Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: You Can Hear Me How?  (Read 17542 times)

Nickasummers

• Beep
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: You Can Hear Me How?
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »

You can never get them for the with-contract price without a contract, but depending on the phone you can sometimes get them for less than the "without contract" price without a contract. I distinctly remember seeing a $350 evo with no contract not long after I got mine a couple years ago. I guess, given the fact that I can't find anything like that now for a new evo, it may have been a refurb and i may be mistaken.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »

Although Brentai specifically is anti-T-mobile, I think it's worth pointing out that T-mobile is the only carrier to lower your monthly bill if you bring your own phone, as opposed to every other carrier who says their monthly price subsidizes your phone but then doesn't give you a discount if you don't take the subsidy.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »

MetroPCS

It's like T-Mobile before they took that money.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »

Another service to consider? Credo Mobile votes and gives money to progressive causes, and they seem to be the only place offering just a data plan for $30. With a phone plan it's about $70 total, which is more or less what you can get from other carriers. And they have the Galaxy S II and are getting the Galaxy S III, both of which are pretty sweet.

Metro PCS has unlimited talk, text and data for $55, month-to-month. Their phone selection is both lacking and unsubsidized, but month-to-month is always pretty sweet.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2012, 09:02:56 PM »

Well, anyway, fuck it; it turns out that if you don't want to take the increasingly pitiful subsidies for new phones, you don't really have to sign a contract with anyone for service, so for now I'm just gonna coast along on what I have until something that isn't T-Mobile gets surgery for its RCI.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I wound up.

Are Cricket and Virgin available in your area?  They both offer pay-as-you-go.  My fiancee's happy with Cricket.  Virgin uses Sprint's network, which I would count as a plus since I've had an overall good experience with Sprint service, but if you're not then that would probably be a strike against them.  (Appears that Cricket uses Sprint's 3G, too.)

Another service to consider? Credo Mobile votes and gives money to progressive causes, and they seem to be the only place offering just a data plan for $30.

Oh right, that's the company that used to publish Tom Tomorrow online but then became a phone company.

They appear to be on Sprint's network as well.  But they don't offer a prepaid plan.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »

MetroPCS has shockingly good coverage for my area but it looks like getting a compatible phone with their service involves going back in time to the last decade, so hm.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2012, 06:40:09 AM »

You don't want a smartphone with anything but the big four.  The smaller carriers all lease low-priority, low-coverage network access from the big ones.  You compare Virgin Mobile's coverage map to Sprint's, you find the exact same thing but a lot smaller, and in situations where towers are getting overloaded, the actual Sprint lines get in first.

I'm on Sprint, I like Sprint, I don't know what your beef is with Sprint.  But if you're not going Sprint, just go Verizon and grab the 4 gig plan.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2012, 07:22:58 AM »

Sprint does have shit poor coverage in my state but other than that working with their internal reps when I sold cellphones for them soured me to the entire company. They were the type of company who I'd call them to do an activation for a new customer and they'd put me on hold for an hour.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2012, 07:39:55 AM »

I see cheap phones without contracts all the time.

They're sold on Kijiji/Craigslist after people steal them from us by creating fake accounts. Which is of course the reason I have a job.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »

As jerked around as I feel by Sprint in other areas, I do appreciate that they've let me exit my contract with a minimum of harrassment.  I've heard some horror stories about people from Verizon and Ma Bell thinking they could get away with not renewing months in advance without being robocalled to shit.

Having worked for Sprint, here's some insight on the topic of Sprint in general;

Most of Sprint's service issues are entirely related to their network. They're a CDMA carrier like Verizon is, and CDMA has the disadvantage of being naturally shitty for Voice. Verizon gets around it by having an assload of towers, everywhere, but CDMA data is a lot more stable and consistent because of the nature of the format. Data has to piggyback on GSM, which is why they were stuck with 2g until Sprint and Verizon were half-way to 4g data. Sprint has a preferred roaming agreement, though, so if you think Verizon would provide better service, throw your phone into roam only for a few days and see how you like your voice service. There's only one other major CDMA carrier in the US, Verizon, and a few minor ones based on the city you live in - MetroPCS and Cricket probably being the notable ones. All the other CDMA carriers are just wholly owned subsidiaries of Sprint or Verizon.

re: Contracts, Sprint's been sued a few times over contract renewal and they mostly hate their customers anyway. Sprint's repeatedly gotten into the spotlight for dropping huge numbers of customers from their service for abusing service credits or roaming too much, so somebody not renewing their contract (esp. if you've called and complained a few times) is not really a big deal to them. Sprint is a budget carrier by any other name - their plans are much cheaper than their competitors and they offer "local plans" for "urban areas" that are insanely cheap for how feature heavy they are. They will pretty much always have a niche as the best of the budget carriers, so they don't have to worry about retaining 150-200 dollar/mo contracts like Verizon and AT&T do.

