Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: You Can Hear Me How?  (Read 17499 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: You Can Hear Me How?
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2010, 11:53:31 AM »

Didn't feel like waiting, so I flashed it meself.  Does spruce things up a bit, but doesn't fix my main issue, which is that the phone refuses to play most MP4 files.  It turns out this is because - and this is :sogood: - Samsung phones will only play a Samsung specific format of MP4 file that nobody fucking knows about.

tl;dr FUCKING KOREANS

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2011, 05:22:49 AM »

Turned out to be $20 cheaper to get a data plan, an Incredible, and hop on my dad's plan. So I did.

How do I remove half of this app crap on here?> And how do I make this thing better?

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2011, 05:57:47 AM »

This is probably the place to start.  Some of the tools have more recent versions, but the short version is to download and run unrevoked.  Most of this guide should be applicable and worked fine for me, just get the HTC Incredible version of the unlocker instead of the HTC Evo one.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2012, 08:39:07 AM »

WELP THIS IS ANCIENT BUT

My mom and sister share a joint plan on AT&T with iPhones and my sister wants to get something with a bigger screen now and my mom wants a provider with a cheaper unlimited plan and better service.  They're paying about $200 a month right now for the joint plan.  My sister is, to be as nice about it as possible, a goddamn mess when it comes to technology.  I can usually fix whatever problems she manages to make for herself right now by virtue of having the same device as her, but basically I am appealing for any ideas on a.) a carrier right now who would have an unlimited text/call joint plan for under $200 b.) a handset that can do your usual smartphone browsing and media and so on with the largest screen cross referenced by the most idiot proof design.  Anyone have any quick leads for me to dig around into?
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »

OH HELLO AGAIN RESURRECTED THREAD
My contract is up this month and apparently my phone just did the final crap out right now as we (I) speak.

Though I don't think any of the trouble I ended up having with the phone was directly T-Mobile's fault, but I'm still looking around at my new choices.

Basically I almost never actually use my phone as a phone, so companies with the best unlimited data / texting plans would be most important, shortly followed by not Sprint's coverage. T-Mobile's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on tethering is also super nice but I don't expect to find another company with it.

So if anyone is currently in love with their plan or carrier or there's a new awesome phone I need, I'd love to hear about it.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »

Figuring I should prrrrrrobably join the twenty-first century and get me a smartphone.

Restrictions: I'm sticking with Sprint.  And I'm probably looking for something Android-based unless someone can convince me otherwise.  (I don't want to break the bank on an iPhone -- plus my fiancee's already got a first-gen iPad in case I DO want to fuck around with iOS -- and Android's got a much better infrastructure than Blackberry or Windows Phone at the moment.)  And I'd like to keep it down to around $100 (after the $150 discount I've got coming for a new phone).

I'm something of a luddite in the phone space; I was dragged into owning a cell kicking and screaming and up to this point have only ever used my phone as a phone.  The most advanced feature I've used on my phone is Bluetooth, so that I can keep both hands free to type while I talk.  And by "type" I mean on a full-size keyboard in front of me; I try to avoid typing with my thumbs.

That said, while I still don't see how texting is superior to having an actual conversation, I DO see how it's superior to voicemail, because voicemail is terrible.

And you guys know me well enough to know that while I may be cranky and clinging to yesterday's model of computing, I'm not your computer-illiterate grandpa avoiding newfangled machines because they're too different or complicated.  I've got a CS degree I'm not using at the moment, and this vexes me; learning to develop for smartphones is not my primary reason for wanting to get one, but it's the most practical one.  (The least practical one is that I want to run SNES9X on one.)  I'm a fast learner but I AM coming into this one pretty blind; my research so far consists of Wikipedia, search engines, and this thread that only has 4 posts in it since 2010.

What I've read up on so far:

Samsung Conquer: Looks to be a good entry-level phone; only costs $50.  Runs Gingerbread, so it's a version behind (don't know if it's upgradeable and will assume it isn't unless someone tells me otherwise).  Screen is apparently Not Very Good; a little too small physically, and the resolution is 480x320.
Reviews: Cnet, Engadget

LG Optimus S: Looks much the same as the Conquer; screen is slightly smaller, battery life slightly longer, and I can get it for free.  Only does 3G, but that might be Good Enough.
Review: PC Mag

Motorola XPRT: Has a keyboard.  Free.  Smaller screen than the others, 3G, and comes with Froyo rather than Gingerbread.  Better battery life.
Reviews: Phone Arena, Android Central, Cnet

There are a buttload more that I'm going to read up on, but my break's over and I've got a stack of boxes to go through, so I'll leave this here for now.

EDIT:

Motorola Admiral: Looks to be a step up from the XPRT.  Costs $100, runs Gingerbread, screen has the same diagonal but higher resolution.  Still 3G.
Cnet, Phone Arena, PC World

HTC Hero: $80 (refurb), 3G, Android 2.1 -- wow this thing really looks out-of-date.  Moving on.

LG Optimus Elite: $80, 3G Gingerbread, just came out so I can't find much in the way of reviews but looks a lot like the others.

HTC Evo Design: $100, "4G", larger screen with good res.  Gingerbread, but HTC has confirmed it'll be upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich.  Battery life not great.
Engadget, Cnet, Android Central

EDIT 2:

Samsung Epic 4G: $100, keyboard, great screen; Engadget reports poor battery life but others don't, so probably depends on use.
Engadget, Cnet, Slashgear

Motorola Photon 4G: $100, Gingerbread, dual-core, big, fast, good battery life.
Cnet, Engadget, PC World

Samsung Replenish: free, and $10/month off my charges.  Only available in raspberry pink.  Keyboard, small screen, 3G, Froyo, reviewers seem to think it's not very good.
PC World, Engadget, Cnet

EDIT 3: Sprint Express: Free; I don't see much more about it.  Gingerbread/3G.
Some guy on Yahoo.

