Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: D&D 4e  (Read 3293 times)

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: D&D 4e
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »

Kind of eager to know more about the setting before I committed too much to a particular class or race, but pencil me in for something in the controller category, although I could switch to defender if we really need one.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 05:48:38 AM »

I just generated a dragonborn wizzard (with a pointy hat and everything)

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 06:31:21 AM »

I can be a face if needed, don't see anyone being a face.
And a leader? You are minus a leader type.
I could be a bard or cleric.
But I can play any class with no problems and I don't complain.
So once we hear what is needed, I'll plug the holes in the party.

[spoiler]It may or may not be a good idea to let me be a face. Just ask Envy[/spoiler]

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 08:39:33 AM »

Fuck you lottel.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »

Any good Face has left a trail of battered, weeping corpses in his wake, all drawn from his own comrades.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »

What about a shattered world and partially broken reality?
 :nyoro~n:
Man, I miss that character...

Ridley

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »

I don't think worrying about a face is so much necessary, since I know I'm all charismatic for being a feylock and I suspect that most of us are pretty willing to face up.  If you ask me we proooobably need a controller less than a defender especially with a rogue in the party vis a vis having someone to freaking flank with to get sneak attack off, but I figure if we have good teamwork it won't be toooooooooo horrible not to have a defender but we're kind of high on squishy at the moment and lacking a good brick wall.

Rogue and Warlock are between them about as facey as they come really imho

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 03:24:02 PM »

Face is defined by motivations, thinking patterns and actions, not class or stats.

Hell, 4e is about as face-friendly as they come: did you train Diplomacy or Bluff? You can Face at the basic level.

Now, whether or not you can sell your party into slavery to get them into the dungeon while you deal face-to-face with the slavers is another thing. And come out richer.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »

I don't think worrying about a face is so much necessary, since I know I'm all charismatic for being a feylock and I suspect that most of us are pretty willing to face up.  If you ask me we proooobably need a controller less than a defender especially with a rogue in the party vis a vis having someone to freaking flank with to get sneak attack off, but I figure if we have good teamwork it won't be toooooooooo horrible not to have a defender but we're kind of high on squishy at the moment and lacking a good brick wall.

Rogue and Warlock are between them about as facey as they come really imho

Well, we still haven't heard from Malikial (or if Envy's playing—but if he is, seeker's a controller, unless he hasn't committed to that), but if Malikial's playing shaman like you suggested, we actually would have the Leader we need. Regardless, Lottel and I can play defenders and/or defender-leaning classes.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Ridley

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »

Face is defined by motivations, thinking patterns and actions, not class or stats.

Hell, 4e is about as face-friendly as they come: did you train Diplomacy or Bluff? You can Face at the basic level.

Now, whether or not you can sell your party into slavery to get them into the dungeon while you deal face-to-face with the slavers is another thing. And come out richer.

And my point is that the characters who are already statted have face-like characteristics and the stats to back them up.  They're face-y.  And anyone else who wants to can be too, but I don't think there's necessarily need for "a" face.  It's something everyone in the party can manage under the right circumstances, and shouldn't be something that only one person gets to do/feels responsible for.  Certainly it's not necessarily to pick class/background at this point based on "well we might need a face" because we aren't particularly lacking in that department.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »

I'm just sayin' that if you want a guy to roll Diplomacy, all he's gotta do is tic off that ability as trained at chargen.

Now if you want a guy who talks people outta shit and makes the DM improvise...

But your point is noted, sir.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »

Now if you want a guy who talks people outta shit and makes the DM improvise...

then play 3.5 edition.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »

Alright guys, I'm sorry if this is a little late and I'm sorry if this makes anyone mad, AND I DO plan on running something in the near future, BUT I have almost zero experience with 4E and I don't want to run something terribly simply because I don't know the rules well enough. I'm going to get into some one shot stuff with JD and kayumi, and who knows, maybe it'll only be a week or so before I'm comfortable with the system and we can pick this up beginning of February.

Okay, that was rambling. Basically, I haven't played the system or DMed it and I don't want my first experiment into the system to be something you guys are banking your FUN trust on. Originally this was going to be a game with Squizzle, JD, Kayumi, and William, people who'd let me grow just fine in DMing this new system and even help me along the way, now most of those people are gone and its more of a conventional group and I don't know if I can do a straight up game justice...

Hey, if you all wanted to play shadowrun I could have something thrown together by the end of the week, but I don't know enough of the 4e rules off hand to be able to comfortably tell you you'll all have fun in my DND game.

In conclusion, I'm going to play this system in some one offs, ask JD and kayumi to learn me some stuff, and get back to you guys. We'll work it out soon, I hope. I'm sorry about this, but I think it'll be better in the long run.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 12:15:47 AM »

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, but I know where you're coming from. DMing an unfamiliar system is a challenge at the best of times, and if you're not confident you're going to be able to take the time and steps you need, it can turn into a real catastrophe.

Having said that, though, 4th Edition is pretty easy to run even if you aren't familiar with it, particularly with WotC's tools and GameTable. I hope you decide to give this another shot before the end of summer!
Signature:

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 06:12:59 AM »

Joxam: Let me know if you need any help with 4E.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »

4e is easy

1d20 for everything but damage

if it's high, the players win
Pages: 1 [2]