Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 28831 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2010, 10:17:34 PM »

She's a sanctimonious mass murdering hypocritical sociopath painted as the good guy.

I'd be eternally grateful if you would share some prime examples. I've heard things about Janeway and I'm a bit interested, but not gung-ho interested enough to go watch an entire series.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2010, 10:25:33 PM »

Quote from: Memory Alpha
Tuvix was the result of a transporter accident on the USS Voyager, combining Lieutenant Tuvok, Neelix, and an orchid in 2372.

The accident was the conclusion to an away mission to collect some orchid samples. Only one molecular pattern rematerialized, and formed a healthy organism combining everything regarding Tuvok and Neelix, including organs, enzymes, and memories. According to the Doctor, Tuvix also possessed: "...Tuvok's sense of intellectual superiority, and Neelix's annoying ebullience." Despite repairs having just been made to the transporter, no fault could be found in the logs at the time of the accident.

It was Tuvix, the name the combined individual had given himself, who realized what had happened. The plant samples, which were also caught up in the matter stream and were also a part of Tuvix, contained lysosomal enzymes. Tuvix's research indicated that this could be an indicator of Symbiogenesis, where an organism reproduces by merging with a second species to produce a hybrid. This usually only occurs with microcellular organisms. Tuvix suggested that being deconstructed during beaming allowed the symbiogenesis enzymes of the plant to react to Neelix's and Tuvok's DNA in the matter stream, so only the single organism existed at the point of rematerialization. The theory turned out to be correct when two plants and the orchid were beamed up together, resulting in one plant arriving on Voyager.

It took the Doctor almost a month, but he found a way to reverse the accident, by using a radioactive isotope which would attach to the DNA strands of one of the merged species, but not the other. By beaming out the segregated DNA strands, the transporter would have the original DNA strands necessary to restore the two individuals.

Tuvix announced that he didn't want to die, feeling that he had just as much right to exist as any other being. He explained to Janeway that, while he did care about Tuvok and Neelix (regarding them as his 'parents'), this also gave him the will to live of two men, and he didn't want to die. He pleaded with Kes, among others, to speak to the Captain on his behalf. Kes persuaded Janeway, however, that the procedure was necessary, as she needed Tuvok and Neelix. Tuvix pleaded with the bridge crew to stop the Captain from "murdering" him, but eventually allowed the procedure to take place, saying that everyone would have to live with his death on their conscience, for which he was sorry, as they were all, in his eyes, good people, his friends.

However, the Doctor refused to perform the procedure; as a physician, he had sworn an oath to do no harm, and refused to take Tuvix's life, especially against his will. Janeway herself, therefore, performed the process. It was a success, and Tuvok and Neelix were restored, although Janeway was forced to live with the ethical conundrum around the difficult decision. (VOY: "Tuvix")

in before justifying murder
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2010, 04:15:18 AM »

Wow... now that's some embarrassingly bad writing.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2010, 08:25:11 AM »

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »

The Tuvix episode is probably the worst episode of the entire series.

No, I have to admit, Voyager is by far the worst Star Trek series ever made. I just don't think that makes it a bad show in general. It wasn't great and I'll never watch reruns of it, but it was something to watch when it was on and DS9 had ended.

I like that episode where the Doctor goes back to the Alpha Quadrant to perform a procedure on the programmer that made him.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »

The worst episode is the one where they break the warp ten barrier, and then Paris turns into a newt, and then the doctor fixes him AND THEY DON'T JUST GO BACK TO THE ALPHA QUADRANT AND THEN GET CURED BY THE DOCTOR. That is the worst episode.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2010, 11:06:28 PM »

"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »

Jesus, I had actually blocked out half of what made that episode so bad. Thanks.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »

I couldn't stomach more than 3 minutes of the review itself, so I don't want to know what's in that episode.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2010, 07:04:16 PM »

I just sat down and watched Year of Hell.

Man, that was a damn good movie.  It would have made an even better season, but what can you do?  

EDIT: Neelix getting a field commission? :facepalm:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2010, 07:10:14 PM »

A better season invalidated by a reset button.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »

Yeah watching an entire season of show just get poofed away blew hard when they did it on Dallas 25 years ago.  It wouldn't have been any better in Voyager.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »

Why would it have to have been a reset button?

Here's how I would have ended it.

[spoiler] Janeway sets the collision course with Red Foreman's ship.  Tuvok, disobeying Janeway's orders, beams her off Voyager before the collision and reactivates his ship's temporal shielding.  The Zahl, who was the race that they originally came in to contact with gives the senior staff of Voyager a ship to get them on the way back home.  Once they leave the sector, they start running across former Voyager crew in the next season, slowly reuniting Voyager's family.  Now with Tuvok with amazing movie-era LaForge ocular implants!  Sure, it's not USS Voyager anymore, but there's some of that change that Voyager desperately needed. [/spoiler]

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »

While watching Lexx's musical episode, one of my friends suggested TNG should have had a musical episode.

I'll just put that one out there.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »

Fun trivia! The writer of episode Threshold (Janeway and Paris turn into newts) was written by the producer of the sci-fi series Threshold.

Threshold was probably the stupidest episode of all Star Trek. They invent Warp 10, but never use it again. They fix Janeway and Paris just by beaming them through the transporter buffer, but never use this technique again. Quote from the writer:

"I wrote the episode, or at least the teleplay. It's a terrible episode. People are very unforgiving about that episode. I've written well over a hundred episodes of Star Trek, yet it seems to be the only episode anyone brings up, you know? "Brannon Braga, who wrote Threshold!" Out of a hundred and some episodes, you're gonna have some stinkers! Unfortunately, that was a royal, steaming stinker. And... it had some good intentions behind it. It had a good premise, breaking the warp 10 barrier. I don't know where this whole "de-evolving into a lizard" thing came from. I may have blocked it out. I think I was trying to make a statement about evolution not necessarily being evolving toward higher organisms, that evolution may also be a de-evolution. You know, we kind of take it for granted that evolution means bigger brains, more technology, you know, more refined civilization. When in fact, for all we know, we're evolving back toward a more primordial state. Ultimately, who can predict? Unfortunately, none of this came across in the episode. And all we were left with were some lizard... things crawling around in the mud. So. It was not my shining moment."

The Tuvix episode was pretty stupid too. Janeway rules that beaming Tuvix back into his component people is murder, but orders the Doctor to do it anyway. The Doctor concurs with Janeway, points out that as a doctor he can do no harm, develops the unethical separation procedure anyway, and contents his conscience by having Janeway press the button. Despite this, in another episode he refuses to perform a life-saving medical procedure when he discovers it was by unethical moral research. (Then uses it anyway, but feels bad about it.)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2010, 02:56:37 AM »

Oh I don't know... horrific writer abuse of the transporter is a grand tradition stretching back to the original series.

Doesn't mean it's not terrible writing though.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2010, 04:16:43 AM »

Why would it have to have been a reset button?

Because this is Voyager we're talking about. The status quo must be maintained at all costs.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2010, 04:52:21 AM »

You know, that show might have had a chance to be good if they had dared to throw that premise out the window. In that sense, Year of Hell was like the symbol of everything that show ever did wrong.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »

Voyager had the Sliders problem where you know they won't get home until the series ends, and the series will continue for as long as people will watch.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17