Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 189

Author Topic: What the fuck?  (Read 297946 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: What the fuck?
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2008, 07:34:22 AM »

Once you throw out the "Killing people is wrong" assumption then there's really no point in having any kind of moral system at all.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »

Sure there is.

Stealing from someone, hurting someone, I mean, those things are bad because they cause suffering.  Killing, well, that's about the only thing you can do to someone where they absolutely will not care.

Their relatives and friends would probably be upset, though, so, you know... you've got your work cut out for you, if you know what I mean.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »

Seems more a question of defining people, and defining murder. Mutually consensual killing is peaches with me. The issue here is whether or not children can give consent for something like that. Considering that they're not allowed to for pretty much anything else, I'd call it a "fuck no" for this particular place and time. I hesitate to bring it up because it will tempt someone into swinging it around into an abortion argument.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »

I had an argument with LD over an episode of SVU.  In it, a baby was diagnosed with Tay Sachs, an incurable disease that would have caused it a long and painful death by age five.  She poisoned her baby, killing it.  I thought it was the right thing to do, but LD thought it was awful.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2008, 10:23:07 AM »

Mutually consensual killing

I am not entirely sure that participating in such an activity doesn't automatically discount you from the "OF SOUND MIND" group I assume you need to be part of to have your decisions carry any legal weight. All I'm sayin' is it seems pretty freaking nuts to me. EDIT: It occurs to me you were talking about euthanasia rather than legalized "blood sports." I would agree except I have recently become paranoid of fraud.

Words

Showtime and the creators of Dexter would like you to ponder this while watching their DVDs. It is important to them. Important enough... TO ADVERTISE FOR!

... I guess that's scary! :doit:

But in the meantime, it codifying the "don't kill extended family" instinct and expands it to a wider group so that you can form a society seems to have great benefits. Even if your warrior culture demands you enslave and routinely slaughter the population of a combination slave/vassal people it is apparently more reasonable than living under the control of "the darkies".  :fail: I mean, "the Persians!"

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2008, 12:10:43 PM »

Why do you guys keep feeding him?

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »

I'm absolutely against murder. I just don't think that because it's possible to do something you should ever be forced to.

As to Sharkey's point, it's precisely because kids aren't allowed to make such decisions that it should be up to the parents. That way the bad ideas of the parents cause incidents like this for the rest of us to avoid.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm a republican and government is bad stay off my lawn.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2008, 03:06:57 PM »

I'm absolutely against murder.

Hey, woah.  That's a bit radical for these parts, don't you think?  Reel it in a bit.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »

Who the fuck are you people to say their traditions are invalid?

I see no downside to morons killing their probably moron kids.

You admonish me because I judge a tradition, then you turn around and judge an entire family you've never even met.

I don't give the benefit of the doubt to a tradition that relies on unexamined faith and reveals itself as objectively terrible at the slightest hint of research. I'm not saying the family is blameless, far from it, but I acknowledge the possibility that all they've ever known is a septic fog of enforced ignorance. It may be satisfying to say "good riddance to dangerous idiots", but where the living may not want to change, the dead cannot. Some might say this doesn't matter in the end. That may be the case.

I hesitate to bring it up because it will tempt someone into swinging it around into an abortion argument.

...I have this feeling you might be talking about me, but the thought hadn't even crossed my mind. One of these things is not like the other, I can tell that much.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »

The "probably morons" bit was a joke at their expense, albeit it was in poor taste considering the subject material.

As far as I can tell, you're the only one judging people.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2008, 05:16:34 PM »

I mean, "the Persians!"

Whatchoo say, honkey?  :MENDOZAAAAA:

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »

The "probably morons" bit was a joke at their expense, albeit it was in poor taste considering the subject material.

Okay. I, uh, I guess I missed the humor there. My bad?

As far as I can tell, you're the only one judging people.

I'll admit the possibility that this is what my opinion comes across as, even though I'm doing my best to make it clear that it's quite the opposite. My point is, good people can follow awful traditions, and condemning the latter should not mean condemning the former. So, judging people: not cool. I think we agree on that.

Now I can see what you're trying to say, that a tradition that lets a severely diabetic child die is nothing to get worked up over since it does the gene pool a favor. That's a perfectly legitimate point of view, compatible with sanity. I just hope you'll understand my reaction when part of your discourse appeared to include "these people are idiots anyway, it's no skin off anyone's nose". Because this same tradition that, uh, breeds out imperfections (man I understand your reluctance to use these words) could potentially let a non-deadly illness or accident cause certain amounts of unnecessary suffering while not helping out the gene pool at all.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2008, 07:42:43 PM »

Whatchoo say, honkey?

I'm just saying that by not allowing physically imperfect specimens to die of exposure, your culture can only decline from not being free, reasonable, or badass enough.
You can't argue with a beard like that. It's too AMERICAN. I'm sorry. Hollywood has spoken, and I must obey and parrot it. Because I am free. :>_>:

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2008, 08:42:13 PM »

You're silly Zed.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2008, 08:55:52 PM »

True.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »

Stories like this are why I never want to have children.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »

Police seized a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape, electrical and transparent tape, ribbons and a crystal paperweight from the students, who apparently intended to use them against the teacher, Tanner said.

I can't decide whether this is supposed to be a bad H-Game or a bad Sierra game.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2008, 01:19:10 PM »

I can't decide whether blame a bad H-Game or a bad Sierra game.

Talk Radio, on the video game scene since October 8th, 1992.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »

Apparently, I narrowly escaped being exploded over the Atlantic ocean two years ago.

No shit. I was on a flight from London Heathrow to Montreal in that timeframe.

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased about this development. I didn't realize my trip had been so badass.
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2008, 06:42:30 PM »

Should I go to jail if I fail to prevent someone else from dying?

I don't care to speak about issues of "should", but it is actually a crime to prevent somebody else from dying. It's called "gross negligence". This legally compels you to, among other things, administer CPR to a person in need of it if you know how. (Which may be an argument against learning CPR, depending on your personal moral outlook.)
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 189