Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: J Project Archives  (Read 2093 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
J Project Archives
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »

EDIT: DOWNLOAD LINK ON TOP OF PAGE FOR THE LAZY

Download J Project Here

Hi! I'm Friday. You may remember me from such games as Apocalypse Trail, Apocalypse itself, This Game Has Too Many Fucking Hoses and Evil Fires In It, and Revenge of the Chompers 2: The unmarked kill ceiling.

I'm here today to post up my shit that I've been working on since Knorpse 2 ended, because I didn't want to wait 6 months or whatever to use what I had learned from contributing!

So for all those people who aren't completely burned out/fed up with Knytt and it's horrible control scheme and enemy types, (all two of you) you may enjoy playing this.

What's that, you say? Friday makes horrible shit that is way too hard for a man or woman? Never fear! I have included three, yes, THREE, difficulties! And I have had a different playtester beta test each!

Normal: Zara
Hard: Brentai
Expert: Niku

What's this? You want to know what the difference is between the difficulties? FEAR NOT, GENTLE READER, FOR I HAVE INCLUDED A SPECIAL FAQ JUST FOR YOU HEY THAT RHYMED

Q: omfg Juni is yellow
A: Yeah.

Q: why is Juni yellow did you pee on her
A: a littl -- I mean, uh, because I needed her to stand out more. I went with yellow in particular because it's a reference to F Project, which this game is loosely based on.

Q: F Project? What's that?
A: Self-insert fantasy fiction that I wrote several years ago on the pyoko boards. Lots of other pyokites were included as characters as well. I'd link it, but pyoko is no more.

Q: Well, fuck. I never read F Project so now I won't understand the story.
A: You might miss a few subtle references, but the story is pretty much all there. You're not missing anything big, trust me.

Q: Holy shiiiiiiiit I started with like all the powerups
A: yeah, this isn't a game about exploration or a metroidvania of any type. It's a linear action platformer. There's nothing to find. Just get from point A to B.

Q: omg I just noticed I have everything except the hologram why
A: because I fucking hate the hologram.

Q: So, what are the differences between the difficulties?
A: Expert is what I originally made. It's tuned for someone like me or Niku to enjoy. It's pretty damn hard. Hard Mode has toned down areas and a few more save points. Normal Mode has further toned down areas and a save point almost every screen.

Q: Help! I don't know what difficulty I should play on!
A: Do you hate having to repeat challenges? Then Normal Mode is for you. With maybe a few exceptions, you shouldn't have to repeat anything once you pass it. Don't get me wrong, Normal Mode is not "Easy Mode" despite being the Easiest Mode available. I called them what I did for a reason. Normal Mode still has quite a few challenging screens, especially toward the end.

Q: What about Hard Mode?
A: Well, if you don't overly mind repeating screens as a punishment for dying, and are looking for a bit more challenge than Normal offers, go with Hard Mode.

Q: And Expert?
A: Are you Niku? If you're Niku, play on Expert. Except you already did, so nobody really should be playing on this mode. Not the first time, anyway.

Q: Help, I still can't decide between Normal/Hard or Hard/Expert.
A: I'd go with the easier option if you're not sure. Just my advice. I would hate for someone to get stuck on Hard Mode and never complete the full game because they didn't want to go back through on Normal. On the other hand, replaying on a harder difficulty feels less like "redoing the same thing over again" (at least for me)

Q: Well, where can I download this?
A: Here.

Q: IT'S NOT WORKING
A: Do you have Knytt stories?

Q: What's that?
A: who the fuck are you?

Q: I dunno some guy who randomly came to this board and randomly clicked this thread
A: go away

Q: I'm a regular and it's still not working.
A: uhhhhh PM me and I'll see if I can't get you a working copy?

Q: Help! I'm stuck on some screen/part!
A: Shoot me a PM or msg on IRC. I don't mind lending a hand.

Feedback is appreciated! Unless it's simply "I fucking hated it". I want constructive feedback. Also if you liked something, let me know! Positive feedback helps me to improve too and also makes me feel good!

Thanks in advance anyone who has feedback!

EDIT2: Apologies for the size of the download (40 megs). I included quite a bit of music, since I think we're all sick of the default knytt music by now.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: J Project Archives
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 04:40:18 PM »

THERE WERE TWO OTHER DIFFICULTY LEVELS!?
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:50:55 PM »

Actually there are several hidden modes

Romo Mode is basically just a park and you chase a ball

Frocto Mode is the same except every screen includes bread

Kazz Mode is just that picture of his ass for 500 screens as you walk to the left

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:51:30 PM »

I played this and you should too.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 06:14:34 PM »

Frocto Mode is the same except every screen includes bread

:justasplanned:
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:07:43 PM »

Juni is yellow because she got Top Spin

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »

yes

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 12:30:32 AM »

Too bad Top Spin is fucking useless against every single enemy in this level.

