Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Everblue March  (Read 4084 times)

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Everblue March
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 08:09:21 AM »

Hey Newb, what class is Seeker? I don't find it in PHB or PHB2.

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 08:57:04 AM »

I guess today is a no go.  Sunday and maybe even Monday seem like they'll have a much better turn out.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 09:24:55 AM »

Hey Newb, what class is Seeker? I don't find it in PHB or PHB2.

That's because it's in PHB3, and is debuting on the full version of the Character Builder as a preview. The Seeker is a Primal Controller, using a variety of natural and elemental spirits to imbue ranged attacks with extra effects. Here's the full list of classes in the CB as of February, 2010:

DEFENDER
Swordmage (Arcane)
Paladin (Divine)
Fighter (Martial)
Warden (Primal)
Battlemind (Psionic)

LEADER
Artificer (Arcane)
Bard (Arcane)
Cleric (Divine)
Warlord (Martial)
Shaman (Primal)
Ardent (Psionic)

STRIKER
Sorcerer (Arcane)
Warlock (Arcane)
Avenger (Divine)
Ranger (Martial)
Rogue (Martial)
Barbarian (Primal)
Monk (Psionic)
Assassin (Shadow)

CONTROLLER
Wizard (Arcane)
Invoker (Divine)
Druid (Primal)
Seeker (Primal)
Psion (Psionic)

Really looking forward to WotC making a Martial Controller, and Shadow classes for everything but Striker—or just more non-Strikers in general.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »

I'm going to be running a campaign employing the Westmarch campaign style.   It's going to be a 4e Dungeons and Dragons game with two main caveats to set it apart from standard campaigns: 
1)  Totally player-driven "plot" [or a lack of plot, if you will] centered around exploration and high danger.
2)  Maintain a large player base (ideally 20+ characters), who self-schedule the sessions with each other.

To the point:  If you think you'll have time at least once every 2-3 months for a 3+ hour session, I want your Email Address NOW.  I'll be making a mailing list for everyone interested (and some who I think might be...), and once the roll call is through I'll be sending out another email with more specific information.

Read up about this whole crazy Westmarch business in much greater detail here:  http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/  Great blog for RP stuff in general too, so you're welcome.

What communications systems are we using for this? Gametable and Ventrilo? IRC, maybe? A ream of graph paper and carrier pigeons?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 02:08:08 PM »

I'm waiting on Aintaer to hash out some final details.  Gametable alone would work in a fashion, but I'm open to improvements.  Ventrilo's right out, as some people don't have mic's or would rather not bother.

I realize I should of spelled out some of this stuff in that prep email!  HIIINDSIGHT!

EDIT:  This is my first time running a game online, and admittedly I'm quite nubly when it comes to IPs, channels, ports and other such arcanities.  You got an AIM or somethin and maybe we can work this stuff out right about now?

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 10:47:45 AM »

Let me see if I can get that set up—I should be online right now as jsnlxndrlv. Also online Google Chat and IRC at #finalfight.
Signature:

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »

Yeah guys, make sure you have Gametable 2.0 RC7, and if there's a problem loading up, edit the .bat file and add -Xmx128m in front of -jar.

Also, the extra pogs are at http://www.aintaer.com/Play/everblue_pogs.zip
Unzip into your Gametable folder and F5 inside Gametable to load them, make sure your gametable.bat reads:
java -Xmx128m -jar gametable.jar

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »

Today we had Ucammis, Zinck, Diesa Marbleheart, and Hurk on a trip to the fallen city of Maridan. We met up in the tavern, got acquainted, and started marching west. The fog came up pretty bad, and we made camp just north of a lake, but nothing terrible happened.

Next morning we continued to the west, but we came upon a huge mound covered in insects, and we decided to leave the road to avoid getting too close. We were able to get back to the road further west without incident; later that day, we reached Maridan. Within the city walls, few buildings remained intact, but we did see one imposing structure worth investigating.

Inside the building, we immediately noticed and set off a trap, which caused two repeating crossbow turrets to pop up and riddle us with holes. We managed to disable them, but not before the five kobolds in the next room heard the combat; we were able to hold the door shut long enough to catch our breath before taking them on. After dealing with the kobolds, we found a couple gold pieces and some fine silverware, but we had to cut our exploration short for the day.
Signature:

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »

So I heard Aintaer talked down a wildman and made him consider a career in the sciences. HOW PROFOUND.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 06:48:20 PM »

Yes indeed, this time, I was drunk in our tavern when a human walked up to us and wanted to join in our fun. I suppose I make everything look good. So we set out west, back to the kobold lair we found before, but tragedy! We were waylaid before we reached Maridan by three impoverished looking humans. Trying to communicate casually with them failed, and we had to resort to more... face-hurting methods. But these humans, something was wrong with them; They fought ferociously and our dwarven madam fell unconscious. We felled two of them, who were wielding what looked like insect legs, and the last one was closing with us.
Seeing this, I did what I could, and what I could do was convince the remaining human, driven with madness, to give up this senseless act. It would prove nothing and only serve to hurt him. In fact, he should re-evaluate his circumstances and do something good for himself, go home, be a family man, take up the banner of science and contribute back to the society that he inhabited. I put forth all my power to convince him of this, and of this he was convinced.
After this, our newfound human companion was too shaken by what she had encountered and left us, heading back to Greendale. We investigated the bodies a bit and found their eyes still darting around despite the bodies being quite dead. Their insectoid leg weapons also looked grafted onto their bodies. As all Tieflings know fires cure everything, I had their bodies set ablaze in a pyre. The insect mound has something to do with this, I suspect.

