Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: What the fuck, Arizona?  (Read 42933 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: What the fuck, Arizona?
« Reply #320 on: December 12, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »

SCOTUS to take SB1070 case.

I don't like that it's being approached from the jurisdictional standpoint.  The problem with 1070 isn't that a state is arresting people for violating a federal law, it's that it's grossly violating the civil rights of an ethnic minority.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 12, 2011, 06:33:40 PM »

I love that infographic. Half of the states that haven't passed immigration laws don't share a land border with any other countries.

But what kind of immigration problem does North Dakota have?
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 12, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »

Quite honestly I'm looking forward to a ruling that says that the mandatory checking of legal status is constitutional, but the profiling is not, and therefore SB1070 remains in effect with the "only if the police suspect the individual is not here legally" provision stricken out*.  Quick show of hands, who here carries around their passport and/or birth certificate at all times?

* They can/do strike out parts of a law and not the entire thing, right?  I am fail civics.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 12, 2011, 06:52:51 PM »

Oregon actually has a strangely large problem with illegals. It's a larger presence than you'd think.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #324 on: December 13, 2011, 07:27:59 AM »

They can/do strike out parts of a law and not the entire thing, right?  I am fail civics.

The lower courts already have, yeah.

Quite honestly I'm looking forward to a ruling that says that the mandatory checking of legal status is constitutional, but the profiling is not, and therefore SB1070 remains in effect with the "only if the police suspect the individual is not here legally" provision stricken out*.  Quick show of hands, who here carries around their passport and/or birth certificate at all times?

Technically I THINK they'll accept a driver's license or state ID.  But it's not actually mandatory to carry ID in Arizona (except, of course, your license if you're driving).

All of which is a fig leaf.  There's absolutely nothing to stop the police from finding something wrong with your ID if they want to harass you.

That said, yes, more absurd examples of white people being arrested under 1070-like laws would be instructive.  Have you heard the story of the Mercedes Benz exec arrested in Alabama?

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 13, 2011, 08:24:27 AM »

"Sometimes we forget in Alabama that when we label a group as a problem and when we paint the brush so broadly, we've included most of the world," said David Bronner, chief executive of the Retirement Systems of Alabama and a key player in luring new business to the state.

I highly doubt this is a case of "we didn't realize it meant the whole world." This is a case of "yeah, we do think we're better than the whole world, except this guy because he is pretty useful to us right now. Love you germany ♥"

Reuters reports that the incident has even Republican Governor Robert Bentley, who was a supporter of the law, reconsidering. Reuters reports that the governor was considering revisions because of a "number of unintended consequences."

If only those unintended consequences would have been given two minutes' thought before the assholes in legislature said "yeah, mexicans are bad!" and voted for the damn thing. Nearly every problem in government could be solved if anyone considered the unintended consequences.

But hey, we don't pay congressmen to think about laws. We pay them to fuck us in the ass at the whims of whatever corporation paid them last.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 13, 2011, 08:28:53 AM »

SCOTUS to take SB1070 case.

I don't like that it's being approached from the jurisdictional standpoint.  The problem with 1070 isn't that a state is arresting people for violating a federal law, it's that it's grossly violating the civil rights of an ethnic minority.

No, the problem is that a state is enforcing a federal law.  If a cop is violating your civil rights, the Supreme Court does not have the time or energy to hear your lawsuit unless it actually involves something controversial*.

*actually controversial, not the definition of controversial we use when we really just mean gross

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #327 on: December 13, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »

I highly doubt this is a case of "we didn't realize it meant the whole world."

No, it is.

Because it quite clearly is supposed to just mean Mexico.

No, the problem is that a state is enforcing a federal law.  If a cop is violating your civil rights, the Supreme Court does not have the time or energy to hear your lawsuit unless it actually involves something controversial*.

Fair.  But focusing on the jurisdiction issue sidesteps the most important legal and ethical problems with the law.  To use an old analogy, it's like nailing Capone for tax evasion.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #328 on: December 13, 2011, 10:56:04 AM »

New Times: Governor Brewer's Lawsuit Vs. Medical Marijuana Act Criticized by Federal Judge; Says State Must Choose Sides

Governor Jan Brewer's lawsuit against Arizona's medical marijuana law took a beating today in federal court, where a judge told the state's lawyers to pick a side on the issue.

[...]

Brewer and Horne, however, don't have the chutzpah to actually argue against the voter-approved law -- something that could be politically dangerous.

[...]

