Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

Which of these maps should join rotation?

Black Mesa
- 8 (25.8%)
Desert Fortress
- 10 (32.3%)
Freight
- 8 (25.8%)
Japan
- 5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Shadow Moses Map Nominations  (Read 16894 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Shadow Moses Map Nominations
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »

Map Posting Guidelines

A link, a name, a description, a recommendation. An understanding of good design helps. Maps are tested when they are tested.

Please try to suggest maps that carry the trappings of good taste. Unique design elements are a plus but we all want something that feels good and plays better.

Cluttered shit, bad textures, single-file corridors, a lack of alternative routes, internet "humor." These are things you should avoid.

Introduction

Saxton Hale came into my office today. He had a mission for me and money was no option, but by God, there probably wasn't time. As sweat glistened along his impossibly shirtless form, he gave me a cocky grin. In an instant I saw everything true in the world reflected: although I may never be the modern man of machismo that is Saxton Hale, the potential would always lay deep within me and now was my chance to act upon it. To bring a little bit of Doom E. Kins to the world at large.

I have traveled across countless Gravel Pits, Train Yards sending construction materials to Gravel Pits, Disguised Nuclear Warhead Sites aimed at Gravel Pits, and all places in-between. These are my findings. This is my Legend.

From The Desk Of

Doom E. Kins, Watch-Holding Traveler, Murderer Extraordinaire.

Map Packs

For quick reference!

The Doom Pack.

Doom promised you maps. Here is a real man's plethora to pick from.

The Niku Pack.

Niku has impeccable taste. Let's get a taste of Niku.

The Champion Pack.

Maps that should be returned to the server immediately because they were there before.

The Comedy Pack.

Something Something Pacman.

The Doom Pack

Maps that have withstood the test of Doom time. Drawn from the ancient, 2-3 year old map folder of our very own Doom E. Kins.

cp_furnace

:advice: :advice: :advice: :advice:

cp_gydan

:advice: :shrug: :nyoro~n: I.. remember it as being good, but it may not stand up to thorough testing. I'll still recommend it though!

cp_resonance

:perfect:

cp_switchback

ctf_aerospace

:perfect: :perfect: One of the best CTFs I've ever seen. The unique decor really sells it on aesthetic quality.

cp_boulder

:perfect: Really awesome flow work. The guy has a ton of great looking maps that would be worth a shot. I can only speak personally of boulder's greatness now so it's all I'm nominating.

cp_follower

cp_freight

:advice: :advice:

cp_overflow

:perfect: :perfect: One of my absolute favorite maps. A true priceless artifact of my days of pre-ShMo.

Trial by Fire

I'm only going to recommend these maps as worth a try. They can be weird or clunky otherwise.

ctf_aurora

The concept is fascinating. Both teams have a point at their base they return the enemy intel to. They also have a separate, nearby point to defend where their own intel is. So you race to the enemy base and back to drop the intel off at the point. What makes it confusing is that it's not immediately obvious which point is which and [spoiler]if you step on the wrong one you immediately die[/spoiler]. Otherwise, it's a cool ass map with a great aesthetic.

PL Tug-o-War

Seems fascinating.

The Holy Trinity

These are my votes for CTFP maps we can tolerate because they're good enough to overshadow the mode, or designed well enough to endure it.

Snowdrift

Long enough to actually give the Defenders a chance. Decent design otherwise. A bit linear, but just enough side paths to make it good.

Slate

Kinda small, but flowed well and had excellent side-routes. Probably just a raw quality entry for the mode.

Vector

ROOMBA! Excellent outside-the-box design. Defenders can actually hope to win.

Any other CTF/P maps.. eh, if they can be kicked back into standard CP mode, they'd be tolerable.

Nikurasimu

Niku has gifted us with excellent map suggestions!

koth_moonshine

It uses that exciting Swamp Theme! Golly!

cp_japan

:gay4: It's just like one of my Japanese animes!

Obligatory Shadow Moses Reference Map

We must give it an obligatory try, gents.

cp_castle

I just tore this one out of that pickle pack link so that somebody wouldn't unwittingly add ctf_chaos to the server. cp_castle is a good map, though!

Returning Champions

These are maps that should be reinstated immediately.

koth_lighthouse

It's a tight, compact koth map with tons of side-routes and a flow that emphasizes a cutthroat back and forth. Solid map.

GARBAGE DAY. HUH WHAT *BANG* AGHH HA HA HA HA

It is a good koth map that has nothing to do with the terrible internet meme movie it references. Hooray.

FRONTIER

We fucking love this map how did we ever lose it oh god put it back on quick. Features SHARK TRAIN!

cp_desertfortress

What may first appear to be a stupid sniper circle jerk map reveals a surprising depth of alternate pathways, creative cover angles, and hectic back-and-forth CP action. I can also speak with fond experience that it has a ton of good-but-not-game-breaking engineer coveys. Also a surprising viability for rocket/pipe jumpers. Bring it back post-haste!

The Comedy Option

I get it, you guys like WTF_Pacman or BalloonRace or whatever and we're probably due for a return to Yardstick with the advent of the Scottish Resistance and Dat Targe.

However, I'd like to offer an adminly opinion. If these maps are returned to the server, can we possibly block them somehow? Can it be an admin toggle? Can they not be in RTV, but available if everybody is like "hey Smiler, let's balloon race?" I'd like to see the maps available if a majority wants them, but not in the unwitting "Comedy Troll Vote" option that clears the server from 20 people to 6.

Here is a list of Comedy Maps:

balloon race

This map would actually be fucking fantastic if it wasn't a stuttering piece of shit. It is hilarious, I'll grant it that.

billiards

Actually vaguely good. Gets old fast, though.

Yardstick

It is a map about sticky-bomb launching yourself the furthest. I will probably vomit if this is ever used when the server has more than 8 people on it.

cp_pacman_wtf

The only good one.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: Shadow Moses Map Nominations
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »

TIME FOR ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF NEWBIE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY TF2:
I know how to rock the vote. y+"rtv" is pretty easy. When six maps pop up in the little window, how do I actually vote for one of them?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:35:54 PM »

Hit the corresponding number. Hit y and type !revote and enter that if you futz it up. Usually caused by trying to swap weapons the instant the RTV menu comes up.

I hope the guys who know what they're doing add some of these maps tonight!

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 03:39:45 PM »

On the subject of the comedy maps, would it be possible to create a random chance generator that allows these maps to be added to the nominate list for 2 hour interval with a chance of 1 in.. say... 7?  Something like this would make the maps' appearance a treat that could be abused on rare occasions, but only on rare occasions.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »

oh man i totally forgot about fucking desert fortress.  very yes.

Also I wish I could remember that other desert CP map that I've played on some servers with the bridge and i think it was gravelpit styled cp but it has been a long time.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »

oh fucking duh.  the name was pl_cashworks, not pl_cashback.  MY BAD. 

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/69298  HERE YA GO

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 04:50:59 PM »

Cait

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »

The correct version of aerospace. For tonight, we have added:

CTF: Aerospace
CTF: Aurora
KOTH: Garbage Day (Now with real KotH action!)
KOTH: Moonshine

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:24:20 PM »

The koth version of pacman looks interesting.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 06:07:48 PM »

ctf_1fort_b2 should be released before the year is out.
...but is it art?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 07:58:04 PM »

Moonshine, Aurora, Aerospace and Garbage Day all played to magnificent effect. All keepers!

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »

omg koth_pacman DO WANT.

1fort do not want.

sorry bill's friend.

Cait

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »

Will figure out what is wrong with nominate at some future point after I am back from Christmas break, or Zara/Smiler/someone else could I guess.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 09:29:21 PM »

oh man i totally forgot about fucking desert fortress.  very yes.

WERD. That is an EX-cellent map. Fast, with great flow and good chances for both teams. I can't believe we took it off.

Get this one back on too, plzkthx.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 10:31:22 PM »

i'm still up for 1fort

vector is a lot of fun, and i would like to try the other winners of that tf2maps.net contest

freight is always funny (AW YEAH MR.TRAIN)

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 07:53:31 AM »

We tried the god damn contest maps, shut the fuck up, saturn.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »

We did?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 12:48:38 PM »

The server is active when you and saturn are not there. Hard to believe, I know.

It turns out most of the map contest maps suck because they use a weird, stupid CTF-P mode. Attackers pick up the intel and all they have to do is touch the point to immediately cap it.

The same thing happens every time: A Targe Demo or a Scout runs it in and it's just a retarded test to see if you have two engineers or perfect aim.

All that said, there were still at least three serviceable maps. I named my picks above.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »

This one looks pretty neat.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »

I thought A/D CTF meant you had to get into the enemy base and bring the intel out like in normal CTF, but the attackers don't have intel of their own.
...but is it art?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12