Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Author Topic: You Can Hear Me How?  (Read 17501 times)

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: You Can Hear Me How?
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2010, 02:38:38 PM »

D:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »

I installed a Stealth Guard screen protector on my Epic.  For the sake of illustration I'm writing this post exclusively using Swype.

Once you figure out how the hell you're supposed to install it it goes on easily enough.  Thing's far from invisible though... It picks up smudges super easily and turns them into big chromatic splotches.  Also the traction is a tad high... Stuff like dragging is a bit harder but clearly not too bad.

It might be a good addition to most phones but there's one fatal flaw on the Galaxy S series: Samsumg's weird love of touch sensitive LED buttons.  These things are sqirrely at the best of times but when trapped under a thick rubber film... well, let's just say having to try three times just to hit the back button every time gets old fast.

I'll probably end up pulling the thing out and going back to the tiny screen-sized protectors supplied by Sprint, but I'm giving the fancy-pants film here some benefit of the doubt since it supposedly takes 24 hours to fully set in.  If I'm still having trouble using the standard buttons tomorrow then we can go ahead and call this a phone failure.

Not a major one though.  I forgot to mention, they're giving these away free right now

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »

I believe I'm using the same screen guard, and it smudges really easily and it has a friction problem. When typing with something like Swype, it gets really difficult.

But at least it's not getting scratched.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »

I just don't drop my phone.

OH NO HUBRIS
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2010, 03:46:06 PM »

He also doesn't have a fire extinguisher in his house because he never cuts himself.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2010, 04:03:07 PM »

I was going to go buy a protector. But I got the HTC Incredible. Fuck it. I'm not covering up its back. And I can't stand screen protectors. It always feels like I rubbing my finger on a condom. I don't need that level of protection on a phone.
And with the way I baby this thing, I really doubt I'm going to be dropping it any time soon. And it gets it's own separate pocket so no chances of scratching there.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2010, 04:08:51 PM »

He also doesn't have a fire extinguisher in his house because he never cuts himself.

I've always used cases/sleeves that protect the face anyway when it's pocket time, so the only real way I'd get scratches is if I dropped the thing.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2010, 02:24:09 PM »

Anyone here rooted their phone yet? It's something I'm considering to stop the bloatware from starting, and maybe to get a cooler looking ui.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »

Yo!

I was messing around with basically everything available for the CLIQ a while back when I needed tethering and right now I'm just waiting for the latest release of my favorite firmware using 2.1. So any Motorola phone I could probably tell you whatever you need to know.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »

are there any downsides I can't seem to find or things to worry about once it's rooted? I know there's a problem with the warranty maybe being void, but what else? (note: I'd be using the droid x one touch root, so I'm not worried about  the process itself)

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »

For rooting:

Until you get a custom firmware you'll have an AZERTY keyboard and 3/4G will fail randomly.

After getting a new firmware:

Battery usage for me was insane at first and it took a while for my phone to get used to management of the new resources. It took about a month of a day tops of battery power but now I'm getting two or so days with extended use, which is easily twice what I was getting before hand.

tl;dr: no.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2010, 10:25:30 PM »

Killing all the bloatware is as easy as putting the Advanced Task Killer widget on your desktop and clicking it pretty much any time you put the phone away.

On the Epic's battery issue, I'm to the point where I'll end the day with 50-75% charge left.  I guess these things have to build their charge memory or something.  You can still blow the thing's wad in a matter of hours if you leave on a communication channel that can't connect (4G in a non-4G area, GPS inside a building, etc) but otherwise you can abuse the thing all day and still be all right.

I pulled the Stealth Guard off and threw it away.  It actually wasn't too terrible once it set - I guess whatever space-age U.S. Army material they're selling just kind of expands into whatever crevasse it's been crammed into and settles into a smooth clear surface.  Pretty neat actually, but it never did alleviate the stupid touch-button issue (which is Samsung's fault, really) and I kind of missed the traction of the store-brand scratchguards.

FUN FACT: I absolutely hate the feel of the screen glass.  Same goes for iPhones.  My fingers just stick right to it.

Thinking of getting a pack of these Realook things, since it's the same genre of material (hard film) but covers the whole screen and supposedly doesn't do the painfully obvious refractive thing that the mainstream ones do.  We'll see.

Oh and if anything's going to stop me from switching out for a BB it's that I can't imagine willingly giving up the ability to emulate almost every console up to and including the PSX on a pocket device.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »

I'd love to get more out of that feature, but I find using purely the touch screen to play games too much of a chore. I wonder if there's a market for a small, standard controller you can plug into android phones with ease?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2010, 10:42:17 PM »

The touch screen is useless unless you're playing mostly RPGs (which I am!).  I've got a mini-keyboard which helps but is still a tad awkward for heavy action games.  There's some kind of cover you can slip on your phone to make it more like a regular controller but, uh, no.

If you don't mind carrying a Wiimote around (and don't have a Samsung phone, grumble grumble) there are a few apps that will let you use that as a Bluetooth controller.  Personally, I'd like to see someone make something like the Rockfire Vestri, with a Bluetooth transmitter and a keychain.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2010, 10:17:57 AM »

Android Playstation emulator, you say?  Please, details.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »

Psx4droid, on the App Store.  Costs about half a pizza and doesn't seem to have the greatest continuing support, so I'm cautious, but it's really hard to resist the idea of having a portable versions of Strider 2 and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

There are free versions of most of the other consoles, though, unless you want to pay a couple bucks for the ability to savestate through games like a pansy.  Also there are iPhone versions of all of these if you're willing to bypass the Big Brother mall and possibly get your phone bricked.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »

The Realook is nice.  It's the first "invisible" screen protector that actually is.  Also, it doesn't feel like trying to swipe over a piece of gum.  The only thing really is that it's an absolute bitch to install without trapping at least a few dust grains under there, and they can produce a (very slight) refracting effect and probably won't be magically pushed out over time like on the gummy screens.  Once you've peeled it off to sponge up dirt about thirteen dozen times though, it will probably last the lifetime of the phone itself.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »

Man I don't know what the last update fixed but my battery lasts a goddam lifetime now.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »

Hey cool LA's got 4G that should make my brief marooning at LAX more bearable.

Or would if it wasn't hella unstable.  :whoops:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2010, 07:56:17 AM »

So one of my gripes about my new phone that I had attributed to Android is the fact that it leaks memory like Ronald Reagan post-Presidency.  I basically had to turn the phone off and on every three days or so to keep it from crashing.

Well yesterday I found out that the Epic is unique in the Galaxy S line in that you can blissfully turn off Samsung's custom UI without having to root or anything - you just tell it to stop fucking launching and it stops fucking launching.  When I reset with the stock UI yesterday I had 160 MB available.  Now I have... 160 MB available.

tl;dr Samsung can kiss my ass.  It doesn't make it any better that I'm still running 2.1 because they have to take months to hack in a bunch of shit that I'm going to have to hack back out.

EDIT: Whoops, speak of the Devil.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9