Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Feedback Thread  (Read 6268 times)

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback Thread
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »

I had a suspicion that people didn't want to enter the nethack competition because they were intimidated by pros like Esperath or myself ascending tourists and getting huge scores. I still have that suspicion, though to be honest if we'd had enough people we would have done seperate brackets so it shouldn't have mattered.

The game was a judged event, and someone who managed to get crushed by a rock placed third. I had this conversation with doom - any one of you could have made it to floor ten, died in some hilarious way, made a good story about it and potentially stole the gold. The event wasn't about bruteforcing a high score with pudding farming, or making it through gehennom as a tourist, it was about playing Nethack in as impressive a manner possible. If this means dual wielding warhammers to metal music and killing vlad by throwing vampire corpses at him, then so be it. Who cares if you just happen to be the easiest class and playing in the scummiest way.

I put the better part of 80 hours into my nethack ascension. This is because I was insistent on playing the hardest classes in the game - half of my attempts were at wishless/genoless conducts. But that's because I was trying to do things the hard way. The final game I played, the one where I did ascend, was something like 6 hours. What clinched my ascension wasn't a lucky wish, it was a single altar artifact - Mjollnir - and a decent AC. You practically start with both of these as a valkyrie. There was a 30 day stretch to do the event in, and there's no reason at least one person from each nation could have given it a real shot. What makes it especially dissapointing is that we had a dozen wow players and everyone on the boards enjoys diablo, so it's not like we're going incredibly out of genre here. I'd have expected this if Nethack was a rougelike football game.

Brett Favre throws the pass! Brett Favre hits! Brett Favre throws the pass! Brett Favre hits! You die...

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:14 AM »

I didn't try because I've yet to make it past the Gnomish Mines, let alone start building an ascension kit.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:49 AM »

Two of the entries were guys who died within 1-3 floors.

The Bronze entry only got seven levels down.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 11:05:32 AM »

I didn't try because I've yet to make it past the Gnomish Mines, let alone start building an ascension kit.

Making it to the gnomish mines, and dying in the gnomish mines, is at least trying, which is better than not bothering at all.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »

Then I'd have wasted time coming last. There are other, even less productive ways I could be spending my time.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 11:30:01 AM »

Well you see, I have a very convenient excuse that excuses me from even putting forth effort.

Oh, you mean if I had put forth any value of effort greater than zero, I'd have probably placed? Well, I clearly would have lost because it's easy to read the future in hindsight.

I hope you don't apply this line of thinking to your everyday life, JD.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 04:44:39 PM »

this is why there isn't a web based version of dragongame already

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »

Here's a bit of feedback for the sake of archivery:   Down the road should you choose your fantastic achievement undertaking, would you mind linking to the actual achievement taking place?   There are too many dogstar posts to figure out where he flopped out..

...That or the lurkers are just too lazy  ::(:

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »

Yeah I was gonna organize 'em like that. I didn't really feel like it tonight.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 06:25:24 PM »

Nah, that's cool. 

I totally mean down the road  in the case that you pull something this badass off again.  I don't really expect you to pull one or two hours just to link some images to events.

Trying to point to shit you've partially forgotten is a long and time-consuming process.  Better to nip it in the bud when you first introduce it down the road.

Otherwise people like me can always ask "WUT DID AINTEAR DUE LOL" on finalfight.   

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 06:41:17 PM »

He enjoyed losing and acting like Aintaer about it.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 03:40:25 AM »

Nah, that's cool. 

I totally mean down the road  in the case that you pull something this badass off again.  I don't really expect you to pull one or two hours just to link some images to events.

Trying to point to shit you've partially forgotten is a long and time-consuming process.  Better to nip it in the bud when you first introduce it down the road.

Otherwise people like me can always ask "WUT DID AINTEAR DUE LOL" on finalfight.   

Go look at Writing Contest 2.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »

Sorry about the lack of participation on my part. My mother had to go back into the hospital a bit over the last month (just got out the latest time on Sunday) so I was busier then hell a lot of the time. Also a little depressed about it so not into doing much more than killing people in tf2 most nights. Sorry about all of that, next year man!

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »

I'm just now realizing that if I had just joined two random events and jerked off, B.R.O.N.T.O would have taken first.

Though on the other hand, having it be that close and us having missed more events than the two leaders, just means we're that much more awesome.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2009, 12:13:45 AM »

Oh hey, the plebian third placers are talking again.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 07:24:55 AM »

Quote from: Rygaron
It turns out I'm a lazy sack of shit...

... but I'll play it off as being too cool for school.

IS THIS YOUR ENTIRE SHTICK NOW?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2009, 07:46:16 AM »

Except that Ryg didn't exactly succeed in part two and that it's not new nor "his," I think you've got the gist of it.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »

Doom, I had I lot of fun despite my spotty participation due to RL distractions and look forward to next time, especially if you're running it! Let the naysayers go fuck themselves, imo
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »

I'm just now realizing that if I had just joined two random events and jerked off, B.R.O.N.T.O would have taken first.

Though on the other hand, having it be that close and us having missed more events than the two leaders, just means we're that much more awesome.

And if the ogres had bothered to form a nation instead of wanting to save themselves the five seconds effort involved, they'd have beat you as well as us.

So you're equally pathetic.
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »

hey rygaron where is more lp mischief makers
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat
Pages: 1 [2] 3