Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 38

Author Topic: ¡Science!  (Read 61580 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: ¡Science!
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2008, 07:51:45 AM »

:mahboi: This poop may yield valuable biological data, maybe even a cure for cancer or AIDS!
::(:
:mahboi: Oh, fine.
:mahboi: This poop is what ALL true warriors strive for!

clutch

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2008, 09:20:07 AM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2008, 10:17:32 AM »

Pun intended.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2008, 11:16:16 PM »

...but is it art?

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2008, 11:33:56 PM »

I'm dying to know what field of science Classic deems worthy of the approval of his massive intellect.

"The problem is most people with HIV live in sub-Saharan Africa and this is hugely expensive, you have to find a matched donor, and it's a pretty severe and painful operation.

So the South Park episode was pretty much dead on.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2008, 11:46:55 PM »

I'm dying to know what field of science Classic deems worthy of the approval of his massive intellect.

Computer Science. 'Cuz videogames. :serious: Q.E.D.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2008, 05:53:27 AM »

Miniature nuclear power plants.

Further reading indicates that these will not be online soon and that the company may be sketchy/vapourware.

Still though, got me reading about alternate power sources like RTGs and Sterling Engines for hours. Good times.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2008, 06:21:26 AM »

The idea isn't bad, or unique, as Toshiba should already be fielding their own.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2008, 01:27:33 PM »

Scientists get Half Life jokes at CERN.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Spaco

• LLC
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »

I've always wished I were powered by chlorophyll. Which is ironic as I spend most of my life in dark holes in front of computer screens.

I'm going outside today.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2008, 07:45:57 AM »

New technology could make water currents power the world.

Quote from: Telegraph
A revolutionary device that can harness energy from slow-moving rivers and ocean currents could provide enough power for the entire world, scientists claim.

A "field" of cylinders built on the sea bed over a 1km by 1.5km area, and the height of a two-storey house, with a flow of just three knots, could generate enough power for around 100,000 homes. Just a few of the cylinders, stacked in a short ladder, could power an anchored ship or a lighthouse.

Systems could be sited on river beds or suspended in the ocean. The scientists behind the technology, which has been developed in research funded by the US government, say that generating power in this way would potentially cost only around 3.5p per kilowatt hour, compared to about 4.5p for wind energy and between 10p and 31p for solar power. They say the technology would require up to 50 times less ocean acreage than wave power generation.

The system, conceived by scientists at the University of Michigan, is called Vivace, or "vortex-induced vibrations for aquatic clean energy".

"If we could harness 0.1 per cent of the energy in the ocean, we could support the energy needs of 15 billion people. In the English Channel, for example, there is a very strong current, so you produce a lot of power."

Their work, funded by the US Department of Energy and the US Office of Naval Research, is published in the current issue of the quarterly Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering.

Between this and the solar technology breakthrough @ OSU, begun these Big Ten energy wars have.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »

Eh.  Hate to be a killjoy, but I'll believe it when it happens.  The concept of a Tidal Harness has been around for decades and we've done exactly jack shit with it and kept burning oil happily.

There's an interesting historic lesson you can take from Hero of Alexandria.  One of his inventions was basically a steam engine.  It was a hollow sphere with two spouts pointing in opposing directions, suspended by a bar off the ground.  When water was poured into it and a fire was put under it, the water would boil and rush out as steam from the nozzles, causing it to spin.  Hero, by all other counts a genius, never went any further with it and it was basically just considered a toy and curiosity; the "leap" from this phenomenon to harnessing it for power was never made.  A half-step away from steam power, thousands of years ago.

A theory I heard that's both fascinating and a bit grim is that it wasn't that he didn't realize the potential; but that he saw no need for it.  His civilization at the time had enough slave labor to build and power any work of architecture imagineable.  With all the manpower, there was no want for energy.

A superior energy source, or even just a superior method of doing something, can be completely ignored if things are currently copacetic.  Until whatever's been propping people up runs out entirely and the panic sets in.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2008, 03:22:26 PM »

Some hero.

::D:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2008, 04:27:02 PM »

To be fair, the steam engine is not a superior energy source compared to human labor.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »

You could have just said, "aeolipile."

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2008, 07:59:07 PM »

Japanese neuroscientists have developed a method to reproduce images inside a person's mind on a computer monitor.  Further development of the technology could "make it possible to view other people’s dreams while they sleep," "read a person’s thoughts with some degree of accuracy", and someday even "read feelings and complicated emotional states".
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2008, 08:04:28 PM »

Jobs to announce the iDream @ MacWorld - Reynolds (REY) stock @ record high - Tin foil @ all-time high demand - Does this make me look fat?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2008, 08:11:46 PM »

Somehow I feel like this is going to all wind up with me in jail.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »

Finally!  We'll soon be able to construct a machine that will be able to prove an accused guilty with their own thoughts!  Yay thought crime!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 38