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:56:47 AM »

Huh? Friday made a game?

(a dozen-or-so attempts to pass Geo later...)

:ohgod: WHY? WHY WAS I PROGRAMMED TO FEEL PAIN?

Blech, time for bed. Sure to have nightmares of spikes, fire, and little plant dudes.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 02:01:23 AM »

F Project was really cool, so this finally convinced me to actually play Knytt Stories for the first time. I'm, uh, not really good at it yet. But it's fun, and I hope I can progress a decent way into it.

[spoiler]So, is that RPG Maker game ever getting finished, or what?[/spoiler]

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 08:57:05 AM »

I did not expect any first timers!

Uh, the D key opens and closes your umbrella. When you get to the vents with the shimmering air currents, you can use it there to float!

[spoiler]No, probably not. Funny you should ask, though, I was looking at it just the other day. Mostly just thinking "wow, I spent a long fucking time working on this."[/spoiler]

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »

Luckily, I played through the Knytt Stories tutorial first, so I understood the basic controls. I wish there was an OSX version of Knytt so I didn't have to boot Windows up, and I couldn't get it to work with Wine... ah well.

[spoiler]You really should release what you have, just so SOMETHING comes of it.[/spoiler]

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't remember if there was a part in there that taught you how to use air currents. Just making sure.

[spoiler]haha man it is so embarrassing though especially because i don't have the excuse that i made it when i was young, just younger[/spoiler]

Rosencrantz

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »

[spoiler]Ah well. About once a year or so, I do a little bit of work on an RPG maker project about me and my friends that we started the summer right after high school. There is probably not one original idea in it, but it's full of good memories. But anyway, don't let me disrupt your thread.[/spoiler]

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »

[spoiler]LASERS ARE YOUR FRIENDS THEY JUST WANT TO SAY HI SAY HI JUNI[/spoiler]
:;_;:

Oh yeah, and [spoiler]laser pole vault[/spoiler]. Can I expect giant apple/cherry things to fall up and make me explode next?

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »

:nyoro~n:

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »

Okay so I think this is a vast improvement on what you did before, but then I played on Normal so what do I know.

Anyway there are some things that bugged me. I am not going to spoiler this out of laziness so skip my post if you want to go into this game untainted.

1. One time there was a text box in a boss room past the first one or two squares. That's kind of annoying. The time it happened there wasn't anything terribly important under it, but it was distracting!
2. I don't like when people interchangeably use tiles are background and foreground. This happens all the time, and every time it throws me off. Because the areas are pretty self-contained (and nicely done, I'll add), I always immediately know, but the fact that it can change depending on what part of the game I am in bugs the shit out of me.
3. I don't like when the floor is invisible, like in the last area. I don't think it'd be that hard to just stick a floor there and color the parts where spikes come out different or whatever.
4. I don't like when things are noclimb interchangeably, or without expressly stated reasoning. Again, I can figure it out and just be like "well okay" but it's nice when you can build up repeated imagery, so the player sees a block and thinks "I can't climb that" or "I can't walk through that" etc.

You're not the only person guilty of doing the latter 3 so I guess this is just like "hey guys pls dont! <3 yyler". I don't think it'd fly in any other game than Knytt, really. But otherwise I thought this was really fun, which is why I consider it a vast improvement on what came before.

Like I said though, the areas themselves I thought were nicely designed. I mean, the ones that were designed, because I don't think there's that much in the way of aesthetics you can do for a laser field tunnel. But like, the initial area? That ruled. Also kind of wondering what horrible thing you're going to do for floaty spike tunnels in the future D:

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »

OK, cool. Thanks for the feedback. The game isn't different on the harder difficulties, (just harder) so your criticism is valid across all three.

Also kind of wondering what horrible thing you're going to do for floaty spike tunnels in the future D:

:nyoro~n:

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 01:16:46 AM »

So, I think I finished it!

I'm not sure since [spoiler]I cleared the time-pressure hurdles of doom[/spoiler], then went on to [spoiler]run across a couple screens of serene sunrise[/spoiler] and finally [spoiler]into the shadow of some maternal-looking statue that declared "You Win!" after the white-out[/spoiler]. It'd probably make more sense if I read all the way through F Project, but I didn't so it was a bit of a mind-fuck ending. But hey! Game!

Overall, I felt the same sense of adversity I got from F Project, so I guess that was neat. Needs more DU thunder guns in the sequel, I say.