Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Podbloggingcastingdiary  (Read 1343 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Podbloggingcastingdiary
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »

So recently at work I've been listening to podcasts on my headphones while doing whatever it is I need to do.  This has been great, as it breaks up the repetition of my music and is often full of fun stories, bits of news and science, and often times just makes the day go faster.  But I feel my choices are rather limited right now, as I pretty much just listen to Retronauts and a ton of NPR podcasts, like This American Life, Science Friday, Sound Opinions and Radiolab.  I want more, and I want good choices.  Stuff that appeals to my thirst for news, music reviews and science.

I've also been filling out my Google reader list with stuff.  I tend to shoot between politics, webcomics (that have RSS feeds), art blogs (both how-to and just general image dumps) and how-to blogs.  I'm on the hunt for more, though.  As mentioned, I love general art blogs and stuff about DIY or other tech junk.

A few of my favorite recommendations:

Abduzeedo - An art blog that includes links to inspiration, tutorials and resources.
Lifehacker - A kind of how-to blog, about changing daily stuff in your life as well as organizing your work and other things.
Ektopia - A daily art blog, with a heavy focus on street-art as well as the big-eyed girl genre.
Think Progress - Liberal news and analysis.
DIYPhotography - An at home photography DIY blog.  Focuses mainly on how to modify light on a budget, but often drops other tidbits.

So what do you guys got?

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Podbloggingcastingdiary
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »

Nothing you are looking for, I am sure. But I am putting these out here nonetheless.

Diagonally Through the Woods: Great DnD podcast, occasionally talks about BSG and Star Wars RPGs. Mostly discusses updates and gives advice on making your game better.
The Game Master Show: Another RPG podcast. This time it doesn't focus on DnD. It focuses on obscure and new games and does APs of them. Learned about a bunch of interesting games out there. Interviews game makers. Talks about game issues such as 'Restarting games' and 'NPC Reliance'
Downloadable Content: The Penny Arcade podcast. Listening to the podcast completely changes my outlook on the comic.
The Official WotC: Gives advice on games, talks about updates. I like the Penny Arcade DnD games as well.
2PLive!: The guys who make 2P start talk about gaming news and making the comic. Nothing groundbreaking, but I've listened to these guys since the beginning.

I've got a few others but they are of bad quality and I don't listen much.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »

Webcomics Weekly was good while it lasted; it's half how-to and half funny/interesting stories about the craft and the business. If you don't like Scott Kurtz, you'll either hate it or change your mind.

Also I keep up with Tweet Me Harder, which really doesn't have much to do with Twitter and is more about Starslip's Kris Straub and Wondermark's David Malki! being comically absurd at each other. I love that sort of humor but YMMV.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:44:01 PM »

A complete listing of everything in my RSS aggregator would be incredibly long and mostly mediocre, but I'll pick out the cream of the non-webcomics (I read like sixty of those).

Overcoming Bias is a blog about... philosophy? Economics? Something like that. Less pretentious-insubstantial than it sounds. Incredibly smart guy writes it.

Twenty Sided is probably my favorite gaming blog. I like the writer's perspective, and he's prolific.

Ever since Steve Yegge quit, the only programming blog I still read is Coding Horror. This is mostly because, although he is a well-respected programming guy, Eric S. Raymond's blog is not really about programming very often.

Retrofuture is just a lot of fun: it looks at expired futurism, previous decades' expectations of the future.

The Invincible Super-Blog.

At this blog, the text of Dracula was republished in real-time. It ended recently, but the blogger has several other real-time epistolaries ready to go, one of which is set to begin next month. Check the sidebar.

Indie Gaming Bingo doesn't update often, but when it does, it is worth it.

Justice League Revisited is one guy providing analysis of every episode of Justice League, as well as related episodes from other DCAU series.
...but is it art?

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 07:16:52 PM »

Some of my favorites:

kottke - Some fella from New York puts up A+ links on a daily basis.

Andore7 Twitter - The dudes from Ecchi-Attack and AndoreJr. I try to keep on top of whatever they put out, because well, they were pretty much my idols growing up. Still A++, naturally, but activity is sporadic at best.

The Frontal Cortex - My current favorite. Every time this guy makes a post I have no choice but to stop whatever I've doing and read it in its entirety.

McSweeney's - Assorted fiction. It's hit or miss sometimes, but it updates regularly and I rarely regret giving it my time.

Dark Roasted Blend - Sci-fi and fantasy. One of those blogs I just stumbled on after a maze of links. Pretty great.

Happy Days - A great NYT blog about the pursuit of happiness.

There's a jillion more, but a lot of them are local happenings, hipster runoff, or positive thinking blogs for my job.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 07:54:04 AM »

What's a pirate's favorite form of subscription?

Magazines.

Now, I found something that may be of use to people here I don't know just seemed like a thing: Lists of blogs of Pixar artists and animators

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »

I listen to old Loveline episodes at work.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »

what the hell sort of jobs do you have where you can listen to podcasts
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 08:47:02 AM »

I work in a warehouse pulling comic books off the shelves for a few hours and doing real work, and I think she's an accountant!

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 08:58:02 AM »

ah, okay. The warehouse I worked at would have killed me for doing that
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:50 AM »

I'm an auditor

I'm auditing right now

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »

That is a travesty.  Honestly, if you're just doing simple order filling why not listen to music?  Managers are jerks.  Unless there were forklifts around.  We don't have heavy machinery of any type, so we don't have to be too careful.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:15:13 AM »

there were some forklifts, yeah

anyway, done derailing the thread now

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:17:07 AM »

I'm auditing right now

I am also working right now :hi5:

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin