Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GRRRR KARMA  (Read 3039 times)

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
GRRRR KARMA
« on: March 21, 2010, 01:56:59 PM »

(I'd point out the irony of the guy who likes to spend six pages bitching about me in unrelated threads turning around and complaining about disorganized threads, but he might de-karma me.)
Thad, you make the assumption here that I wouldn't make use of a thread to complain about you

And I also dekarma you as a joke, not because I Super Hate you or anything; presumably you think otherwise because you like to bring up how I kind of dislike you.

Which is kinda what I don't like about karma, really: people use it as a measure of their posting and take it very seriously and assume that karma is the only way I can feel good about myself when I post on your forums.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: GRRRR KARMA
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »

I actually agree entirely.  The fact that you don't understand that falls under my previous comments about you not getting the joke, but that is neither here nor there.

I don't think it's really good for anything but making people more obnoxious -- bragging about how much karma they have, whining when somebody takes away their karma, or suggesting that your opinion is less valid because you have less karma.

My opinions are a matter of record and have clearly been overruled.  So it goes.  It hasn't caused any (real) fights this time, and until such time as it does, consider any complaints I make as Oscar the Grouch-style grumping rather than a serious campaign to get rid of it.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 02:40:40 PM »

Honestly, the kind of people who feel that someone's karma rating has anything to do with what they're saying on a given topic are retards whether we have the system or not.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »

...that doesn't make any sense.

How is there a karma rating if we don't have a karma system?

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »

I mean that the sort of people who would let someone's karma stats alter the way they responded to a post are already idiots, and having the karma system or not wouldn't change that.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 03:02:09 PM »

I mean that the sort of people who would let someone's karma stats alter the way they responded to a post are already idiots, and having the karma system or not wouldn't change that.

I think you're forgetting the problems we had the last time we had a karma system.  They were very specific to the existence of a karma system.

We had people who took karma really seriously, and people (by which I mean "me") who liked to deliberately provoke the people who took karma really seriously.  Like Yyler is doing, except without his johnny-come-lately confusion.

I'm going to do my part to avoid that happening again -- by which I mean I'm not going to intentionally and actively contribute to it this time (:hurr:) -- but if it starts up again my vote's to dump it.  Or otherwise de-fang it like we did on the old board (positive-only, removal of per-day limitations, etc.).

But until then, yeah, go nuts.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 03:33:53 PM »

It's really helping me cope, since if someone makes me mad, I can just give them a quick dekarma and I feel less pissed off
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 03:34:45 PM »

Were there actually genuine issues between people in the olden days concerning karma?

It just seems like if anyone is legitimately using a binary + or - numerical system to measure their worth through a dinosaur-themed internet message board (to wit: enough to honestly get angry about it) then that's a problem I shouldn't have to lose my sweet like/dislike system to solve. The easier and probably more helpful solution would simply be to remind the aggrieved how hilariously absurd it would be to take karma seriously.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »

yeah, go nuts.
I've done just that, giving karma only for things that I enjoy/value and choosing "randomly" what variety of karma to give.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 03:37:17 PM »

GUYS I'M QUITTING FORVER WUARGH!

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »

I DIDNT START THIS THREAD SOMEONE HACKED MY ACCOUNT!!!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:45:20 PM »

Were there actually genuine issues between people in the olden days concerning karma?

GOD yes.

GUYS I'M QUITTING FORVER WUARGH!

See?  Mongrel remembers.

I DIDNT START THIS THREAD SOMEONE HACKED MY ACCOUNT!!!

I AM DEKARMAING YOU FOR BEING A HACKER

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 09:52:05 PM »

ALSO, YOU ARE ALL BANNED.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 11:07:17 PM »

You could just remove the ability to give negative karma, if it becomes a drama issue.

Or we could be grownuuuuuuuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh okay maybe we should consider taking negative karma away from the kids.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 11:11:57 PM »

Well you could always enforce the dickless masses again.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 11:31:16 PM »

Uh, for clarification, I was not seriously complaining about karma--I was parroting a post of Thad's.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 02:55:30 AM »

ALSO, YOU ARE ALL BANNED.

A vote for Thad is a vote for JUSTICE.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 06:17:40 AM »

You misspelled HITLER.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 06:11:09 PM »

Uh, for clarification, I was not seriously complaining about karma--I was parroting a post of Thad's.

It sure is convenient how every time you say something stupid and wrong it turns out you were actually being hip and ironic only nobody noticed.

(Actually in this case you were not saying anything stupid and wrong, you were just stupidly pointing it in the wrong direction.  So now you are pointing out that an observation you made that was actually intelligent was not intended to be taken seriously.  Or something.  I don't know, I think I'm gonna go play Mass Effect.)
Pages: [1] 2