Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 41459 times)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Dragon Age: Origins
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:54:09 PM »

I was very dubious about this game. I was always frustrated by the first Baldur's Gate, and I never played the sequels, so the only great RPGs I have played from Bioware are KotOR and Mass Effect. Turns out I had no reason to worry at all. There's too much detail for me to get in to here as to why it is so good, but suffice it to say that if you enjoy western style RPGs, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to miss this one.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:02:07 PM »

Is this thing co-op?

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »

No, purely a single player experience. However, if you enjoyed Mass Effect, or KotOR, or really any strong, purely single player western RPG, then you will enjoy this. It is very much from the tradition of Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment in terms of how you control your character and party. You can pause at any time with the space bar, queue up actions for each part member, etc. In edition to this they've implemented a tactics systems where you can teak the automatic behavior of your party members to a pretty ridiculous level of detail. For instance. Do you want your two-hand DPS specialized warrior to automatically use his aggro reducing ability when he's attacked in melee? You can set his tactics to do just that. In fact, you can set your party members to do anything they are capable of doing under almost any circumstance you can imagine occurring within combat, all automatically, and prioritized (ie tactic 1 is of more priority than tactic 2, and so on up to 4).

This gives you a lot of leeway to let battles play out automatically if things are going well, or to take a direct hand if you want something specific to happen. If you're playing on PC, you can even scroll back to the old isometric tactical view from those legacy games I mentioned. This feature isn't strictly necessary, but it can be helpful at times.

Bleck

• Tailor Made Squid Unicycles
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 06:59:51 PM »

I enjoyed Mass Effect and KOTOR... but I'm not really liking this game as much so far. Maybe I haven't spent enough time with it, yet.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:07:48 PM »

I'm probably going to get this eventually, but not right now. I don't have a lot of money right now, and I'd rather save up for Mass Effect 2.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:03:45 PM »

I like it a lot, and it's remarkably similar to baldur's gate etc. I love that the game lets you keep every character in your party (you decide which are actually in use with a chrono cross style system), because one thing I hated in the old infinity engine games was having to leave someone behind. The combat's difficulty curve is somewhat wonky, with some fights against a horde of dudes being basically trivial but if there's like 2 mages it's easy to get fucked up.

My dwarf character sparkles due to a magic item he's wearing, which for some reason doesn't go away when you are undressed. This means that when I had gay sex with an elf, it was EVEN gayer.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:33:07 AM »

Yeah, I have essentially zero issues with this game right now. When the biggest complaints are "It's not as good as Baldur's Gate 2", "It's too much like the LOTR movies", "It's too much like A Song Of Ice And Fire", "The console ports are lousy", and "Bioware has shitty writing".... well, that kind of speaks for itself.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 01:03:35 AM »

The sacrifices made to the advanced console users are saddening. There doesn't seem to be a way to pause and issue commands to all of my party members, nor is there a command queue longer than one.

On the other hand, I've got the noble captain murderface gutting shems like no one's business.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 04:50:03 AM »

I'd like to give Bioware a big high five for not including any overt morality system of any kind in this game, and an added chest thump for there really being no absolutely good decisions, or "right" way out of every situation. Sure, there are side quests where you can kick the puppy or pat it on the head, but nothing pops up telling you it's evil to kick the puppy. The only feedback you get is from your party members, who, based on their own morality, either like or dislike you more because of your actions.

I actually like this system for a lot of reasons. Not only does it give you real time feedback on your actions in an organic way (rather than 50 Darkside Points Earned), but if you happen to like a particular character, the game pays you off for getting chummy with them by giving them special skills if they respect your leadership sufficiently. Conversely, someone whom you've completely alienated will eventually up and leave in disgust.

Everything in this world is shades of grey (no pun intended), and it reads pitch perfect most of the time.
There doesn't seem to be a way to pause and issue commands to all of my party members, nor is there a command queue longer than one.

You can pause at any time with the space bar, queue up actions for each party member, etc.

If you're playing on PC, you can even scroll back to the old isometric tactical view from those legacy games I mentioned.

It's even the same button.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 06:43:06 AM »

I'm playing on a sibling's X-Box, not a proper PC.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »

Yeah, I have essentially zero issues with this game right now. When the biggest complaints are "It's not as good as Baldur's Gate 2", "It's too much like the LOTR movies", "It's too much like A Song Of Ice And Fire", "The console ports are lousy", and "Bioware has shitty writing".... well, that kind of speaks for itself.

The complaints I've been hearing are more along the lines of "It's pathetically unoriginal, ripping shit off from everywhere" and "Crippling mechanical problems are put in intentionally, to give you an incentive to buy the DLC that fixes them".
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 09:53:31 AM »

What, the inventory storage thing? That's a conspiracy theory. And I think "crippling" may be overstating it in the first place.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »

I'm having trouble figuring out what character I actually want to play as... Mystic Warrior-Mage? A champion Fighter? A duelist-assassin rogue, unique in that he doesn't contribute hideous buffs for the party?

Also, that article reminds me that I have to use the phrase, "filthy lucre" more often.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 01:40:01 PM »

Playing elf mage.  Apparently if you set up your profile on the bioware social site for it, Burrito can stalk every last leg of your journey as you play.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 02:39:12 PM »

I'm running a rogue on my first playthrough and a bit worried about the amount of skill points I'd have to split between combat and utility.

Observations:
1) With only one rank in poisons, I can still use the higher level poisons/grenades made by other party members.
2) Using Cheat Engine to give yourself more inventory slots is simple enough.

Complaints:
1) It might be easy for new players to gimp themselves (in the late game).

1a) All of the ability descriptions are qualitative, not quantitative.
e.g.
"Disorient...making the target a less effective combatant by inflicting penalties to attack and defense." / "Weakness...inflicting penalties to attack and defense."
"Whenever a backstab deals enough damage, the assassin’s foe is riddled with bleeding wounds that inflict additional damage for a short time." (Doesn't say how much bleeding damage it contributes, either.)
Solution?  Save.  Preview ability in a fight or two.  Figure out if it's worth a shit.
Note: I'm finding it hard to gauge the efficacy of atk/def buffs and debuffs.

1b) There are gotchas.
believe me, daggers don't really cut it in mid-endgame due to their limited attribute modifier potential
If you should have 100 points (extreme example) of bonus damage from some combination of dex and strength or cunning, 15 of those points get thrown out due to the multiplier on daggers.  Table here.  In the release build, daggers are fucked up and only benefit from strength (or cunning if you have lethality) unless you download an easily appliable hotfix.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »

do you get auto-attacked out of etc

but seriously you haven't learned not to roll rogues yet, the fuck is wrong with you

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »

people min/max in single player RPGs?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 03:53:52 PM »

Fallout (2).

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »

well they sure don't in MMOs

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 04:54:05 PM »

A lot of single player RPGs are hard enough to warrant it, particularly western ones.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31