As night fell just as we reached the outskirts of Maridan, we made camp, only to find kobold tracks nearby in the morning. They knew we were coming and they were ready for us. As we breached the doors, four of the little buggers were behind overturned tables, lobbing vases of flaming oil at us. Pity all fire does is cleanse and calm me, but it did a bit more to our dwarven companion, whose beard was unfortunately caught alight. The little guys were more ferocious than we'd anticipated and stabbed me with knives that I presume they found in the kitchen. Though my furious speech, the halfling's dreadful incantations, and the dwarven hammer ruined many future broods of kobolds, there were far too many of them, and we had to retreat.  As we made our way out of the town, the little lizards gave chase but could not match our desire to not die.
However, luck was not on our side as our way back was met with an ambush by goblins! They're never without their wolf scouts, and the puppies entangled the dwarf.  And the goblins quickly closed in on the rest of us. Things looked dim for us, the little halfling warlock was knocked unconscious, I was bleeding heavily, but the dwarf was finally able to disentangle herself from the dogs by sending them to hell, and I invoked the power of pumpernickles to rehabilitate the halfling, though in the process the goblin caught me and the world went dark.

The rest is told to me after I awoke after the battle, the dwarf was able to flank the goblin as it was focused on the halfling and send it flying into space. The last goblin was unceremoniously hammered and rent into a spasming pile of rubble by magic. And I find myself once again in the world of the living.
Time for another drink.

Oh yes, and the halfling drew a map while I was resting, apparently.

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »

Updated the original post with new info and what-nots.

Setuthua

• Lord of the CockDuster
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »

Hello there friendly neckbeards!

This is Eric the Friendly Mammal. I would like to gather a group to raid the koboldz candies and prizes! Is anyone free this sunday?

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »

I have put up a Google Groups thingy here: http://groups.google.com/group/everblue-march

Makes consolidating all this information a bit easier

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »

I would like to join this, or at least get more info about it. email for this is malikial@gmail.com

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 11:22:30 AM »

If you would like to join, go to http://groups.google.com/group/everblue-march and request membership.

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »

:glee: ~ Awwwesome.   

Always happy to have more people!

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »

That last fight was crazy. 

YOU WERE ALL SUPPOSED TO DIE.   :rage:  YOUR SURVIVAL HAS ANGERED THE DM GREATLY.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »

It was a pretty excellent session, all around. I really like using Maptool.

We started with Ucammis, Diesa, Zinck, and myself at the Wobbly Wench, enjoying the fruits of Ucammis's recent fishing expedition. Our trip back to Maridan was uneventful; for once there was no activity at the insect hive, but we kept our distance all the same. Once into the city proper, we noticed signs of increased kobold activity, and thought to find an alternate entrance to the building we've been ransacking, but the back door was blocked with some heavy boulders that would have taken too much time to move and drawn too much attention. So: back we go to the main entrance.

The kobolds were, again, waiting for us. They were still using their barricades and flung javelins at us, but we were able to take most out pretty quickly—and then the kobold burninator stepped forward and did in a number of his own allies in his attempts to immolate us. We made quick work of the lot of them.

Sounds of eating came from the next room; four strapping kobolds with big dragon-emblazoned shields were sitting around a table, and they proved a bit more troublesome than their guards in the entryway. They managed to corner us in one end of the room and occasionally flank us. While they may have been a little sturdier than their fellows, they weren't much more of a threat, and our superior use of penalizing and disabling abilities and pushes to make use of ranged attacks finished them off before too long. We were riding high; our teamwork was solid, we were making a lot of good rolls, and those shields were gonna sell for a lot of money. We were confident.

Too confident.

The south-east passage out of the dining room lead to the other side of a collapsed passage out of the entry way; it was a 20' x 20' room with some tapestries and other stored goods, as well as a pool of water. We were so focused on the goodies in the room, we moved right on in—and I stepped up to the pool before I had a chance to notice that the "water" was moving kind of oddly.

The blue slime was a large creature with pseudopod strikes that reach two squares and a ridiculous attack where it basically slimes everything in the vicinity for massive damage. The room was only 4x4, so it seemed important to me that we get down the hall away from it and attack from superior range. Unfortunately, by the time most of us had gotten away, its attacks had whittled Ucammis to dangerously low health, and he was stuck right next to it. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place: run out of its range and risk an attack of opportunity, or shift one square away and risk all manner of attacks? He shifted, the slime knocked him unconscious, and we all started coming back to try to knock it away from him. He'd gotten two strikes before he could be healed, but after biting our lips and using our dailies, we managed to strike the goop down.

Our last fight was a knock-down, drag-out fight that started with a bunch of kobolds and a kobold handler and their enormous draft lizard, and would end with the four of us (plus the gnoll, Gryndos, who showed up just after the start of battle) scattered throughout rooms of the complex fighting an assortment of kobold skirmishers and slingers and their chieftain. Unfortunately I had to prepare some baked potatoes and roast chicken for dinner near the end, and Hurk appropriately enough could not make the save to recover from stunning, so you might want to listen to Ucammis's version of events to find out what happened.

Anyway, Hurk leveled up. After the awkwardness of trying to figure out whether I could actually switch between weapons fast enough last game, I just threw up my hands and traded my weapons and remaining ammunition in (at 20% of original value) for a magic longbow, a spiked gauntlet, and arrows, using up basically all the money I got.

Is Friday doable for anybody? They gave me the day off work, so I can play any time in the morning, afternoon, or early evening. Starting somewhere in the 5-7ish CST range, we'll be going out until late.
Signature:

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 09:44:06 AM »

I really love these write ups.

And Friday is fine fine fine for me.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 09:01:50 AM »

Probably should have specified a time, huh? Well, I'll be in #finalfight and on Google Chat—AIM's not working for me right now, for some reason—so if anybody shows, we can play; otherwise, I'll assume we're rescheduling for Sunday like usual.
Signature:
Pages: 1 [2] 3