Samsung Transform Ultra: $50, keyboard, Gingerbread, 3G.  Small screen, lo res.
Cnet, PC Mag

LG Viper 4G LTE: $100, Gingerbread (with ICS upgrade promised).
Engadget, PC Mag

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »

You don't want an Optimus. My father has one.. Optimus is garbage.

As someone who has owned Android phone since the G1, I'm going to throw my vote in for an Evo 4G if you can get one cheap enough. The design is solid, the screen size is great and in general the phone performs well. I use an Evo3D but not for the sake of 3D, more for the fact it's a dual core smart phone. However, because it's an HTC phone you'll have to root it to get rid of all of the bullshit. But that might be up your alley.

Yes, battery life IS a slight issue but when you're sitting at work just leave it plugged into the wall when you're sitting at a desk. That's what I do, anyway.

As far as typing with your thumbs go, Swype is a pretty decent bandaid for that:
Swype Tips: How to Swype

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2012, 12:30:53 PM »

Additionally,

I'm not your computer-illiterate grandpa avoiding newfangled machines because they're too different or complicated.

Hm.

And by "type" I mean on a full-size keyboard in front of me; I try to avoid typing with my thumbs.
I still don't see how texting is superior to having an actual conversation,

Oh yes you are.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »

I still don't see how texting is superior to having an actual conversation,

Oh yes you are.

If Grampa's wrong on that one, I don't wanna be right.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »

Couple general notes:

* Keep in mind that if you buy a 4G phone, Sprint will tack a $10 surcharge on whether 4G is even *available* or not.  And if it's not available, you're going to be waiting a long time to forever for it.

* Evo is kind of old but the people I know who have it swear by it.  Optimum aside, HTC generally gets the highest marks for customer satisfaction among Android manufacturers (can give you a source later if you need it).

* If you're really serious about Android development, keep in mind that diversity is a big issue on that platform.  Samsung has the largest market share among Android phones by quite a margin; Apple has a larger market share than that, has a richer, stupider user base, and can be adequately tested on a single device.

* Samsung is popular but also loaded with bloatware and fucked sideways in terms of support, as most industry leaders tend to be.

My offhand suggestion would be to find a non-4G HTC for general use or a non-4G Samsung (or an iPhone) for development.  All of them run SNESoid perfectly well, by the way.

EDIT: RE: Text messaging: It's superior for non-parallel communication but ridiculous for real-time conversation.  Which is pretty much what Thad said.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »

Oh, last thing, if you're planning to root the thing you might want to stay clear of Samsung - their cute little protection schemes are easy enough to get around if you know what you're doing, but if you don't...

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2012, 01:21:55 PM »

I've never liked the idea that my telephone is leased, but as far as I can tell that's the agreement I'm signed into with this thing.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »

EDIT: RE: Text messaging: It's superior for non-parallel communication but ridiculous for real-time conversation.  Which is pretty much what Thad said.

More specifically, it's superior for SHORT non-parallel communication.

Oh, last thing, if you're planning to root the thing you might want to stay clear of Samsung - their cute little protection schemes are easy enough to get around if you know what you're doing, but if you don't...

So at a glance it's looking like maybe the Evo Design, though yeah I'm wary about that $10/month-even-if-you-don't-use-4G thing.  Will do more research on rates.

EDIT: WiMax is Not Available in My Area.  Which might be better, actually; I'd rather pay less and deal with 3G I think.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »

What in the world are you talking about?  Samsung phones are the easiest to root - it's HTC and Motorola where you have to deal with locked bootloaders and shit.

Thad, I'd suggest waiting until Samsung unveils the Galaxy S III tomorrow, and looking at whether that's something you'd want.  It's what I'm planning to upgrade to as soon as my upgrade eligibility kicks in this June.  Saving $100 on the down payment seems like a good deal, for a phone, but these are with 2-year contracts - there's no sense in getting a cheap phone now and being stuck with it for two years.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »

More specifically, it's superior for SHORT non-parallel communication.
One of my favorite things about all of my friend group having smartphones is the resurgence of email and specifically listservs as a planning/communication mechanism.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »

What in the world are you talking about?  Samsung phones are the easiest to root - it's HTC and Motorola where you have to deal with locked bootloaders and shit.

Guess I need to do a bit of research there.  Not THAT worried about it; I think I can work it out.

Thad, I'd suggest waiting until Samsung unveils the Galaxy S III tomorrow, and looking at whether that's something you'd want.  It's what I'm planning to upgrade to as soon as my upgrade eligibility kicks in this June.  Saving $100 on the down payment seems like a good deal, for a phone, but these are with 2-year contracts - there's no sense in getting a cheap phone now and being stuck with it for two years.

Yeah, looks like a new EVO's out next week too.

I'm keeping in mind that I don't want to get stuck with a subpar phone for 2 years, but...I've been using this just-a-phone phone for about 6 and haven't really felt like I was missing much.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »

Problem is with Apps and OS upgrades you're in for some pain if you start out with a slow phone and then it gets slower with even more bloated shit

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2012, 08:11:23 PM »

Yeah, smartphones gradually become obsolete on account of OS bloat these days, because well, they're little computers.  My mom's iPhone 3GS was nigh-on unusuable for the past couple of months, which is what prompted my sister and her to upgrade in the first place.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2012, 09:08:49 PM »

Are updates mandatory/rollbacks possible, should I have a problem like that?  Or is it like Sony where you get locked out of the network if you don't patch?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2012, 09:50:41 PM »

I was using the network fine on Froyo for a long time after it moved to Gingerbread, but that's mostly because I used an external package to update to Froyo and got locked out of the OTA update channel.  So... there's that?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9