Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Aion  (Read 1171 times)

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Aion
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:26:58 PM »

I kind of want to play this now that I've heard it has a fairly robust crafting system and I could possibly get the Macroecon Metagame experience I love so, so well from a game other than Final Fantasy "set aside your entire day for me or else have fun sticking a katana into a rabbit for the rest of your life" XI.

Convince me otherwise.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Aion
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 03:44:45 PM »

All it takes to turn me away from a game like this is the monthly fee.
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »

I'm poor or I don't understand how to convert time is money into replay value.

Thanks for the meaningful input.

P. Birdy: Care to describe? I.e. why you can't just go mogul the WoW market or something compared to the Aion experience.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:58:16 PM »

I have repeatedly heard that this game is Lineage II with prettier graphics and a friendlier UI. So, I'm honestly with Dooly on this. Paying 15 dollars for a game does not upset me, it's the whole 'korean grindfest I can get for free from 30 other companies' thing.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:03:24 PM »

Quote from: SA Aion Megathread
Distinctive Features
While Aion has justifiably been labeled as a WoW-clone, it is important to understand what sets it apart.

* PvP Endgame - Aion begins encouraging PvP at level 25 through the use of rifts which semi-randomly connect players or groups of players directly to opposing faction zones, allowing them beat the opposing faction up to their heart's content. After completing a certain level 25 quest, players can also visit The Abyss, the centerpiece of Aion's PvP both figuratively and literally. This huge expanse of floating debris and islands is packed with captureable castles and rifts to it are open almost constantly. The Abyss is the source of some of the best rewards in the game and constantly encourages players to capture parts of it for their faction. Resources are easily gathered from the areas around the castles, which means both player and NPC crafters will love you for capturing them. The guild that captures a castle gains taxes from their use and their faction will love them since holding those fortresses lets them get to certain items, resources and rifts not otherwise accessible. The Abyss is also a good spot for leveling so all the people still leveling can grind space crabs to their heart's content.

Besides the Abyss, PvP action can be found in your opponent's lands; the end goal of both factions is to shatter the stump of the Tower of Eternity on the other faction's half of the planet, and of course city raiding is in and gives the best rewards in the game. With rifts constantly opening and closing between the halves of the world, a huge part of Aion is popping over the opposing faction's lands and ruining someone's afternoon.

* PvPvE Endgame (Competitive Instances) - A new twist on dungeon grinding is the ability to play in the same instance as an opposing faction. Each PvE mob you kill yields your team points which result in rewards at the end of the instance. Groups can also move away from the mob path in order to intersect and fight the enemy, stopping them in their tracks and giving your team time to work unmolested on the PvE of the instance.

* Combo Combat - To be explained further, combat is mostly delivered from combo moves, where one skill enables another. For example, a backstab move (when successful) enables a "Deep Backstab" skill. This "Level 2" skill normally does more damage, and is similar in nature. This system is unique because some skills can have up to three different "Level 2" choices to choose from. A Snipe Arrow can open up a chain to deal another heavy damage shot, or a Damage Over Time poison, or a low damage interrupt/slow arrow. These decisions open up even further later on in the game when Level 3 and 4 spells are available.

Sounds pretty cool to be honest! Like Castle Stealing in Ragnarok except the server-owners don't throw a fit and take the server down forever when you kick their asses.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 04:06:07 PM »

I'm poor or I don't understand how to convert time is money into replay value.

Thanks for the meaningful input.

P. Birdy: Care to describe? I.e. why you can't just go mogul the WoW market or something compared to the Aion experience.

I am not going to go into much detail here unless provoked (I will tell you on IM if you want!!!!!) but WoW is not set up in a way that at all hinders a limit of supply, so the "economics" come down to being a commodities-market day-trader through Auctioneer.  FFXI's market has a lot more to it since crafting is more labor-intensive, environmental factors will increase demand for raw materials at pre-determined times, material scarcity is enough to matter, and the goods ultimately created have real value.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »

My friends had planned on getting Aion but now they seem to have changed their mind.  I really enjoyed xi with them but without a group to play with I doubt I'll play Aion.  I've been having fun making cute girlies though.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »

No.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »

u

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »

I rather love the crafting system. I'm rocking a Spiritmaster right now though I am thinking of switching to Sorceror.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »

Played the open beta. It's very pretty, and I have no real problems with it... but I won't be jumping ship from Azeroth to play it, and I've only got room for one loveless timesink in my life.

I will be playing FFIX, though  :whoops:

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 01:01:55 AM »

From what I can tell there are black winged angels, white winged angels, and one winged angels. No thanks.

Pacobird

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Pull-kill-loot
Pull-kill-loot