Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 131

Author Topic: Babble about a video game you are playing  (Read 223941 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Babble about a video game you are playing
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 10:35:57 PM »

Final Fantasy 12. What a brilliant game to start with in my stack of games I havn't played yet.

And I want to follow it up with Final Fantasy 5 because I've had a serious Job Class boner going.  :fail:

You do realize that FFXII takes the concept of character classes and throttles it until it stops moving, right?

Which I just realized is funny, because the rest of the Ivalice Alliance(R)(TM) series pretty much jerks off in solemnity to it.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 11:06:43 PM »

Playing Sins of a Solar Empire right now, to the point where it's quite literally killing my computer.

While the graphics aren't that up-to-spec for this day in age, it's by far my favorite strategy game overall, but not in destroyer-group level battles:  Homeworld 2 still wins in that category. 

If my computer would'nt fry and die after an hour of it, I suspect that I could spend a day on a single map.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »

You do realize that FFXII takes the concept of character classes and throttles it until it stops moving, right?

I would presume that's why he wants to play FFV afterwards.

Or it could be that the vain fucker is bragging about how he used his ill-gotten funds from repeatedly ejaculating onto the faces of his co-stars to get the International Version.

In the meantime, I've been steadily slogging through FFTA, and actually sort of enjoyed the story. In spite of how MAIN CHARACTER is kind of a dink, the game tells you that you're a loser for letting yourself get dragged into that fantasy world.

Incidentally, I discovered that, while the enemies were horrible beasts in later levels, dual weilding the holy absorbing and holy power boosting paladin swords basically made you an unstoppable death machine, capable of even robbing SSOB-BUS blind.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 12:41:34 AM »

I liked FFTA precisely because of how light it was. I think there should be more lightweight tactical RPGs.

Playing some Advance Wars: Dawn of Ruin today. It is pretty neat how they add auxiliary abilities to units, so their combat effectiveness isn't changed much but they are tactically useful in other situations. Like the way rigs can build temporary buildings, and carriers can make planes, and a gunboat can carry a dude.

The character Brenner is excellent.

I keep accidentally touching the Zoom button.
...but is it art?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 12:45:20 AM »

I liked FFTA precisely because of how light it was. I think there should be more lightweight tactical RPGs.

Oh man, have we got a game for you.

Luso Clemens!

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 01:38:10 AM »

Oh man, have we got a game for you.

Luso Clemens!

Honestly, I'm looking forward to FFTA2. I enjoyed the first one, and now there are two new races and several new job classes. If nothing else, it'll be a good game to play for a few minutes here and there, like the first one was.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 02:08:38 PM »

Classic got it, actually. FF12 is neat, but I can't imagine playing the game anyway other than "Leader = Tank, The Other Two Goons Carry Ranged Weapons And Cast Buffs/Cure Debuffs." So you know, now I've got an itchin' for some job switchin'.

Though messing around with weapon setups in FF12 is pretty fun. I was very pleased when I could set it up so that my two ranged goons had Stop/Poison Bombs and Silencing Guns.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »

Classic got it, actually. FF12 is neat, but I can't imagine playing the game anyway other than "Leader = Tank, The Other Two Goons Carry Ranged Weapons And Cast Buffs/Cure Debuffs." So you know, now I've got an itchin' for some job switchin'.

NUKE NUKE NUKE
TANK TANK TANK
HEAL HEAL HEAL
...but is it art?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »

If you took the Chaining and Mark systems to a MMO... it'd.. it'd probably work out. I mean, you'd have to redo the MMO concept entirely, since it's currently based AROUND killing 100 of the same monster in a row, but you see where I'm going with this.

INNOVASHUN  :HUGE:

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2008, 04:44:02 PM »

How long do you think an MMO without resurrection spells would last? Die once, die forever?

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2008, 04:54:52 PM »

That really sounds like a hilarious and suicidally expensive joke that few would get.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2008, 07:07:06 PM »

if diablo 2 was pay to play... :smile: :MENDOZAAAAA: :omg: :gameover:

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »

Nethack online. Or ADOM at least.
...but is it art?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2008, 09:54:24 PM »

I've wanted to see an MMO without infinite respawns for a long, long time.  Base your status not on your single character's prestige, which is fleeting and easily destroyed, but your clan or country's.  Completely unmarketable for obvious reasons.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »

I suspect you could make it work by creating ludicrous power-ups for establishing "marriages" or some such a thing to create patri-matri-or mixed -lineal progeny to continue your story on and just accelerate the time frame sort of nuts-like. The goal of a player isn't to establish any one particular person, but to establish a family. The greater resources and abilities you get from a previous life translate into tangible benefits to future offspring, creating new and astounding min-maxing opportunities.

Unfortunately, the limited scope of each character's life would also mean few, if any, level ups per lifetime. This is probably to the immense detriment of basically everyone who ever likes MMOs.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2008, 11:33:07 PM »

That's what I said.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »

Played through Layton over the past three days or so at work, finished the last puzzle (including bonuses/the lone current DLC offering) tonight.  I never would have thought a dime story puzzle book smashed together with Tintin would have been so great.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Koah

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2008, 04:59:42 PM »

After three dwarves died in a goblin ambush, the inhabitants of my fort have now become so depressed over this turn of events that they've all descended into an orgy of violence, tearing apart workshops, furniture and each other in a display of rage and grief.

In retrospect, calling the society "The Boats of Murder" may have been a really, really bad idea.

...oh man, now a child went berserk and one of the marksdwarves had to gun him down.  The housing level is just a pool of blood, vomit and Dwarf chunks at this point.

...and one of the dwarves has a strange mood and makes a legendary crossbow.  Then gets killed thirty seconds later.  Eye of madness, I tell you.  Eye of madness.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2008, 05:38:27 AM »

Finished Portrait of Ruin.

The characters became a bit more dimensional, but the levels just as repetitive. The bosses landed somewhere between rape and RAPE.

Nice of them to provide all the nymphs with voices; the Sound Test is titular.

Request to :vampire:. If you revisit this Symphony of the Night + Rondo of Blood formula again, do so with variety. As a matter of fact, this is your excuse to return to the console with 2D. The scope justifies the budget.

Played through Layton over the past three days or so at work, finished the last puzzle (including bonuses/the lone current DLC offering) tonight.

[spoiler]The Hidden Door, let me show you them.[/spoiler]

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5UfB1_Jznvg

Space Invaders Extreme is the fucking hotness.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 131