Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Mongrel's Wargame Terrain (and figures)  (Read 17551 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Mongrel's Wargame Terrain (and figures)
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:57:43 PM »

I MAKE SOME STUFF. PUT LITTLE PLASTIC GUYS AROUND. PEW PEW PEW. WELL MORE LIKE CLANG BLANGG.

Apologies for the totally shit nature of the pictures. My camera is 7 years old and is complete garbage for taking macro shots. Or any other kind of picture for that matter.

First, we have a haystack (actually, I made this most recently). A painted dome of spackle, suitably dressed with hay (cheap gesso brush bristles, mildly trimmed to fit). Simple stuff.

A little cart, filled with chopped trees. Hey, let's actually add a quarter so people have some idea of scale - now there's a wild idea! Pretty much just wood and glue, with a little cheap acrylic used for weatherstaining.

How aboutsome friggin' buildings, dammit? Here, have a farmer's thatched cot.

This fancier cot has a gabled door and a stone foundation. Stone texture obtained from a railroad hobby store and worth EVERY DAMNED PENNY IT'S AWESOME. Also, note the chicken coop. Bawk-bawk-bukakke!

Shit, you think they got indoor plumbing in those cottages?

I stuck all the crap so far on a table and called it a village. YEAH.

Lumber is handcut, from coffee stirsticks and the occasional traditional popsicle stick. Interior framework is foamcore quickly painted black, with recesses to make doors/windows look better. Thatch is scouring pad carefully wash-dyed several times (that shit takes forever to dry out). Bases are masonite covered with spackling, then painted.

Yes, I will eventually add a little grass flock and shrubbery here and there.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: There does not appear to be a thread about wargame terrain
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:04 PM »

I like.  That's pretty nifty detail. 

I would go as far to call it art for the tourists.  Might even fetch a cool dime on the Kingston, or Ottawa's open markets.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: There does not appear to be a thread about wargame terrain
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »

That's pretty cool.  You should consider some How-To tutorials.  I don't play much wargame stuff, but I've always found the creation of the terrain fun.  Also I have a secret love for miniature villages.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame Terrain
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 08:35:42 PM »

I got a band of 25mm Amish guys to help me raise a barn.

This time I got all SOOPER-fancy, so that units can fight inside!

There's a tiny hay trough, pitchfork and rope coil inside the barn as ornaments (that pitchfork was a fuckin' bitch to make, but so satisfying to pull off). And yes, those hinges are fully functional. The hinges were a bitch too - all those little nails had to be pressed in by hand, after drilling all the nail holes (to prevent the wood from splitting), then when that didn't hold strong enough, I had to take everything off and epoxy it all.

The backdoor is stuck in that half-open position though [/innuendo].

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 06:33:20 PM »

Time for an update I suppose?

Some fences and fields I made to vary the terrain for game purposes (building are nice, but they're effectively big bricks unless you makes them interactive or whatever), so here are some fences (low walls) and farmer's fields (hindering terrain).

The fields were a colossal bitch. I essentially took corrugated cardboard and did wash after wash of watered-down plaster/spackle, 'imbuing' it with plaster until it was stiff and strong enough to stand up to heavy use. The cardboard kept warping and faling apart. I had to carefully balance my attempts to refine previous coats with the spackle's tendency to warp the piece. FUN!

Next was a pair of watchtowers. They're dead sexy, but oh god, I'm not making anything of such loose construction again (these finished forms are as about as strong as could be reasonably expected).

Finally, here's particularly awesome idea Starr had: an Asterix-style round "gaulish" hut. This one happens to be the home of a beekeeper. The round brick base is actually lots of very carefully joined short segments of the flat stone texture sheets I have (turned out really nice).

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 07:53:35 PM »

Ah, the classic "Achieve victory points by seizing the most beekeeper huts" scenario. One we've all played many times before.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 08:03:39 PM »

Stand strong, Brothers! The Apostles of Nurgle will crest the hill in mere moments, and we know that they hunger for new strains of insect to deliver vile plagues from! May the Emperor guide our blows!

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 08:05:33 PM »

Slaanesh needs honey.

I don't think we need to discuss why.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 08:07:13 PM »

DELISHUS HUNNY

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 10:59:22 PM »

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
D:

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »

These sure are better than fighting in the fields of broken styrofoam objects and coke cans.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 09:33:32 AM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »

That's AWESOME.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »

I was talking with a friend and he says the paint scheme is a good analogy.  He says they're spot on for Japanese hornets, which are capable of fighting entire beehives, decapitating most of them.

Not so sure about the part where they eat the young.  I don't think space marines do that.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 08:07:42 PM »

It's the return of my terrible camera!

First, a Granary/Warehouse/Depot thing. The ceiling of the lower floor is high enough for taller units or cavalry. It has no moveable parts, but it looks nice anyway.

Here are some details, a better look at the under area (a semi-enclosed area theoretically for large dry cargo that can be used as a defensive breastworks), a demonstration of modelling OCD at work (the floor portals showing a theoretical hatchway and cargo-lowering area), and a better look at the upper loft doors and block and tackle.

What fantasy town is complete without a scaffold? HANG 'EM HIGH!

Finally, the smith's which only took about a hundred thousand years to complete. Here's an overview of the forge and workshop (the workshop has a removable roof). 

And some details of the forge.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 04:20:36 AM »

I'm telling you, you need to make a chicken leg hut! Where else is Baba Yaga gonna sleep?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 09:44:58 AM »

The detail and weathering on these items are pretty fucking fantastic quality.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 10:30:33 AM »

I just love the coal bunker.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »

Gah. I always love wargame terrain. I've always wanted to make some but since I don't play any games, it'd be rather silly. And starting to play an incredibly expensive wargame with no one around me that plays just so I can make little models of huts once a month is a bad idea as well.

But I still love looking at it. And Mongrel does some of the best work I've seen.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »

Same goes with me. I'm really the only person who'd ever see my lovingly crafted terrain pieces so I don't bother Wait, that's terrible. Actually, I think it comes down to not having enough space or time to work on them. That and I have a backlog of minis I'd feel guilty of neglecting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8