Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Retronauts Mark II  (Read 8993 times)

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Retronauts Mark II
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »

Wild Arms lasted into the first random battle, and then it was back into the rental case. A grand trick of hype and lacking selection, nothing more. Haven't experienced any others in the series since, but WA3 had a spunky enough style about itself to possibly checkout, maybe, yes?

3 is still my favorite. The western style is much stronger and more defined than in the first two, in large part because it completely does away with its predecessors' medieval elements, which I thought were kind of weak and out of place. The random encounter system, or rather, the random encounter avoidance system, is clever and refreshing, and the battles themselves, while not revolutionary, have decent strategic elements to them. Plus the characters are likeable and somewhat unusual. It took me a while to realize that Gallows, the buff Indian guy with a sawed-off shotgun and immense HP, is actually the mage of the party.

Wild Arms 3 is my favorite in the series, as well. It still has its flaws, though: the last chapter of the game is basically unnecessary and drags the game on a bit too long, and during the entire game you fight the same two or three groups of enemies several times. I'd have rather fought another giant monster with a unique battle strategy than fight was is essentially the same battle over and over.

Also, while I love the concept that each character uses guns -- it leads to stuff like Zed mentioned, with the buff guy being the mage and the older, nerdy guy being the heavy damage dealer -- the gun upgrade system was kind of weird. It wasn't until the end of my first playthrough that I learned the "proper" way to do it. Luckily, you can reset your alterations, but then you have to purchase all new ones... and it gets really, really expensive.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 08:28:26 PM »

I miss Funcoland. The clerk there also recommended

Is Funcoland the new candleja

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 02:12:03 AM »

Huh, that's funny.  Kayma ran off before he could finish giving us the name of the mysterious stranger who only takes you away IF YOU SAY HIS FUCKING NAME, NOT CUTS YOU OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF SAYING IT.  :fail:
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Roger

• Waiting for the next Smash Bros is the Pits
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 04:02:30 AM »

Mm, 1997.  My first time playing Mario 64.  As a Nintendo raised (and SNES playing at friend's house) kid, my socks were knocked.  It was sex.  Buttered, buttered sex to my sheltered life.

And then a year later my mother bought Parasite Eve because a commercial showed a totally awesome SOMETHING and she had to own it.  Oh Squaresoft, would we find out years later that your style of commercial would never change.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 08:44:01 AM »

Huh, that's funny.  Kayma ran off before he could finish giving us the name of the mysterious stranger who only takes you away IF YOU SAY HIS FUCKING NAME, NOT CUTS YOU OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF SAYING IT.  :fail:

Well see, the joke was that Funcoland was the new candlejack, meaning that if  I just sa

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »

pation.

S D S

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shawn Struck
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 10:55:01 AM »

Blooody hell, sorry about that; it looked fine in preview.

Anyhow a clerk also recommended Suikoden, another series I've enjoyed to this day (at least, the three I've played).

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 09:12:09 PM »

:serious: SEGA SAHTON!

------------------------------------------------------

EDIT EDIT: And now the 01/31/08 cast is gone altogether. Download Here

------------------------------------------------------

This was a furious cast. Milkman & Shane. No wonder Sharkey & Kennedy could barely get in a word. :smile:

For as much junk as I've given Parish on past podcasts, I've got to give props, in that he is a master of working as a central arbiter and keeping issues on topic (Futurenauts, indeed). Everyone's new positions sound exciting, and if Jeremy is the one responsible for 'expanding possibilities', then here's a suggestion: Break into the lucrative news blog market and pillage for all it's worth. BUT ANYWAYS.

My experience with the Saturn came dangerously late, around the time the Dreamcast was set for launch. A friend had confiscated a gorgeous pearly white Japanese system, and Magic Knight Rayearth was the first to be loaded up. Honestly, Grandia aside, what I expected to be a role-playing powerhouse turned out to be about as equal to the previous Sega systems in selection on that front.

The Saturn was an odd duck, through and through. It was positioned to be a unit that kicked Nintendo's reliance of old media standards to the curb, and then Sony came around in their infamous press conference, and everything changed. They weren't playing by the rules, dammit (a playbook written by Sega, which consisted of endless hardware launches and forgetting valuable franchises with each generation).

The 32X had fooled about as many customers as the Virtual Boy, and finding anything outside of Virtua Cop & Daytona USA on the shelves was a miracle in itself. Don't remember Arcade-Perfect-Ports being such an issue, as much as actual selection. By the time they were pushing Sonic 3D Blast as their premiere holiday title of '96, it was all over. The awkward timing of NiGHTS with the 3D controller just as Mario 64 launched came off as more Sega hardware pushing, whereas the subtle dual shock release nearly two years later was perceived as almost classy on Sony's part.

As much as we can appreciate them now, the library selection for the Saturn was (appropriately) alien. Dark Saviour was the Synchronicity II music video come alive. Astal a Jim Henson nightmare unleashed. Fighting Vipers the neofetishism thread ahead of its time. Hell, GameFan had to review DarkStalkers TWICE due to the framerate unlock. O_o

Sexy Parodius, Sakura Taisen, and a boatload of noody puzzlers were never going to give them the edge in America (although Microsoft might want to look into that market for Japan, seems like a profitable void now). The Gundam titles were as impressive as that Godzilla on the NES, Super Tempo (while a nice gameplay successor to Little Nemo) was post-Bubsy et al, and Best Soundtrack Ever Or Not, ThunderForce was never to be a premiere title.

