Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Brontoforum browser extension thread!  (Read 5562 times)

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Brontoforum browser extension thread!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »

No. What he SAID was "Why don't you talk to the admins about a function to turn off emoticons in profile settings?"

Right?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »

That was an alternative. The gist of his post is that we shouldn't be so mean to him because he's stupid, but develop methods to hide that he's stupid.

Like yyler's amazing script!

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »

I think we are reading different posts.
I keep seeing him as saying "I'm a dumbass, I know. But I am getting better. It doesn't matter though because you guys will hate me no matter what."

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »

For the record, that was the first post of Walker's I can recall reading entirely. I thought it was pretty good. Just the right amount of pissy... I gave him 8/10 and thought he was a PRO PRO poster.

Please don't ban me for :scruffy: the previous :scruffy: commentary.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »

Why do I just know that this won't end well?

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 12:20:01 PM »

No. What he SAID was "Why don't you talk to the admins about a function to turn off emoticons in profile settings?"

Right?

And it's a dumb idea because the emoticons are not the problem, it's the fact that people will throw seventeen different emoticons into a single post and call it good.

Imagine we're having a weekly pot-luck dinner. Most people bring dishes that have tasty and clever use of condiments... but two or three guys just keep bringing a bowl full of ketchup or mustard or mayo sprinkled with salt, pepper, sugar, and Parmesan cheese. Maybe there's some meat under there or something; I don't know. And then when we complain about this, their attitude is that perhaps people who don't like it can go to a potluck where CONDIMENTS ARE BANNED ENTIRELY.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »

If he's not bananable he's at least banandicapped.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »

Imagine we're having a weekly pot-luck dinner. Most people bring dishes that have tasty and clever use of condiments... but two or three guys just keep bringing a bowl full of ketchup or mustard or mayo sprinkled with salt, pepper, sugar, and Parmesan cheese. Maybe there's some meat under there or something; I don't know. And then when we complain about this, their attitude is that perhaps people who don't like it can go to a potluck where CONDIMENTS ARE BANNED ENTIRELY.

You can just skip the metaphors and say "emoticon-only posts suck" (yes i am guilty, i do not claim to have a 100% clean posting record because i am not sharkey)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »

tl;dr Walker has it out with everybody in a paragraphs-long fight to the death (or at least to the annoyance of surrounding posters)!  Footage at Page 11!

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 02:18:34 PM »

Okay anyway, this is just a userscript so it works in Chrome, Firefox, and probably Opera and Safari using whatever they do.

Ignoring more people is easy, and the script explains it. Open it in your favorite text editor and you'll see this:
Code: [Select]
//to ignore user with id 1, 2 a 3 uncomment the following lines, evtl. add more lines in format "banned.push(uid);"
//banned.push(1);
//banned.push(2);
//banned.push(3);
banned.push(367);

The first three lines are commented out, and the last one ignores Bleck. I trust you all understand that much. 367 is his user ID. Add another line with another user ID to ignore another person. Walker's is 280. I don't advise blocking Classic.

I don't know about emoticon only posts. Probably can't ignore them, I don't know (or rather, I know what I could do to do it and it's a lot of work). I could look into it. Seems somewhat fruitless.

(In Chrome, which has somewhat shoddy userscript support, you'll have to go to the extensions page and uninstall it before re-adding it with whatever new lines you add.)

Walker

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • Crowded Street Advanced, Inc. - Updated Once Every Black President
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »

Clearly, I should just go back to lurking.  Actually posting anything just never seems to work out.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 03:30:02 PM »

It helps if you're not a complete retard.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »

I am against blocking or ignoring certain posters because some of the funniest posts I've ever seen here are in response to complete idiots making fools of themselves.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 03:46:30 PM »

Normally i agree, but Bleck just sucks. He's just a shitty low-rent 4chan troll. When he says something stupid, people will rebut it brilliantly and he'll move his goalposts and continue making an ass of himself. There isn't even value in calling him nasty names. He is a big stinky heap of garbage in a human suit.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »

I am against blocking or ignoring certain posters because some of the funniest posts I've ever seen here are in response to complete idiots making fools of themselves.
Ah! This argument!

No, no, see, whenever someone is snarky they quote the bad post in their own snarky post so everyone knows. So no one has to change anything! You can still see sick burns and what they are burning without reading anything else, ever, forever and ever amen.

But if you don't like it anyway, that's alright, not everyone will. People are still up in arms at the inclusion of a default ignore list in php BB 3. Just don't use it.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »

it's film

film at 11
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 11:02:29 PM »

Pffft. Y'all a bunch of hypocritical dicks.
I don't think anyone is a bad poster.
I think some posts are low on the entertainment factor, but I don't condemn a poster because he is a bad poster.
Nope. The posts that get on my nerves are when people be angry asses by yelling at people.
I know that not everyone likes each other but damn it be civil about it.
Calling each other out left and right is just not a good thing to do.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 11:16:23 PM »

Pffft. Y'all a bunch of hypocritical dicks.
I don't think anyone is a bad poster.
I think some posts are low on the entertainment factor, but I don't condemn a poster because he is a bad poster.
Nope. The posts that get on my nerves are when people be angry asses by yelling at people.
I know that not everyone likes each other but damn it be civil about it.
Calling each other out left and right is just not a good thing to do.
, pretty much. I simply wanted to beat the inevitable Classic joke (though it makes me equally hypocritical herp a derp). He's alright with me even if he is incredibly lame and predictable sometimes.

I'd like to think that good posting is a learned behavior, so ostracizing and alienating new or mediocre posters can be counterproductive. And if they're learning disabled... well, we banned Sora eventually, right?
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 11:20:28 PM »

Look to your left.

Now look to your right?

Did you see a bad poster on either side? If not, it could be you.

If you saw two bad posters, you could be Norondor Yyler.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 04:59:54 AM »

To my left is a dog and to my right is a bookshelf. And let me tell you this dog is a lousy forum member.
Pages: 1 [2] 3