Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

Do you think we should do an Exquisite Knorpse 3 using Knytt Stories?

I'M A DESIGNER, and YES, I have more ideas / Am just starting to get the hang of the editor / Just like using Knytt Stories the most.
- 8 (38.1%)
I'M A DESIGNER, and NO, I feel like I've done all I can do in Knytt Stories / Want to try something new / Just don't like Knytt Stories.
- 1 (4.8%)
I'M A PLAYER, and YES, I want to see more of this / Really enjoy these Knytt Stories levels / Think Frocto's Knytt Stories LPs are hilarious.
- 9 (42.9%)
I'M A PLAYER, and NO, I think Knytt Stories is played out / Think there are better engines to use / Hate the damned game.
- 3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Exquisite Knorpse 2: The Worst Exquisite Knorpse Ever  (Read 13008 times)

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Exquisite Knorpse 2: The Worst Exquisite Knorpse Ever
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »

Exquisite Knorpse 2 (Version 1.8, because of MAJOR CHANGES) is now available at this Sendspace location (and at BongoBill's mirror and Brentai's Mirror, although I can't guarantee that both of them have the most current version of the level). To play the level, open up Knytt Stories, click Install Level, and either drag the .knytt.bin file onto the window or open it using the Browse dialog.

Much obliged to everybody for testing. Version 1.6 reintegrates a couple rooms around and above the castle, restores LaserBeing's original ghostly path, and has other minor fixes. Version 1.7 takes an arbitrary invisi-ceiling in one of my areas and removes it in favor of a new path into LaserBeing's area; 1.8 makes part of LaserBeing's mini-section a little easier and introduces major changes to Friday's mini-section as a result of the endless bitching she's received.

FAQ
Progressive clues to getting through some of the level's trouble spots.

Kazz's area:
1. [spoiler]Yes, it's a really long walk with not very much to see.[/spoiler]
2. [spoiler]Finding a replacement Climbing upgrade should not be too difficult. Once you've gotten it, you need to work your way back out into the open, find a way further up, and then to the left.[/spoiler]
3. [spoiler]Specifically, there's a room where Kazz claims responsibility for his area. From that room, you need to move up one screen.[/spoiler]
4. [spoiler]Can't find the room Kazz signed? Get back to the entrance of the grid-walled maze, and use climbing to get to the platform on the right side. Kazz's signature is just beyond.[/spoiler]
5. [spoiler]Specifically, you need to stand on the letter 'O' on the top row and jump up, climbing on the wall to the left. From there you can follow the red road either left or upward, but there's a challenging jump to the left. Going up is easier.[/spoiler]

After the mine:
1. [spoiler]You need to go down the next hole. Press "up" to swim downward; wiggle around until you fall out.[/spoiler]

Teleporters:
1. [spoiler]There are five switches at the end of hallways that need to be activated. The sign at the top of each teleporter should indicate which switch it leads to.[/spoiler]
2. [spoiler]Don't forget that teleporters save your game when you use them![/spoiler]
3. [spoiler]The correct order: starting from the entrance, go as far to the right without teleporting as possible. Flip the switch. Go back left until you reach a teleporter; take it. Then go as far to the right as you can again. Repeat.[/spoiler]
4. [spoiler]By following that basic structure, you should be able to get the first three switches fairly easily. When it's time to flip the fourth, find the updraft within the UFO and go left from the upper room. Bypass the next teleporter you see and continue to the leftmost teleporter in the dead end; take that one.[/spoiler]

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Exquisite Knorpse 2: The Worst Exquisite Knorpse Ever
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 12:47:31 AM »

I

LOVE

THE

WELL
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:53:06 AM »

It's kind of a hard game.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:54:42 AM »

i take it back.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:13:16 AM »

3 tiles under the orange guy are messed up

I thought this was okay until I got the double jump and due to control-related grievances couldn't get any further. I guess I am bad, but damn Juni moves fast.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 01:30:10 AM »

Thanks for the catch. I actually noticed those before, but never got around to fixing them in the torrent of bug reports that have been coming in. Incidentally, you can hold A to slow your movement.
Signature:

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 01:33:03 AM »

I know, but it's awkward. I wish I could edit the controls.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 01:45:54 AM »

step 1.) any gamepad in the world
step 2.) joy2key

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 04:21:20 AM »

Original release beaten. In one sitting.

Time spent on game total: 4 1/2 hours
Time spent of bullshit lava jump: 15 minutes
Time spent on final boss: 1 hour, 10 minutes. Granted, some of that was because I was tired.

Outstanding overall. Last Boss soured my mood, but Brentai did an excellent job with everything else. Nerf the fuck out of that guy, though. No stacking fireballs.

Everyone did a great job. My areas look bland in comparison to you guys. I'm amazed at the level of detail. Lots of bugs and wallswim shit, though, but I guess Newbie is already up to like 1.4, so those are getting fixed.

Infinite props to Lee-Ham and the rest of the artists. Also infinite props to Newbie for hosting. A++ all around.

Oh. Remove the bullshit lava jump. Make it three wide. For serious. It's not fun and completely drags down an otherwise excellent area.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 05:05:48 AM »

At least there was a save point right in front of that one, unlike some nasty jumps I could name. Lookin' at you, Doom.

Quote from: Doom

I got as far as Friday's area, but was too tired to have the coordination to go any further. Have been digging it extremely. The art in particular is just splendid.

Incidentally, as of the time of this posting, I've mirrored the latest version (1.4?) here.
...but is it art?

