Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: Mongrel's Wargame Terrain (and figures)  (Read 17550 times)

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame Terrain
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2011, 03:16:20 AM »

Man, mongrel, you are like, epic buildy man!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Mongrel's Wargame Terrain (and figures)
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »

Haven't built anything in a while. Been painting. Mage Knight is all prepainted of course, but while many figures are okay (and can even be cleaned and repainted) some are an outright horror, with godawful misshapen sculpts. Thankfully the worst offenders are a minority. My long term plan is to replace all the really awful figures (or the merely mediocre ones for figures I like a lot or play heavily), with nice minis stolen from various other lines.

I last painted minis many years ago, so I started easy enough, using acetone to strip nice sculpts and repainting them as best I could. This was a good example - he's easy to work with since he's bigger than most existing minis and is a snarly dragon, so small errors mattered less (this sculpt is probably one of my very favourite of the MK minis and is very nice with fine detail once you strip the glopped-on paint off).

I started actually basing metal slotta minis on MK bases. This was an adventure! Cutting slots in the clix dials and grinding down the slotta tab so it's only maybe 1.5 mm deep.

This one I did about two months ago. It was the second mini I'd really done anything with (haven't bothered with pics of the first).

Then, doing my next minis, I discovered that yes, those ink washes actually are useful after all, and oh wow what an improvement.

An old unit of six shadow warriors becomes a set of non-unique Bowmen, plus two uniques heroes of the same mold.

Obligatory cleric chick. FYI, the board is resizing this image (on my browser, this is the only pic in this post that's being resized, so that's why I'm mentioning it specifically).

Finally, a random border-captain. Trying some actual freehand stuff.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »

You should show some of the original base set plastic sculpts in comparison so everyone can see the horror.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2011, 08:11:48 PM »

I was thinking of doing that, but there aren't any online figure databases.

EDIT: Oh, well, T&T has their online store.

The Red Duchess used to look like this.
The archers used to look like this. The image doesn't show you the full horror though: That mess is a 40mm figure in a 30mm game.
The cleric looked this.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »

Proxy for a figure that was issued after the game was disontinued (which is why there's no "this is the ugly misshapen lump I'm replacing" pic). They're basically impossible to get and when they do show up on ebay they're like $100. Fuck that - if I'm replacing figures anyway, I'm not paying $100 for a clix dial!

Slight mod... she had a crossbow and was holding arrows before. Carved a rapier and dagger from sprue plastic. Not a fantastic job, but it'll do.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2011, 10:53:55 AM »

:o

Did you paint it yourself? It looks great!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2011, 10:59:22 AM »

T'was me. It's an improvement on my previous figures, but not a huge one, I think.

What's really better is the pictures. I'm trying to play around and find better ways to take photos of my stuff without actually going to the trouble of building a lightbox.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »

Take two or three sheets of printer paper.  Not exactly a lightbox, but helps with photo-taking.  When you get money to burn, grab one of these lightbox kits.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »

Printer paper is what's behind the figure, I'm just angling down a bit.

Here's a couple of sloppy repair dorks I did too.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2011, 12:42:04 PM »

More stuff!

I made some wheatfields from doormat and MDF (hardboard). Started by cutting bases and gluing on chunks of mat cut to fit.

Then I added my standard wall compound ground texture.

Painted & flocked:

Hey, what's that thingy in the field?

Before painting.

I also rebuilt a figure I'd cobbled together from Mage Knight bits. I actually liked the way the figure looked, it's just that the figure's supposed to be a dwarf, but was actually as tall as large men, while still being dwarf-proportioned. Which made him kind of look silly.

Here's the "before" version:

So I ripped him apart and rebuilt him from the ground up, this time trying to do it properly. I shaved off the shoulder joints, excess height and pared things down where I could. This time I actually epoxied and pinned the bits instead of just comically mashing them together with a glue gun. Then I added several new parts and actually tried greenstuff sculpting:

Finished and repainted him (now dwarf-sized!). Wasn't able to do too great a job since ultimately I was still using chopped up Mage Knight bits under all that, but it's a big improvement over the first version (NOTE: This is the only image in this post that the board is auto-shrinking. You can click to enlarge a bit). 

Note that I also tried to do a tattoo, which was another first for me. It's supposed to be a pair of crossed pistols, which are his faction symbol (you can see it on the base).

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »

More stuff!

I made some wheatfields from doormat and MDF (hardboard). Started by cutting bases and gluing on chunks of mat cut to fit.

Then I added my standard wall compound ground texture.

Painted & flocked:

Hey, what's that thingy in the field?

Before painting.

Now I just want to make a tabletop X-Com game.

That scarecrow came out pretty bitchin'

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »

You work serious magic with those mageknight figures. I'm pretty jealous of that ability.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »

Now I just want to make a tabletop X-Com game.

Oh man, you're totally right. I just realized how much these look exactly like those X-Com wheat fields. :lol:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »

This is why I wanna come live with you and Starr.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »

I cannot believe you are putting this much time and effort into MAGE KNIGHT.  I loved the game when it was slightly popular, I was even a Judge for a time.  But to have this kind of dedication is OCD, a real love for the game, and/or a sign of dementia.  That said you're doing fantastic work.  That remodel on the dwarf hand was top notch.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2011, 08:43:50 PM »

Weeeeelllll, two things.

1) If I quit Mage Knight tomorrow, all my terrain is still just as usable for Warmahordes, WFB, any historical wargames from roughly 750 AD to 1850 AD, or whatever. Okay, sure, not so much with 40k, Infinity, or goofy stuff like Dystopian Wars, but you get the idea.

2) I already have the Mage Knight. Playing something else means BUYING something else. Once you take into account the new rules to learn and also the fact that I would HAVE to paint it, instead of that just being optional. Well, that's more like work than fun.

I will close by quoting my comments in Defenstration's thread:

That's what I really like about Mage Knight. Yes, it's a dead game and finding players is impossible, but I have a large enough collection (nearly complete) that I can provide armies for anyone playing and don't have to worry about ever picking up product again. Its really simple, you can teach damn near anyone to play (we called it "Warhammer for Dummies"), and it's very intuitive. The only real arguments are related to position and measuring and there's a relatively simple solution that prevents those (declaring intent on placement).

The real fun is that I can now customize things however I want. The dials mean the stats don't change and are always clear, so I can use whatever figures I like, painted however I want, so long as I want to do the work. The existing figures are prepainted, so if I don't care enough about a figure to bother modding it, I don't have to. The game being discontinued means the figures are dirt cheap (though if you were to start now, many of the figures are hard to find, so I can't really suggest it for other people) and I don't ever have to pay attention to a product release again!

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »

I've seen Mongrel's collection of Mage Knight. It rivals his collection of magic cards.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2011, 09:45:58 PM »

Isn't a fair chunk of that my old collection anyway? I forget who I shipped that to.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »

Your stuff did come to me, but it's a small part of what I've got.

I've seen Mongrel's collection of Mage Knight. It rivals his collection of magic cards.

Only if you're talking physical size rather than monetary value.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »

Don't you also have my MTG cards?  My god, any game I quit goes to Canada.....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8