Was nearly ashamed to discover :serious: & years too late, but how can anyone on this side of the Pacific be faulted? If we were to be inundated by a dragon game, it would by All-Ages Spyro, not Panzer dammit it all. Could backwards compatibility have kept Sega in the game? By that point, no. The perception of gaming was all but morphed into something else by the time Core / Crystal Dynamics / Eidos crash landed. Which brings me to a salient point: The Dreamcast proved that the Saturn would never have conquered.

The Dreamcast fired on all cylinders. It brought back all the favorite franchises (save for two hip hopping aliens), published numerous Nipponcentric titles domestically, had plentiful shelf space, astounding reviews & coverage, and didn't rely on continual system upgrades. It still faded away, Shenmue being Sega's Final Fantasy: The Spirit's Within or not. The gamer demographic had shifted, and it did so during the Saturn generation.

Not to come off as a depressing blob, I'd agree that Capcom rocked the box like no other. Despite what is said in the cast, Resident Evil for the Saturn was superior to the PSX in many aspects, just not the Director's Cut. They even brought the Dungeons & Dragons brawlers home in one collection. Now that was true love.

To finish, Virtual On not mentioned until 48 minutes in was a minor crime, the Outrun & Dragoon remakes are freakish, the greatest instance of lost source code has to be Final Fantasy 3 (you all know it to be true!), props to Hybrid Heaven props, REZ & Space Channel 5 both came my way by Dirty Santa (much love, much love), and, uh, Shane can keep that MGS2 distinction.

Current Virtual Console Count:
North America: 197
Europe: 183
Australia: 184
Japan: 260 (Master System & Gamegear coming this month)

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 01:07:30 AM »

This podcast reminded me that I need to actually get a battery for my Japanese Saturn and to, actually, make it two just in case.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Lobst

• Apatosaur Dreamer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Chili Con Comrades
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »

The enthusiasm with which the crew talks about imported games for the episode's console of choice is resounding; one of these days I either have to buy a Japanese Saturn or chip my American one.  Keio Yugekitai had sounded spectacular to me ever since the Toastyfrog 2D article about it years and years ago, and the cries of "Eh, it's good but not great" are only serving to make it look like a more memorable experience.

Quote from: Arc
Virtual On not mentioned until 48 minutes in was a minor crime

Burning Rangers not being mentioned at all was a... uh...

Well, actually, the game itself isn't that great.  But it had charisma, damn it!  :rage:

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »

I wouldn't mind the "you didn't mentions" if they were phrased as "It wasn't mentioned in the podcast, but <some game that we probably love but for whatever reason didn't talk about> is <informative post about game>" as opposed to "You stupid fuck, you should be fired for your ignorance of BEST FUCKING GAME EVER." That doesn't happen here so much, but everywhere else? Yeah, those feel like half the posts sometimes. I think it's more the general eagerness to prove worth by catching someone fucking up that plagues the whole internet. It's fine when someone actually has fucked up, but most of the time it's just a few people exposing their lack of reading comprehension and a whole bunch of others jumping on without thinking for themselves.

Anyway, in the course of tackling such broad topics as an entire year, system, or genre in an hour or two a lot of things will be skipped over. Those broad topics make for some of the most interesting conversation, though.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 09:27:46 PM »

Face it, you're terrible at your job, and it's time to move over for someone more knowledgeable. :sarcasm:

Time to give this 'ssgogeta' (actual 1UP username) kid a chance.

parish

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2008, 09:31:05 PM »

Actually my favorite bit of fallout from this episode is all the kids who have angrily emailed / message / posted to tell me how retarded we are because jeezus saturn emulation is REAL guys there's this thing called SSF and you stupid hacks should have researched before opening your dumbfuck mouths god i am so sick of you useless 'retronauts' more like retro-nots lol amirite

I think it's four, maybe five so far.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSF_(emulator)

Quote from: wiki
Minimum System Requirements
Pentium 4 - 3.0GHz or Athlon64 3000+    
Recommended - Core 2 Duo or Athlon64 X2

Smashing.  :sarcasm:

Retro-Nots would make for a nice cyber cafe name, complete with mascot lolamirite-tan.

Time for me to load up the Street Fighter cast for the interval.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2008, 10:41:02 PM »

Quote from: wiki
Minimum System Requirements
Pentium 4 - 3.0GHz or Athlon64 3000+    
Recommended - Core 2 Duo or Athlon64 X2

Clearly I'm a fucking idiot for positing that this might be implausible for console emulation or gametap/whateverthefuck. Thank you for doing the research that I'm far too much of an idiot to have done myself despite the fact that I'm a fucking cheapskate who steals anything available at every opportunity. I'll just nip off and cut myself a bunch while masturbating and thinking about my mother and how she didn't love me.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2008, 11:05:30 PM »

this might be implausible for console emulation or gametap/whateverthefuck.

Er, I think that was Arc's point?

Or maybe you got that and I'M just missing the point.  I am very tired right now and should probably go to bed.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »

Er, I think that was Arc's point?

Correcto mundo.

:omg: Crysis has lower processor requirements!

Whatever the case, this is an opportune time to liberally sprinkle the new sarcasm emote onto my posts here and elsewhere!

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 12:06:54 AM »

:up: :down: :up: :down: :left: :right: :left: :right: :ifuckinggotit:

I'd recommend an appropriate :ifuckinggotit: icon, but a quick image search for tit, go tit, got it, and tit brings up a lot of birds and Janet Jackson.

Against all odds, this is the first result for "fucking tit"

parish

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 08:28:02 AM »

They do have a whiff of avian buggery about them, you have to admit.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2008, 09:24:13 PM »

Behold, parts III, IV, & (Blaster) V !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAK5DDNF3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V49Oe2nxmR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP9iwvBDhbA

Found while searching for the Rainbow Edition mentioned in the Street Fighter podcast.

:serious: Still more true to canon than 2010.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4