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 10:11:44 AM »

Release 1.5 forthcoming, featuring (1) narrower lava stream under the well, and (2) fewer fireballs at the end. Plus any extra bugs you guys find.
Signature:

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »

At least there was a save point right in front of that one, unlike some nasty jumps I could name. Lookin' at you, Doom.

???

Where is this jump? I have no memory of frustrating parts (not counting my own stuff, which I'm sure will frustrate others) besides the two I named. But I may have just gotten lucky.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 10:52:37 AM »

Okay. The lava jump under the Well? Bongo beat it in, like, barely a minute and a half. All the same, it's causing enough frustration that it's going down to three. There is also now another "save point" in LaserBeing's area. That's the jump BongoBill's complaining of. I have also removed five fire shooters from the latter half of Brentai's final area. Also, the three different endings are cued a little better; currently, I'd only expect people to be able to find two, since they're basically in the same spot. Once I clean up this last bug, I'll start uploading 1.5.

You really can't get any idea of the layout from the map at the end of the game. I've uploaded as much of it as I could fit onto a 1024x768 image.
Signature:

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 11:01:23 AM »

Bongo beat it in, like, barely a minute and a half.

::(:

Also, I don't see any area done by Doom in the credits. I think Bongo is mistaken. Still don't know what jump he's referring to.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 11:04:54 AM »

Yeah, he was mistaken. The jump he was bothered by was in the cave where you find the eye and have to use the stalactites with spikes on the bottom.
Signature:

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 11:22:06 AM »

Ah, OK. Yeah, died a few times there.

Anyway, I'm giving out Free Blowjobs to anyone who worked on this, just sayin'.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »

Anyway, I'm giving out Free Blowjobs to anyone who worked on this, just sayin'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZItsbLzc73s

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »

Wait. You use your upper teeth? Wow, I've been doing it wrong!

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 02:45:08 PM »

Anyway, I was meaning to give you guys some feedback after I figured out who did what, so here.

Do yourself a favor and don't look at this if you're ever planning to play, or watch someone LP EK2. I've headed each area with the creator's name so they can skip the others so as not to spoil.

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

Newbie:
[spoiler]I dug your areas. Opening palace and was very well done as a good intro to the game, and Exposition central was just great. Your Final area was very well balanced. I enjoyed the challenge and classic music. I went :D when I saw you reused Death. Especially liked your boss. Overall, I'd say you had some of the most refined, well balanced areas.[/spoiler]

Bongo:
[spoiler]Your areas were also well done. Spike mines were a little bit cheap, but manageable, and other than that a good mix of difficulty. Your moon/plane area I liked immensely. Interesting design with the part where you have to give up either climb or double jump. The music for the moon was A+. Your final area was a bit simple, but that's alright. Overall, very good work.[/spoiler]

Kazz:
[spoiler]I liked your area, actually. The bits where you actually put in effort were fun, well balanced, and challenging. I'm sure the long walk will do what it was meant to do: troll Frocto. Way better than your previous stuff.[/spoiler]

Kayin:
[spoiler]You made a tower! It was pretty cool looking, actually. I was half expecting Tacgnol. Your "final area" made me laugh like an idiot. Not sure if you told Brentai to do that or he just did it on his own. Either way.[/spoiler]

Niku:
[spoiler]NORFAAAAAAAAAIRRRR!!! But seriously, I am sad you didn't do more. What little there was was hard but fun.[/spoiler]

Zara:
[spoiler]I actually really enjoyed your rooms and the spaceship theme. The problem was confusing design. The combination of the "elevators" and samey looking rooms made it hard to keep track of where you were and where you needed to go. The rooms themselves were well balanced and fun, though. Your final area was basically everything good about your first with none of the bad, so A+ there.[/spoiler]

Zach:
[spoiler]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU WIN AT EVERYTHING FOREVER. Except your lavafalls jump. When the "music" started looping I started crying from laughter. Your final area was weird and confusing, which I guess was the point![/spoiler]

Kayma:
[spoiler]Shit, you did Hologram, right? Just like you designer room said, it was short but sweet. Also I think you did lighthouse? Good stuff. DID YOU DESIGN THAT MAZE TO NOWHERE IF SO I APPLAUD YOU AND LOOK FORWARD TO FROCTO CURSING YOUR NAME[/spoiler]

Lee-Ham:
[spoiler]I feel I must separate my feedback into two parts.
Art: Holy jesus shit. Can you win any harder? Buried treasure was the best use of detector ever, period. But is it art?
Design: Pretty good! A little bit cheap in some areas, but overall not too bad. Climbing back out of everything was great. Your final area was great except for RANDOM PLANT THAT KILLS YOU OVER AND OVER right at the start.[/spoiler]

Brentai:
[spoiler]Wow. Uh. Wow. I don't quite know how to say this, but: You did an amazing job. Mood, theme, story, everything. Your first area was great. Only nitpick I have is those two height jumps between water as you flee the temple: Pixel perfection was required there and it got quite frustrating. QUICKTIME EVENT IS BEST EVENT. Your second area was even better than the first. The Tests of _______ were sort of basic, but clever. Music and ending were A+. Probably half the time I spent on your boss was because I was tired, but that's still 35 minutes of dying over and over through no fault of my own due to early and late firing fireballs. Having someone playtest can avoid things like this. He was epic as shit and died awesomely, though. If you aiming to upstage me, you certainly succeeded.[/spoiler]

ALSO

[spoiler]DOG ENDING IS BEST[/spoiler]

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »

RE FRIDAY: [spoiler]I can't take credit for the lighthouse or the maze to nowhere, but I'm glad you didn't straight up hate my hologram maze![/spoiler]

After seeing what everyone else has done, I'm kinda itching to do it again with some knowledge under my belt. EK3, anyone?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11