Their lawsuit relies on the creation of 20 fictitious defendants -- 10 who believe the new state law violates federal law and 10 who don't believe it -- to bolster their position that a dispute exists.

But Bolton said today that she planned to dismiss all of the fictitious defendants, adding that the tactic cannot "persist" in federal court.

[...]

Bolton was highly skeptical of the state's argument. In a nutshell, Brewer and Horne argue that state officials who would regulate dispensaries risk getting busted by the feds. Lawyers for the U.S. Justice Department, in yet another irony (considering Obama's crackdown on medical weed in California), take the position that Arizona's law doesn't necessarily threaten state workers. They want Brewer's case tossed out.

Kee-rist, this thing's like a pretzel.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #329 on: December 14, 2011, 02:17:31 PM »

Sheriff Joe says that none of the 400 rapists he failed to investigate went on to rape anybody else.

The guy who broke the story in the first place plugs one of their names into a search engine and oh hey, actually Joe...

The most recent story prompted Arpaio to apologize this week to the victims, “if there were any victims,” he added.

Stay classy, Joe.

(via)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »

Hey Thad, how's the weather in AZ this time of year?

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2011, 06:58:40 PM »

Moist as of late, but generally dry and chilly.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 14, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »

Moist as of late, but generally dry and chilly.

That's what she said.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #333 on: December 14, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »

Hey Thad, how's the weather in AZ this time of year?

This week, or last week?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2011, 11:42:57 AM »

DoJ threatens suit against Arpaio over that whole racism-as-the-central-tenet-of-his-operating-procedure thing he does.  Would be nice, and certainly nice to see a story like that on CNN instead of just the local news, but the DoJ's dragged its feet far too much up to this point.

Lemons points out the obvious, that Arpaio's not likely to resign unless the DoJ gives him an ultimatum.  Has a great rundown of Arpaio's many crimes and scandals:

From Arpaio's framing enemies and ginning up the specter of fake death threats against himself to a body count of unconvicted inmates who've either died from the abuse of guards, other prisoners, or from medical neglect in his vast incarceration complex.

New Times has pointed out — over and over — that Arpaio is the most sued sheriff in the nation, that wrongful deaths in his horribly run facilities have cost county taxpayers more than $50 million (at last count) in legal fees, lawsuit payouts, and settlements.

The majority of the voting public shrugged. No matter how egregious the wrongdoing — no matter the depth of the corruption — Arpaio had the public's number.

He gave them bread and circuses, stunts, and shuck and jive. Pink underwear and jail stripes and a broken tank that had to be pulled around like a Christmas parade float.

When nativist hatred toward the undocumented began to rise in 2005-06, Arpaio ditched his cavils that being illegally present in the United States was not a crime. He transformed the MCSO into a county version of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. People ate it up.

Subsequently, the MCSO's scandals have grown to gargantuan proportions.

Arpaio teemed up with now-disgraced former County Attorney Andrew Thomas, pursuing vendettas against county judges and supervisors and even newspapermen, like Village Voice Media executives Michael Lacey and Jim Larkin.

Later came the so-called "Munnell memo," exposing the illegal activities of Arpaio's then-Chief Deputy David Hendershott, the outside investigation of Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu, the results of which are still being sifted through; the theft by Arpaio's office of $100 million in county funds; and Arpaio's laughable testimony in the State Bar of Arizona's disciplinary proceedings against co-conspirator Andrew Thomas, in which his favorite phrase under oath was "I don't recall."

Lemons adds that, unassailable as Arpaio's been up to this point, he's weakening slightly under the weight of the most recent scandal and the general shift in public opinion on immigration issues.  He floats US Marshal David Gonzales as an ideal challenger.

I don't know much about Gonzales but I'll agree that Arpaio's vulnerable now in a way that he hasn't been before.  I wouldn't bet on him losing the election next year, but for the first time I'm granting the possibility that it COULD happen.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »

More on the DoJ report from the NYT.

After an investigation that lasted more than three years, the civil rights division of the Justice Department said in a 22-page report that the sheriff’s office has “a pervasive culture of discriminatory bias against Latinos” that “reaches the highest levels of the agency.”

[...]

Sheriff Arpaio was singled out for criticism in the report, which said that he had distributed racially charged letters he had received and that he helped nurture the department’s “culture of bias.”

Asked at a news conference about Sheriff Arpaio’s role in the department’s problems, Mr. Perez said, “We have to do cultural change and culture change starts with people at the top.” Mr. Perez made a point of reaching out to Sheriff Arpaio’s underlings. “These findings are not meant to impugn your character,” he said to the department’s deputies.

