but that's not what they're doing here.  They're telling you to buy insurance, and taxing you differently if you don't.  Just like child tax credits aren't forcing you to have children."
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 28, 2012, 10:24:25 AM »

The supreme court also released their judgement on every republican congressman today:

Seriously though, at this point I'll fucking take it. Anything that brings down health care costs is 100% OK with me, and maybe once people realize how good the ACA is for America (in 2014, when it finally fucking takes fuck effect) it'll help establish a new power base and legitimacy for progressive policies.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 02, 2012, 07:48:04 AM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 02, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 02, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »

Pretty much any question beginning with "How" is a Gotcha.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 02, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »

Wow. I thought Fox was specifically designed to not have reporters who make a guy like McConnel sweat on national TV as he tries not to blurt out "fuck those people let them die must stop Obummer."

Can't even answer a simple question.

The current crisis of the GOP is that way too many of their policies are ending with "Well, fuck those people because we hate them" which is pretty hard to sound-bite when taken literally.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #429 on: July 02, 2012, 11:09:27 AM »

Pretty much any question beginning with "How" is a Gotcha.

Not sure if you're serious or not.

On the one hand, yeah, any question that deals with actual nuts-and-bolts policy is pretty much impossible to answer in a soundbite.

On the other, the Republicans have absolutely no fucking plan on how to insure 30 million people (or rather they do; it's the thing the Democrats passed) and that bears reminding people of at every possible opportunity.

If your slogan is going to be "Repeal and replace", you should really be prepared for someone to ask you "Replace with what?"

Wow. I thought Fox was specifically designed to not have reporters who make a guy like McConnel sweat on national TV as he tries not to blurt out "fuck those people let them die must stop Obummer."

Can't see the clip but Fox has like three guys who are actual reporters.  Was it Wallace, Baier, or Smith?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 02, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »

Er, yes, I was serious, but I was using Gotcha as a derogatory callback to "Gotcha Journalism".  I didn't actually mean it's a question that shouldn't be asked, I meant it's a question that the right considers inappropriate and underhanded.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 02, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »

"So, when you say replace the plan, how do you intend to replace it?" "HOW DARE YOU!"

I think our politicians are a little spoiled from the softball media we've had for the last ten years.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #432 on: July 03, 2012, 09:53:11 AM »

Fox Quote-Unquote-News:

At least 18 governors now say they are at least considering not expanding Medicaid -- effectively exploiting the one part of the ruling that came down in Republicans' favor. Previously, the law called on states to expand their Medicaid rolls and threatened to withhold money to those states that did not agree. The Supreme Court nixed that prescribed punishment, taking away the federal government's stick.

Aside from resisting the Medicaid expansion, several GOP governors have also said they will not move forward on creating so-called insurance exchanges. Those exchanges, set to go into effect in 2014, are meant to be the state-based marketplaces where strictly regulated insurance plans will be available for purchase.

States, though, have made little progress toward that call. According to a detailed list maintained by the Kaiser Family Foundation, just 15 states are in the process of setting them up.

In the wake of last Thursday's ruling, GOP-led states in particular are digging in their heels on both fronts.

No mention of Jan, but I imagine she'll follow the herd.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 04, 2012, 01:42:04 AM »

So let's see if I got the conservative line of thought straight.

"Under Obamacare, liberals will institute horrifying Death Panels where so-called medical experts decide who lives and who dies. We would never waste a cent of taxpayer money on such inane trifles, and would rather enable a simple, elegant, and inexpensive solution: death for everybody."

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 04, 2012, 07:49:34 AM »

Not everybody. Just the not poor enough for medicaid, but not well off enough to spend an extra 12k a year on coverage.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #435 on: July 04, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »

Plus we've got Republican governors now pushing to have people in their states pay taxes for other people's healthcare but not their own.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #436 on: October 03, 2012, 07:37:34 AM »

Reuters sheds some light on what Romney's actual healthcare policy specifics might be:

The former Massachusetts governor's advisers say he would accelerate the use of high-deductible insurance plans that offer lower premiums but require beneficiaries to pay thousands of dollars more in out-of-pocket expenses than they would face under conventional coverage.

Yeah, THAT sounds like a winner.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 05, 2013, 01:12:07 AM »

I can't fathom why this thread has lain fallow for more than a year, but

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/insurance-companies-misleading-letters-obamacare

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 18, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »

A Koch brothers-funded group threw a boozy tailgate party complete with beer pong to convince young people not to sign up for health insurance.

Yes, you read that right.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 18, 2013, 08:17:37 AM »

The expression on that Uncle Sam is beyond perfect.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22]