Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 38

Author Topic: ¡Science!  (Read 61552 times)

Uh Oh E Low

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: ¡Science!
« Reply #240 on: September 08, 2009, 01:35:46 AM »

the functional problem with this 'monopole' is that you require an external field to be applied to it before it goes from dipole to monopole, so the quantities required for warp engines, time machines, railguns, and closed timelike curves are impossible to do with this,
oh and any computational application of it is moot because it requires a strong external magnetic field to behave the way it does, which i assume isnt a good thing to have in a computer even if it is quantum

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:50 AM »

o damn i better stop building that time machine then

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 09, 2009, 04:32:40 PM »

Scientists levitate a 3-week-old mouse with a magnetic field.

Quote from: Yuanming Liu of Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
The researchers first levitated a young mouse, just three-week-old and weighing 10 grams. It appeared agitated and disoriented, seemingly trying to hold on to something.

"It actually kicked around and started to spin, and without friction, it could spin faster and faster, and we think that made it even more disoriented"
In related news, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (which somehow didn't get burnt down! Yay!) found the most clueless scientist.

They decided to mildly sedate the next mouse they levitated, which seemed content with floating.
My name is Scientist, the one who is free from the puerile trappings of Ethics. Behold my true form and despair!

Uh Oh E Low

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 09, 2009, 04:47:15 PM »

Scientists levitate a 3-week-old mouse with a magnetic field.

Quote from: Yuanming Liu of Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
The researchers first levitated a young mouse, just three-week-old and weighing 10 grams. It appeared agitated and disoriented, seemingly trying to hold on to something.

"It actually kicked around and started to spin, and without friction, it could spin faster and faster, and we think that made it even more disoriented"
In related news, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (which somehow didn't get burnt down! Yay!) found the most clueless scientist.

They decided to mildly sedate the next mouse they levitated, which seemed content with floating.
My name is Scientist, the one who is free from the puerile trappings of Ethics. Behold my true form and despair!
this is really old, theyve been levitating frogs in high tesla magnetic fields for at least 5 years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vyB-O5i6E

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 09, 2009, 04:50:10 PM »

call me when they can levitate humans

Uh Oh E Low

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 09, 2009, 04:56:09 PM »

call me when they can levitate humans
just a heads up, they can. but nobody really wants to be put inside of a powerful magnet. or be legally responsible for the potential consequences of putting a human inside of a powerful magnet.

gravity is a pretty weak force compared to electromagnetism or THE LAW

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 09, 2009, 04:57:29 PM »

The significance here is that mice are more similar to us biologically. They're not primates by any stretch of the imagination, but we have more in common with mice than with amphibians, orthopterans, and arachnids... last time I checked, anyway.

I remember hearing something on TV a few years ago how we'd need a magnet powered by enough electricity to power a small city to float your grandmother, so keep waiting I guess. Probably easier to just pull a Solid Snake and grab hold of a Sikorsky Cypher.

Uh Oh E Low

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 09, 2009, 04:59:50 PM »

we have magnets and other devices that use enough electricity to power small cities though. but nobody wants to really go into them or be exposed to them because of radiation concerns

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 09, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »

hay guys how about them half-tesla magnets in them mri gantries these go to eleven!

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 09, 2009, 09:04:22 PM »

I monopole'd your mom.

Later, she described the experience as "pleasure, but lacking that little bit of pain i usually enjoy"

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 09, 2009, 09:04:43 PM »

and then she turned into a giant robot

isn't science fun

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 10, 2009, 05:53:27 AM »

I thought this board was LESS childish.
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 18, 2009, 07:28:40 AM »

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 18, 2009, 09:46:53 AM »

So how are they so sure they're looking at an adult skeleton?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2009, 09:52:58 AM »

So how are they so sure they're looking at an adult skeleton?

Pretty sure they detailed that in the article dude. They counted the rings, checked the way the bones had fused etc.

Determining the approximate age of vertebrate creatures from their skeletons is not a new or complicated science.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 18, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »

Researchers also took pains to confirm that Raptorex was nearly fully grown: They cut through a fossilized femur bone to check the growth rings, and concluded that Raptorex was 6 years old, nearing maturity. The way that various bones were fused together supported that assessment.

Oh, there it is.  I couldn't be arsed to parse the whole article just to find the one paragraph where they answered it.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 18, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »

I have that same problem with sentences. :hurr:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2009, 12:59:49 AM »

AIDS vaccine protects 32% of trial volunteers.

It lowered the risk of HIV infection by 32 percent among 16,000 heterosexual Thai volunteers who had no special risk of AIDS infection, the U.S. and Thai government researchers said.

:OoO:

The article leaves the reader to fill in the blanks on how exactly this study was conducted, but how did they manage to round up 16 thousand Thai people who were that desperate?  Especially since the stereotype of Thailand is that you can't flip a quarter in public there without a throng of professionals of every conceivable gender trying to sell themselves to you.

Also, you know, the implication here is that about 10,000 people just went and got themselves infected with HIV.  Boffo.

Crigit

• Untested
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 24, 2009, 11:15:29 AM »

AIDS vaccine protects 32% of trial volunteers.

Also, you know, the implication here is that about 10,000 people just went and got themselves infected with HIV.  Boffo.

That's not quite how these studies work. They didn't get a bunch of people to be voluntarily infected. Rather, say you'd expect x number of a randomly selected group of people would be infected after some amount of time. What they found in this study was that, for a group inoculated with this cocktail, the actual number of infected persons was x-(x*0.32). That is, 32% less than the expected number of infected people.
From the article
"We had 74 infections in the placebo group and 51 in the vaccine group," Dr. Jerome Kim, a U.S. Army colonel at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Maryland, who helped lead the trial, said by telephone.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 38