[...]

The inquiry’s findings, which Sheriff Arpaio is sure to contest, paint a picture of a department staffed by poorly trained deputies who target Latino drivers on the roadways and detain innocent Latinos in the community in their searches for illegal immigrants. The mistreatment, the government said, extends to the jails the department oversees, where Latino inmates who do not speak English are mistreated.

[...]

The report said Latino drivers were four to nine times more likely to be stopped in the sprawling county, which includes Phoenix and its environs, than non-Latino drivers. The expert who conducted the study called it the most egregious racial profiling he has ever seen in this country, said Mr. Perez, the prosecutor.

The report said that roughly one-fifth of the traffic-related incident reports generated by the department’s human smuggling unit contained information indicating the stops may have been conducted in violation of the Fourth Amendment’s prohibition on unreasonable seizures.

The report also suggested that Sheriff Arpaio’s well-publicized raids aimed at arresting illegal immigrants were sometimes prompted by complaints that described no criminal activity but referred to people with “dark skin” or to Spanish speakers congregating in an area. “The use of these types of bias-infected indicators as a basis for conducting enforcement activity contributes to the high number of stops and detentions lacking in legal justification,” the report said.

[...]

The report quotes from some people characterized as victims of the department’s overzealous ways. It cites the case of a Latino driver who won a $600,000 legal settlement after a deputy intentionally struck him with his patrol car during a traffic stop.

In another case, an inmate was not allowed to use another inmate as an interpreter to tell a detention officer that her sheets were soiled. She was told she had to make the request herself in English, even though she did not speak the language well.

After Mr. Arpaio received a letter complaining that employees of a McDonald’s in Sun City, a retirement community, did not speak English, the sheriff forwarded the letter to a top aide, who mounted an immigration raid in the area.

Good fucking start.

We all know what happens next: Arpaio holds a press conference, he conducts another "sweep" to try and distract everybody, and he stonewalls.

Hoping the DoJ doesn't sit on that lawsuit threat for very long.

EDIT TO ADD: DHS removes MCSO's authority to conduct illegal immigration screenings.

My first reaction is "Well, good."

My second reaction is, "Wait a minute, god dammit...DHS gave MCSO the authority to conduct illegal immigration screenings?  The Department of Homeland Security?  The one Janet fucking Napolitano is in charge of?"

Good thing somebody finally told her about this Arpo guy!

EDIT 2: A nice bulleted list of the DoJ's findings at the New Times.

Arpaio has a news conference scheduled for 4 p.m. today on the Justice Department's findings.

:popcorn:

It's half an hour off yet but permit me to summarize it:

"We didn't do it, and anyway I didn't know anything about it, but we totally didn't do it and this is just a witch hunt by Democrats like Janet Napolitano and Barack Obama, who I can prove was born in Kenya by the way, and I'm just enforcing the law, and I totally just arrested FIVE MEXICANS in a raid."

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #336 on: December 16, 2011, 07:21:51 AM »

It's half an hour off yet but permit me to summarize it:

"We didn't do it, and anyway I didn't know anything about it, but we totally didn't do it and this is just a witch hunt by Democrats like Janet Napolitano and Barack Obama, who I can prove was born in Kenya by the way, and I'm just enforcing the law, and I totally just arrested FIVE MEXICANS in a raid."

Damn, how could I forget "Now, thanks to the federal government, we're going to have to release DANGEROUS ILLEGALS out onto the streets!"

Because dammit, if you're accused of a crime and want Sheriff Joe to just let you out into the general population with no repercussions, that crime had better be rape.

But other than that I sure nailed it.

Oh, and also, it sounds like the Ninth Circuit is pretty skeptical of his demand for immunity in the New Times case.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2011, 07:33:29 AM »

Why isn't he being tried at the fucking Hague. Jesus tapdancing fuck.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2011, 11:44:54 AM »

I'm going to say something incredibly reactionary and stupid:

Why hasn't anyone put a fucking bullet in his head yet?

Why can't we get the kind of radicals the right has? We get the Unabomber, and then what, nothing? Fuck!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »

The Venn diagram of people who are opposed to Joe Arpaio and people who are cool with completely bypassing the legal system in favor of taking the role of judge, jury, and executioner on themselves has very little overlap.

I'm sure there are Mexican gangs who would love to take him out.  I submit the fact that they haven't is pretty object evidence that he is lying every time he claims he is in danger from Mexican gangs.

...would appreciate no more assassination talk, please, even as a joke.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28