Also stay away from T-Mobile, they got really shitty after their merger with AT&T was blocked by the FCC and they have not been upgrading their network. My contract can't fucking end soon enough.

Sprint does have shit poor coverage in my state but other than that working with their internal reps when I sold cellphones for them soured me to the entire company. They were the type of company who I'd call them to do an activation for a new customer and they'd put me on hold for an hour.

As a former internal rep, I...

This is actually a problem with every cellular carrier. They spend as little money as possible on hiring employees to maximize profits, and if it's a busy period - say, 6pm on a friday - you can look at an hour+ hold time. If you actually get on the line with them, most sprint reps wash out after 90 days, so chances are statistically high that you're talking to a new employee. Sprint's billing system is incredibly difficult to navigate and activation is a multi step, pain in the ass process. It's even worse if they're number porting. And if you worked for a reseller, they can also hit problems with used phones - fucking huge ones. CDMA doesn't have sim cards as you probably know, so if an MSID is in use it can be an incredible pain in the ass to free up a phone for a new user.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:44 AM »

My issues with Sprint are half contracts being rewritten right in my face (I was eligible for a new phone after a year 13 months ago, and I was eligible for a new phone after 18 months 7 months ago) and half being promised service improvements that never happened, even though I work right next to a major headquarters.

Like I said, it's Obama versus Romney; I feel so let down by the current flavor that I'm tempted to take an alternative that I know is going to be much worse in every way.  It's a struggle between my bitter emotions and that little voice in my head that tells me I'm being a dumbass.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »

My issues with Sprint are half contracts being rewritten right in my face (I was eligible for a new phone after a year 13 months ago, and I was eligible for a new phone after 18 months 7 months ago) and half being promised service improvements that never happened, even though I work right next to a major headquarters.

Like I said, it's Obama versus Romney; I feel so let down by the current flavor that I'm tempted to take an alternative that I know is going to be much worse in every way.  It's a struggle between my bitter emotions and that little voice in my head that tells me I'm being a dumbass.

They should contact you whenever your contract changes. You have 14 days to cancel your contract obligation-free. They have to let you out. Even after the 14 days, if you file a claim in small claims court they'll usually settle for the value of your ETF plus your court costs. ETFs aren't legal and the carriers know it, as they've lost every court case that's ever come to their feet about it. They don't fight them anymore.

This is applicable to every cell carrier, btw, so if you guys get stuck in a shitty contract just wait for them to change the terms. Most carriers do it twice a year or more.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2012, 02:33:37 AM »

wait wait wait

i get to keep my current plan

and upgrade to unlimited 4g data for no extra charge

what the fuck is the catch, at&t

(inb4 the catch is that i'm on at&t)
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Chuckdumper

• Untested
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »

I just switched from Sprint to tmobile....its probably the best thing i have ever done! Will save me over 50 bucks a month, i use the 4g monthly plan at 30 bucks...its the best deal this side of the atlantic. It was tough giving up my galaxy s iii and a fabled dream of lte speeds. But the truth is hspa+ speeds with tmo are faster than at&t lte in my area...Was sad to give up my gsiii and its super cool white samsung earbuds, but well worth it. The only real downside is you need your own phone, which i found out are not cheap when subsidized.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »

I can't tell if chuck is a human or the most profoundly well-targeted spam bot to date.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »

Maybe he's an astronaut who came back from the future to warn us of the impending Sprint apocalypse.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2012, 01:44:57 PM »

Hm -- single IP address, plausible E-Mail address, the product he links to is in the middle of talking (accurately) about a completely different service...yeah, I'm leaning spambot but I'm not quite confident enough to quarantine him yet.

Hey Chuck, mind passing a Turing test for me?  What brings you to the forums?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »

Hey Chuck, how do you feel about T-Mobile stealing hundreds of dollars from you?

(By accident, because they were really trying to steal hundreds of dollars from your mother?)

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »

No. Ask him to try to pretend to be a woman, that way we'll have a fair comparison as both participants in the Turing test will be trying to make us believe that they are something they are not.

It's also very possible this is some kind of human spambot. An advanced, un-automated spamming attack. If only we had a name for such a person.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »

My inclination is "bot" because no, T-Mobile smartphone plans are not $50/month cheaper than Sprint.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9